Sponsored

Best Snow Tires for a New Wrangler 4xe

Smurf

First Name
Smurf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4xe (exp delivery end of Jan 2022)
OK, y'all, this is my first post here, so be gentle if I make any missteps. :)

Just got the news (somewhat unexpectedly, since I was told by customer support on Tuesday that my build hadn't even started yet!) that my new Wrangler 4xe build is done and this badgirl is on a train somewhere headed to the dealer to prep for delivery in the next couple weeks.

Which means it will be arriving in the dead of winter (I live near Lake Tahoe.)

I need to have snow tires put on it down the mountain before bringing her back up from the dealer, and am thinking of ordering them on the internet and finding a shop to swap them out, since I have time.

What are the best snow tires (not "all weather," have to be legit ice and snow) going right now? And what size and specs do I need? Do I need rims (or whatever they're called), too, since I think I need to switch them back out in summer? I want something big and beefy looking.

Also, bonus question if you're feeling chatty-- brand new to ALL of this. New to EV, New to Jeep, new to 4WD (coming from AWD Subaru)... any tips, must-dos, must-not-dos, fun things I should do to celebrate?

Thank you in advance, stoked to join the "family"!
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO2

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
OP is looking for a dedicated snow tire, which KO2s are definitely not. If OP was looking for something year round, Duratracs would be much better for his concern over snow.

I don’t know what the “best” dedicated winter tire is. Blizzaks in the past never gave me a reason to shop around though.

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
I lived in Carson City for 6 years, daily drove a Camaro at the time. I used MasterCraft Glacier Grip II with studs added and they worked pretty well (especially on a RWD sports car). Made several trips up to the lake in snow/ice, but that was always on roads. I've also heard very good things about Bridgestone Blizzak but never tried them.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
"Snow" tire means different things to different people. In my state it is usually defined this way: " "Traction Tires" are studded tires, retractable studded tires, or other tires that meet the tire industry definition as suitable for use in severe snow conditions." We can use "traction tires" in place of chains. The BFG KO2 meets that definition.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

First Name
Smurf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP is looking for a dedicated snow tire, which KO2s are definitely not. If OP was looking for something year round, Duratracs would be much better for his concern over snow.

I don’t know what the “best” dedicated winter tire is. Blizzaks in the past never gave me a reason to shop around though.
Blizzaks are what I had on my Forester. Definitely a solid tire for up here in Tahoe with the help of AWD/4WD-- Not to be too much of a chick about it, but I do like the beefier/nubbier look of the KO2s. Though my primary concern is not skidding my kids into a ditch.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
My wife’s aunt still lives in Truckee and my BIL went to school up there after Katrina. We always talk about getting up on Donner.

Which trim 4xe did you get? That will determine your stock rim and tire size.

you can swap the tires on the stock rims if you want, but if you want a winter set, will you want aftermarket for the summer or winter?

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

First Name
Smurf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife’s aunt still lives in Truckee and my BIL went to school up there after Katrina. We always talk about getting up on Donner.

Which trim 4xe did you get? That will determine your stock rim and tire size.

you can swap the tires on the stock rims if you want, but if you want a winter set, will you want aftermarket for the summer or winter?
Donner's great! I'm in Truckee, which is on the Donner side.

I got the Sahara 4Xe trim. Says "Bridgestone Brand Tires" and " 275/55R20 BSW All Season Tires" on the build sheet. I am assuming that means I need to get aftermarket for the Winter tires. I am not sure how much time/long-term $ it saves me to have an extra set of rims, but it seems like a lot of people up here do that (the tire places will generally even store them for you, if you want them to.)

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
"Snow" tire means different things to different people. In my state it is usually defined this way: " "Traction Tires" are studded tires, retractable studded tires, or other tires that meet the tire industry definition as suitable for use in severe snow conditions." We can use "traction tires" in place of chains. The BFG KO2 meets that definition.
Regardless of definition, OP asked for the best tire for snow. KO2s are good tires, but they definitely aren’t the best for what they’re concerned about.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Dealers here will generally price match tires. I'd check and have them shipped or ordered there once you pick. They could swap them out before delivery and probably credit you for the take offs. Unless you wanna keep both sets that is. You have all the power until the paperwork is signed!!! Dealers will basically do anything to get perfect dealer surveys.

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Regardless of definition, OP asked for the best tire for snow. KO2s are good tires, but they definitely aren’t the best for what they’re concerned about.
True there are better snow tires but these are awesome all around use if they are going to be on all of the time.

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Dedicated winter tire: Blizzaks all day long no doubt, question, or comparison.

If you want a year rounder you've got loads of options. My last 3 sets have been KM2, KO2, and my current set is the new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T. Recency bias aside, for me they have been the best tire kd the 3. They are silent, sure footed, responsive, and they have handled the NW fall and early winter without fault or flaw. We just had a good snow event here and I couldn't ask for more (given their year round use). They felt a little more bitey than the KO2 but ice is ice and there is only so much grip a large off road tire can muster. This is the main reason having a dedicated winter tire is advantageous. Off road tires generally don't fair well on ice. For powder hounding and spring slush the KM2 was great. If it were my $$$$ and I spent a lot of time in the mountains in winter, I would have a dedicated set of Blizzaks for winter, and a set of (insert brand name here) for summer.

bossboy302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
"Snow" tire means different things to different people"...

actually....no.

Snow tires have a snowflake/mountain embossed on the sidewall designating it approved for severe winter conditions.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

First Name
Smurf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealers here will generally price match tires. I'd check and have them shipped or ordered there once you pick. They could swap them out before delivery and probably credit you for the take offs. Unless you wanna keep both sets that is. You have all the power until the paperwork is signed!!! Dealers will basically do anything to get perfect dealer surveys.
I ordered through Cartelligent, which is kind-of-dealer, kind-of-not, but I will check with them and see if they will do the swap for me, because that would save me some time stopping at the bottom of the mountain to have them swapped. Good tip!
Sponsored