Sponsored

Best side step to take a hit and do some sliding.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
There seem to a be a bunch of threads out there similar to this but I'm looking for a specific answer that no one seems to have.
We have a 2" lift and my wife wants to ditch the stock plastic Mopar running boards that come on the Sahara. We off road and rock climb with it so logic dictates a rock rail that can slide, like what comes stock on a Rubi, would be best. BUT, they suck for getting in and out especially for my wife who is around 5' 7". I know there is a rail/step combo out there where you can unbolt the two steps on each side and be left with a pure rock rail. Problem is they allow stones and what not fly up and chip the hinges, etc... just like the Rubi ones do.
So the quest is to find a step that also can take a hit and even slide if necessary. ROAM has what appears to be a solution but I don't want to bias this thread.
Please don't just reply and say "These look cool", that does not help at all. What would help is details on how the step mounts, is it solid enough to do what we are looking for, personal experience with the step, etc... Thanks!
Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian

Sponsored

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info guys. The ROAM ones are the only ones that fit the budget right now. I've actually got a message out to the guy on another thread asking him to measure the height from the bottom of the ROAM so I can see if they are higher than the stock rails.
I would love to get the retractable ones but that's way too much $.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
your search is over. RockHard 4x4 patriot tube sliders. beefcake extreme sliders, they sell them angled up, down, or a flat step version, all 3 bolt to every possible spot. they are heavy, but pretty sure they would stop a train. If you search ebay there is a distributor for the best price and free shipping, mine were $494 free shipping, direct from rockhard they were $519 and shipping was $100 for me
IMG_20180930_132436.jpg
IMG_20181011_121917.jpg
IMG_20180915_194638.jpg

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
These were my favorite, for looks, protection and a useful step for the kids, without looking like a soccer mom jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
These were my favorite, for looks, protection and a useful step for the kids, without looking like a soccer mom jeep.
Like the look and we would go flat step. Are the "grippy"? They look like they would be slippery when wet (no Bon Jovi pun intended) when you step on them.
I guess we need to abandon the idea of have a decent some what lower step (like factory side steps) and also have it be slide capable. I think the ROAMs will be closest for that. These are def a higher step than factory.

Also... frame or body mount?

Thanks for replying.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have the mopar premium rock rails. Haven't gone rock crawling with them but they are just wide enough to use as a step and the quality is great. i think they are close to $1000, not sure what your price point is.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Like the look and we would go flat step. Are the "grippy"? They look like they would be slippery when wet (no Bon Jovi pun intended) when you step on them.
I guess we need to abandon the idea of have a decent some what lower step (like factory side steps) and also have it be slide capable. I think the ROAMs will be closest for that. These are def a higher step than factory.

Thanks for replying.
PSA, anything can be slippery when wet. Always use the handle at the A pillar for assistance when entering a vehicle.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic

Thanks for replying.
They are a higher step than factory steps, neither of my kids have slipped on them in the rain.
I set my price point to $500 max, these were the only ones that checked all my boxes
Price
Protection (rocker and side)
Functional step area without looking like a step
Hides pinch seam completely
My daughter is 5 and my son is 3, neither have a problem stepping up to them to get in, they actually use them to climb in the window lol, but I am not lifted and still have stock tires, I will eventually go 33s no lift once the stock tires need to be replaced.

They bolt to pinch seam, and all 6 body mount spots.
I did like the MOPAR ones, but they missed a few checks from my list
Rock slide engineering power steps are as much as my wheels and tires.
Roams were on my list for awhile, but aesthetically I like the look of the rockhard tube sliders the best.
Sponsored