Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Bulk DEF at the pump will work with your Wrangler or any vehicle...
Oh, in another thread I thought someone said that the DEF nozzles were bigger for the semis. I must have been mistaken.
Sponsored

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, in another thread I thought someone said that the DEF nozzles were bigger for the semis. I must have been mistaken.
They are not. I have refilled my 2013 RAM 3500, 2014 RAM 3500, 2018 RAM 4500 and current 2022 RAM 5500 at the truck lanes many times with bulk DEF. The hose at the pump is no different in size than the 2.5 gallon jugs with flexible nozzles.

High-Strung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JLURD
In the summer, I had to buy BlueDEF from Walmart. The DEF light came on but I noticed the estimated mileage was dropping quickly so I had no choice but to get it at Wally-Mart since the closest truckstop was about 90 miles the opposite way. I just looked through all the boxes of DEF until I found one with a recent manufacture date.

I haven't had a problem with it, but I will try to pump DEF the next time, as I've heard horror stories of using boxed BlueDEF.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't had a problem with it, but I will try to pump DEF the next time, as I've heard horror stories of using boxed BlueDEF.
The biggest problem I could foresee with it is if some assssssshole returns a DEF container to Walmart for a refund, and they returned the container with water....after having dispensed the DEF into their own vehicle.

Read about it many times on some different RAM / Cummins forums.

Anyone purchasing DEF by the box...be sure to check the seal.....and you’ll hopefully be good to go.

JLeco2022

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 3.0 V6 Eco Diesel
i'd never buy boxed DEF, truck stop or push, boxes feels like way too much hassle

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
LOL, actually is the exact opposite of this. You don't know how long the DEF has been sitting in Walmart or whatever warehouse, etc. The pump DEF, especially at a large, busy truckstop is as fresh as you can get and far cheaper than the packaged stuff. Truckers have to add this maybe not every fillup but close to it. They go through a lot of fuel. Their DEF tank is relatively small.
Actually you're wrong and it's exactly like I stated because packaged DEF is date stamped and labeled per U.S. regulations. Pump DEF could literally be cat piss and you'd have no idea. And it's out in the weather, and all the other things I correctly stated previously.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Last time I went for DEF at the pump, I felt like a minnow swimming with sharks as I wandered through the semi lanes at the truck stop off the thruway.

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
Actually you're wrong and it's exactly like I stated because packaged DEF is date stamped and labeled per U.S. regulations. Pump DEF could literally be cat piss and you'd have no idea. And it's out in the weather, and all the other things I correctly stated previously.
LOL! Gotta love egos!

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Pump DEF could literally be cat piss and you'd have no idea. And it's out in the weather, and all the other things I correctly stated previously.
Yeah.....because Love’s, Pilot Flying J, T/A, Petro, and other large truckstops are gonna dispense cat piss into their underground DEF storage tanks, just so $155k to $180k Volvo, Freightliner, Kenworth, and Peterbilt semis can file a product claim with them for downtime and repair reimbursement.

If it’s good enough for a $160k road tractor.....it should be good enough for anyones JL or JLU.

I ran NOTHING but bulk DEF at the pump in my previous 2018 RAM 4500 through 474k miles.....with zero issues.

Last edited:

Yankee1019

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500 Crew Cab, 2023 JLU Reign Willys
I'm guessing that Platinum DEF is just marketing, right?
Yes. DEF must comply with ISO 22241 and must not have any other additives. The only thing that can be safely added to your DEF tank other than DEF is distilled water. This will likely trigger a fault code (not immediately mind you) for NOx catalyst efficiency being outside of the limits for the vehicle’s software calibration but it won’t damage anything.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I wish it were available at the pump near me. Nearest DEF pump is over 30 miles from home and not on my commute.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Pretty easy and I only look at the first 5 numbers after the state code. First 2 number minus 1 = year manufactured. If it is 21 then 21 - 1 = 20, so 2020 is the year of the manufacture.
The next 3 digits needs to be subtracted by 365 to get the month and date of manufacture. If it is 165, then 365-165 = 200th day of the year. To get a rough idea I divide the result by 30 to get close to the month and day. So 200 would be somewhere around June/July.
I'm trying to use your decoder, but I can't find an appropriate "first 5 numbers after the state code" anywhere. Unless, of course, it's this number and 12 is a state code.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best source for DEF? PXL_20220908_000938383

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURXR Tuscadero, 2023 JLURXR Reign