Sponsored

Best Snow Tires for a New Wrangler 4xe

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
I ordered through Cartelligent, which is kind-of-dealer, kind-of-not, but I will check with them and see if they will do the swap for me, because that would save me some time stopping at the bottom of the mountain to have them swapped. Good tip!
Wow, never heard of Cartelligent...Let us know how it goes.
Sponsored

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
I have run BGF mud terrains for years including deep snow. Get load range C and keep your air pressure on the low side. You will be fine.

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Just had our first snow here last night. Surprisingly the 4xe on the stock Duellers felt more sure footed than my JKU with Duratracs in 2wd. Must be the battery weight above the rear axle. They have the 3 peak symbol too. For pure winter road driving, the best tires would be a dedicated winter tire. I’d put the winter tires on the stock rims and do an all terrain for the summer on a set of 17s.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
"Snow" tire means different things to different people"...

actually....no.

Snow tires have a snowflake/mountain embossed on the sidewall designating it approved for severe winter conditions.
Which the BFG KO2 have. So, they mean that to you and me, but they don't mean that to different people (Strommen95). So, yeah, "snow" tire means different things to different people.

I get what @Strommen95 is saying, because there is a difference, but I don't always assume "snow" tire means a dedicated snow tire with a different compound and siping. It does mean different things to different people.

I also didn't take the OP to mean a dedicated snow tire (like a Blizzak), necessarily. And very few dedicated snow tires are made in larger sizes (Nokian, as an example, does make some larger sizes, but not all manufacturers do).

https://www.nokiantires.com/snow-winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-lt3/

Edited to add (ETA): it might be interesting to note, in my state traction tires are defined differently than "snow-tread tires" in your state @bossboy302 . In my state they defined them based on that snowflake/mountain definition. While in Calif, M&S is the designation. Surprised the heck out of me, because as most know, the M&S rating is a bs designation that isn't really regulated, while the snowflake/mountain designation is a "real" rating.

"The California Vehicle Code, Section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, "A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall." - https://dot.ca.gov/travel/winter-driving-tips/chain-controls

In Oregon, "traction tires may be used in place of chains on vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight or less and that are not towing or being towed." "Traction Tires are studded tires, retractable studded tires, or other tires that meet the tire industry definition as suitable for use in severe snow conditions. Tires designated by the tire industry as suitable for use in severe snow conditions are marked with a mountain/snowflake emblem on the sidewall" - https://tripcheck.com/Pages/Traction-Tires

Last edited:

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Which the BFG KO2 have. So, they mean that to you and me, but they don't mean that to different people (Strommen95). So, yeah, "snow" tire means different things to different people.

I get what @Strommen95 is saying, because there is a difference, but I don't always assume "snow" tire means a dedicated snow tire with a different compound and siping. It does mean different things to different people.

I also didn't take the OP to mean a dedicated snow tire (like a Blizzak), necessarily. And very few dedicated snow tires are made in larger sizes (Nokian, as an example, does make some larger sizes, but not all manufacturers do).

https://www.nokiantires.com/snow-winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-lt3/
The KO2s are a "snow tire" in the sense it's rated for snow. I interpret OP differently because she said "legit ice and snow" and something about switching them out in the summer. To me, it doesn't make sense to run an All Terrain for just the winter time. The KO2s, or my recommendation for Duratracs, both make sense as a tire one will put on for the year but not just for a few months.

On a personal level, I also disagree with KO2s having a snow rating but they do have it and that's more important than my anecdote.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You're right @Strommen95. I missed the reference to ice. If that's the case, I wouldn't run the BFG KO2, but I'd put the Nokians I referenced above on a separate set of wheels and swap them out after the winter season.

Yaak392

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep Rubicon 392
BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO2
The Falken Wildpeak's that were a factory option on our 392 are the best (traction wise) tire I've had. Not trying to sell the tire, just think it's really really good in the snow.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

First Name
Smurf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4xe (exp delivery end of Jan 2022)
And... follow-up question: Best winter/second-set rims? Combo of reasonable price + "hardcore Jeep vibes look"? (I won't be truly offroading with them-- unless I pick the wrong tires and do so by accident.)

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No doubt, there are some good "all-terrain" tires that are also great in the snow. I've heard good things about Falken Wildpeaks.

That snowflake/mountain designation isn't a joke , but as pointed out, it's not necessarily always a dedicated winter tire either; although I haven't seen a dedicated winter tire without it.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'd look for a set of stock wheels that were taken off when someone "upgraded" to aftermarket wheels.

bossboy302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
it might be interesting to note, in my state traction tires are defined differently than "snow-tread tires" in your state @bossboy302 . In my state they defined them based on that snowflake/mountain definition. While in Calif, M&S is the designation. Surprised the heck out of me, because as most know, the M&S rating is a bs designation that isn't really regulated, while the snowflake/mountain designation is a "real" rating"

As everyone knows in 'my' state there is a different definition for pretty much everything.

bossboy302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Smurf (OP),
If still with us a I have a set of 5 Rubicon wheels removed from a 2015. Contact me if interested.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
Michelin X-ICE snow tires. Those are made in 275/55/20. They are snow tires, and nothing else.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....tireModel=X-Ice+Snow+SUV&partnum=755TR0XISSUV

Here’s a link for Tire Rack. It’s also available from other sellers.
I had the Michelin X Ice on my VW Tiguan AWD and they are awesome... a snowstorm felt like a minor drizzle... I could blow the doors off of other 4WD vehicles... although they probably didn't realize we were racing since it was snowing. And great with ice.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 if you want the real deal. But consider the fact that you will have to swap tires twice a year if you go with a dedicated set of winter tires. Just to carry the tires to the tire shop may mean you will have to rent a trailer (unless you are planning on doing your own tire swaps). If I recall correctly the back seats of the 4xe don’t fold down all the way so you likely won’t be able to put 4 tires in the back of the Jeep. 5 tires if you want the spare to be a dedicated winter tire too.

You might be better off getting all season tires and carrying a set of chains, especially around Tahoe where there is reasonably good road plowing and maintenance.
Sponsored