Best shocks for non-lifted Rubicon

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I am wondering if anyone has a take on a better shock for the Rubicon. It is worth mentioning that it will never be lifted.
Some of my upcoming trips will have mile and mile of rough washboard. I found that the stock shocks in my JK quickly became overheated and then had a lot of fade.
I switched to OME gas shock, which seemed to be much better, but when the Jeep was not loaded up, the ride was too harsh.
I have seen that OME has an adjustable OP-51 shock with remote reservoir, but I have heard the protection plastics pop off at the slightest touch.
Much of what I have seen in an adjustable shocks wants at least a 2.5 inch lift, which I have no plans for.
Any ideas?
Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I've no idea myself, but like where you are going.

Though I've been wanting more droop which makes me think springs like MetalCloak without the lift and not too stiff. Along with that, hydro bump stops for the hard hits, and really good shocks. I was watching King, Fox, and RadFlow.

But now maybe ADS?

Interested to hear what others have found.

Alanscott1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
A&P Mechanic
In your use case a remote reservoir shock makes sense. On my previous JK i ran Bilstien 5100s (really stiff), smooth body Fox shocks (nice, decent ride), before finally installing King coil overs (valved great for higher speed desert stuff, barely tolerable on the street). Also had king bump stops front and rear (those were awesome at soaking up huge hits, and speed bumps).

For the JL I got a set of Falcon 3.3 0-1.5ā€ lift shocks Iā€™ll be installing next week. Never had an adjustable shock before interested to see if the different settings make a noticeable difference to ride quality.

As a previous poster mentioned, companies like ADS and Radflo makes some great shocks as well. Filthy Motorsports and Accutune both sell Fox and King shocks custom valved to you liking, if that is something youā€™re interested in.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Falcon !

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
OP
OP

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager

POL

First Name
Adrien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0T
Right now I'm pleased with my FOX IFP 2.0 0-1.5".

For the price tag and the quality of fabrication I think It is really really good.

POL

First Name
Adrien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0T
I've no idea myself, but like where you are going.

Though I've been wanting more droop which makes me think springs like MetalCloak without the lift and not too stiff. Along with that, hydro bump stops for the hard hits, and really good shocks. I was watching King, Fox, and RadFlow.

But now maybe ADS?

Interested to hear what others have found.
The ADS (discovered by Lite Brite too...) look very nice !

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Right now I'm pleased with my FOX IFP 2.0 0-1.5".

For the price tag and the quality of fabrication I think It is really really good.
How do the Fox 2.0's ride? I've read another review saying they rode fairly stiff on rd.

Alanscott1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
A&P Mechanic
Installed the Falcon 3.3s yesterday. Initial Build quality impressions, I would put them on par with Fox and maybe ever so slightly below Kings. Which is impressive considering they are roughly half the cost. Time will tell how they hold up.

Did some on-road and off-road testing last night going through all the various settings and there definitely is a difference in ride quality between them. Compared to the stock rubicon shocks, paired with the stock rubicon springs, the ride is less spongy/jiggly. There is reduced body roll and notably less brake-dive.

It is firmer even on the softest setting but it isnā€™t harsh. It transmits smaller bumps in the road more but thatā€™s the nature of digressive shock valving (firm initial shock stroke that progressively gets softer) it does however, soak up bigger hits really well.

D484D824-F523-42F4-87C0-1217C5DB0F24.jpeg

POL

First Name
Adrien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0T
How do the Fox 2.0's ride? I've read another review saying they rode fairly stiff on rd.
Not a Huge difference from stock, at least on road...

On road the Jeep is precise, also on the highway.
Could be softer offroad but then it will be probably be not as good on road...

I donā€™t feel it stiffer than stock.

For my use it is perfect.

Iā€™ve done a 1inch front / 0.5inch rear leveling at the same time + Fox ATS steering stabilizer.

The Fox ATS is a real game changer about precision in driving. I donā€™t regret it. Especially the fact that I Can adjust the stiffness.

Because I must put dedicated snow tires hĆØre in the french alps, I canā€™t go bigger than 285/70R17.

Otherwise I would have put 315/70R17 KO2 (35...) with the Mopar Fox Kit.

POL

First Name
Adrien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0T
@ChattVol , Eddy of Way a Life, who has a Big lift and 37, was also running the FOX IFP 2.0..

Once again, for a 600$ package you have a great product. The finish is definetly a masterpiece in comparaison to the red stock Shocks.

Tjax

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Dr JL Rubicon
On a 2dr JLR with Rock Krawler 2.5" springs and Fox 2.0 IPFā€™s the ride is very nice. Controlled, no bucking on concrete highway sections, no nosediving on hard braking, very stable. I also installed EVO LCA drop brackets that obviously contributed to the improved ride characteristics.
Sponsored