Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe - ordered, 2019 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security
bridgestone blizzak all the way. i used to live in upper midwest and travelled all over north and north west states in dead beat of winter in blizzard conditions, on ice, deep snow in my stock RAM 1500 - the tire never missed a beat.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@Smurf
I use and recommend General Grabber Arctic LT studded snow tires. They were purchased from Tire Rack, who mounted them on steel wheels (not "rims" ;)) with new TPMS sensors installed. As received, the wheel/tire combos were ready for installation.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Snow Tires for a New Wrangler 4xe 20211120_134350

I've heard nothing but good things about Bridgestone Blizzak tires. They're not studdable, however, which is a deal breaker for me. We've enough icy slush and freezing rain mixed with our snowfall that I require the additional traction that studs demonstrably provide.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Snow Tires for a New Wrangler 4xe February

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Snow Tires for a New Wrangler 4xe signal-2022-01-07-13-54-00-764

Note also that proper snow tires do have a legal definition, and are not subject to interpretation as suggested earlier in the thread.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

Best of luck with things here.

Last edited:

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've had many different snow tires. Right now:
* JLU 2019 Blizzaks
* Subie Forester Michelin X-Ice SNOW
* Stinger Blizzaks
* Clubman Pirelli SotoIce or something

all are 4wd

Point is the Wrangler with Blizzaks the tread packs with snow. I don't know if this helps grip on snowy surfaces. I expected they would throw the snow and clear the tread. Ice performance is good. Snow performance--we haven't had deep snow. Don't know if they were the right purchase.

Past--
* Many Blizzaks
* Many Michelins
* Yokohomas
* Pirellis
* Toyo with walnut shells in...

Last edited:

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
@Smurf

Note also that proper snow tires do have a legal definition, and are not subject to interpretation as suggested earlier in the thread.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

Best of luck with things here.
That's not a legal definition, it is an industry standard. "Proper snow tires" is your term.

As stated previously, the "legal" definition is different, as an example, in Oregon and California. The industry standard for the snowflake/mountain is used in Oregon, while in California they still rely on the M&S definition for snow tires, which is not the same thing. Legal definitions will be determined by the jurisdiction, not by the testing standard.

In your state, of Pennsylvania, they still use M&S, not the snowflake/mountain industry standard,
" iii) Tires manufactured on or after January 1, 1976, shall be permanently labeled on at least one sidewall with the words ‘‘Mud and Snow’’ or any contraction using the letters ‘‘M’’ and ‘‘S,’’ such as MS, M/S, M-S, M & S, and the like." That's the "legal definition" in Pennsylvania for a mud and snow tire, used in snow emergency routes.
Sponsored

Last edited: