Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I recently discovered that AEV tire carriers have a hole in them designed to hold a shovel. My wife ran with the idea and stuck one of our shovels in it before she took her brother for a trail run. Unfortunately nobody realized that the handle is slightly too long and it digs into the back of the Wrangler when the tailgate is fully opened. Yes, my first dent.

What's the best shovel for the tire carrier that's long enough but not so long that it causes damage?
Sponsored

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Bookmarking. I have been searching for a good option as well for the carrier. From what I have researched so far a lot of people use to buy the True Temper shovel from Lowes and cut it down to fit well. I didn't see the same one is listed anymore though. I'm wondering if something like this one would work when cut down? Based on the size of the hole I'm thinking some sort of pad will be necessary to stop it rattling around.

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
I went down the same process as you and then decided to just keep it simple. Went to home depot, bought one of their shovels and wedged it into place.

Once I had it wedged against the tire, I measured the excess length to cut so as not to dent the body of the door and sawed it off. Works great.

Here is a pic at Rausch Creek with my group. You can see my shortened shovel on my tire carrier. drove 300 miles round trip, did Crawl Daddy (a red trail) and that shovel didn't budge.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best shovel for an AEV tire carrier? 20230311_110003

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I went down the same process as you and then decided to just keep it simple. Went to home depot, bought one of their shovels and wedged it into place.

Once I had it wedged against the tire, I measured the excess length to cut so as not to dent the body of the door and sawed it off. Works great.

Here is a pic at Rausch Creek with my group. You can see my shortened shovel on my tire carrier. drove 300 miles round trip, did Crawl Daddy (a red trail) and that shovel didn't budge.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best shovel for an AEV tire carrier? 20230311_110003
Excellent idea about simply cutting it to fit.

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
Excellent idea about simply cutting it to fit.
And once wedged against the tire, the shovels handle is tight against the guide holes so I get zero rattles even on the washboard trails.

Sponsored

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

And once wedged against the tire, the shovels handle is tight against the guide holes so I get zero rattles even on the washboard trails.
Did you have to wrap the handle at all to get it to seat so well (as to not rattle?) or is the press against the guide holes enough?

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
Did you have to wrap the handle at all to get it to seat so well (as to not rattle?) or is the press against the guide holes enough?
Press against the guide holes and shovel head wedged against the tire more then enough.

I hit the back end pretty hard coming off some boulders including one I was turtled on and needed a winch, shovel never budged or rattled

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

@Ratbert did you end up selecting a particular shovel yet? If so, which one did you go with. Was looking at shovels at Lowes the other day.
Thanks for the reminder. I still haven't found one that fits, is functional, and looks decent.

@392OVRLND had a friend with a slick Crazy Beaver. Maybe he was able to verify that it fits?

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392XR AEV JL370
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the reminder. I still haven't found one that fits, is functional, and looks decent.

@392OVRLND had a friend with a slick Crazy Beaver. Maybe he was able to verify that it fits?
I think I showed you that picture of the guy on the AEV Facebook group that tried it with the Krazy Beaver. It’s not long enough. Funny, though, I recently was chatting with them on an Instagram post and asked if they’d make a longer shovel. I will keep you posted on what I hear back. I think their shovels are too short to be useful, but I’m also 6’2”…

I have had 3 Jeeps with AEV tire carriers and I keep giving away my shovels when I sell / trade them. The easiest thing to do is just go buy a standard garden shovel with a fiberglass handle from a hardware store and insert it in the carrier, tug it hard from the handle end to snug it up, and mark it where it needs to be cut. Lop off the end, and re-grip it.

That’s exactly how I’ve don’t all 3 of mine.

i-sV4SfLR-X3.jpg

i-rx6dSxQ-X3.jpg

i-rpZrZSg-X2.jpg

i-Hgp3dWb-X2.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I bought a few and ended taking them all back but this one from Ace Hardware. It cost about $35 and seems like it'll last quite a while before rusting. I looked at the insanely expensive variants and their handle designs would have required too much effort to work around. And, of course, that'd be a lot of money dangling on the rear of my rig.

I cut 4.75" off the handle with a Dremel. The fiberglass is solid red (hollow center) and cut cleanly. Yeah, getting the rubber handle off and back on was a pain, but not horribly. Goo Gone works wonders on removing the glue from the labels.

I wrapped some electrical tape around it (to make it about the same thickness as the rubber handle) at the top point where it rests within the tire carrier. That should prevent any vibration as well as protect the handle.

It fits in there nicely and doesn't rattle. Yeah, you can see where my wife put a standard-sized shovel in there and the damage that it did when the tailgate got opened. Or maybe not since the Jeep is always dirty due to us living about a mile from the nearest paved road. And, of course, from taking it rock crawling quite frequently.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best shovel for an AEV tire carrier? PXL_20230819_205831217

Jeep Wrangler JL Best shovel for an AEV tire carrier? PXL_20230819_205811178

Jeep Wrangler JL Best shovel for an AEV tire carrier? PXL_20230819_205747496

Flip

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Build Thread
Link