First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Where are you guys finding bargains on DEF?
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I always bought mine at Walmart (Supertech brand). It is API certified and was about $7.00 for 2.5 gallons. There are some fuel stations that sell it in bulk near the diesel pumps.

AppleJacks23

First Name
A.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Human Resources
Vehicle Showcase
Planning on Buc-ees since they have bulk def at the pumps. Think QT does too. Can't help you if not in Texas :)

Sponsored

FL_Diesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Diesel
Go to any big truck stops and dispense from the pump.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I always bought mine at Walmart (Supertech brand). It is API certified and was about $7.00 for 2.5 gallons. There are some fuel stations that sell it in bulk near the diesel pumps.
This is the way to go. That's $14 for 5 gallons and should last nearly 10,000 miles. If $14 breaks your budget over 10,000 miles you bought the wrong vehicle.

The reason I avoid pump DEF is because you don't know how long it's been sitting there, what's in it, or if it meets spec. Does the station make sure to change the filter regularly? Do they keep the tank heated in cold weather? Do they get it from a reputable provider? Who knows!

If you buy it off the shelf you know it's been kept out of the weather, it meets spec, and you know where it came from and what you're getting.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
This is the way to go. That's $14 for 5 gallons and should last nearly 10,000 miles. If $14 breaks your budget over 10,000 miles you bought the wrong vehicle.

The reason I avoid pump DEF is because you don't know how long it's been sitting there, what's in it, or if it meets spec. Does the station make sure to change the filter regularly? Do they keep the tank heated in cold weather? Do they get it from a reputable provider? Who knows!

If you buy it off the shelf you know it's been kept out of the weather, it meets spec, and you know where it came from and what you're getting.
I think some people might also be less likely to accidentally throw the DEF in the fuel tank when using the 2.5 gallon bottle/box. Not being at the fuel station, you really have no reason to have the green cap off.

I personally don't ever plan to utilize pump DEF.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
My newly purchased DEF container says not to store above 88 degrees. In Phoenix, our entire life is above 88 degrees.
That is a quandary.

I doubt they ship that stuff in refrigerated trailers. So I guess it's just a matter of how long it can be subjected to high temps. Hmmm speaking of, the DEF in the tank is subjected to the same temps.

You guys don't usually have basements down there right? It's all slab on grade? Leave it in the front hall closet?! LOL.

Sponsored

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
I have been using Bluedef Platinum. Its suppose to be good for the system. We will see.
I pick it up at a local Oreilly auto parts.

Ruri

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD, Gen 2 Raptor, 997.1 Turbo, F90 Competition
Occupation
Not FDIC
Harbor Freight has Peak blue def for $12 for 2.5 gallon jug after their 20% off coupon is applied.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
We fill up def at truck stops and fill a 5 gallon jug when we’re there too. It’s usually 1.99-2.99 per gallon. This is for our truck. We’re going thru 20+ gallons in 7k miles or so.

brett

Jdog.fl24

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon EcoDiesel
Tractor Supply in Orlando, Florida has it on sale for Qty 2 - 2.5gal Blue Def for $15.

I have used 5 gals of DEF since new, it has been 3 months and just over 6,000 miles.

blue def.jpg

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Has anyone broken the code for the "use by" date for Blue Def. Actually, I think that they list (cryptically) the manufacture date. I seem to remember reading something, but the process was akin to splitting the atom.

Here in AZ we face quicker spoilage than the rest of you and I don't want to buy something that's already shelf-weary.
Sponsored