Best Setup for RV Flat Tow

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Can't say I did much homework. The dealer website with the camper you bought said 5000 lbs towing. They must have had the wring specs listed. I'm glad you got the upgraded motor and tranny. I'm sure you will be happier with this combo. I was just surprised to see you had the maximus 3 tow hooks after you previously bad mouthed them. It sucks one of yours has bent. I have been towing a heavy ecodiesel with mine, and haven't had any issues. I've been to glacier, yellowstone, grandtetons, moab, Sanjuan mts, smokey mountains, and haven't had any issues yet. Hopefully it was just a fluke or you made too sharp of turn a time or two.

Yes the dealer a small travel trailer only dealer was misinformed all 2016's had the 360hp/3000 however Tiffin brochure listed the older 340hp. It also had 1000w of solar that they never listed and many suspension upgrades. I would not have purchased it had it not been 10Klbs. It was likely not a sharp turn as the Wrangler would hit the RV before tension on the Maximus, I assume it was a from a braking event. I am still on the fence regarding the Maximus and hopefully this was a fluke, but they did take care of the problem. What is crazy though I had NSA-RV custom make aluminum clevis for the Ready-Brute Elite tow bar to Maximus connection and one would think those Aluminum clevises would fail before the steel plate, but hey are still in perfect condition.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow Tow 1
Sponsored

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Can't say I did much homework. The dealer website with the camper you bought said 5000 lbs towing. They must have had the wring specs listed. I'm glad you got the upgraded motor and tranny. I'm sure you will be happier with this combo. I was just surprised to see you had the maximus 3 tow hooks after you previously bad mouthed them. It sucks one of yours has bent. I have been towing a heavy ecodiesel with mine, and haven't had any issues. I've been to glacier, yellowstone, grandtetons, moab, Sanjuan mts, smokey mountains, and haven't had any issues yet. Hopefully it was just a fluke or you made too sharp of turn a time or two.
I can share my experience with my Maximus loops. I did around 18,000 miles of towing lifted 2020 Rubicon diesel on 37" tires. Mine never bent but mounting bolts were getting loose. I recommend you check yours. I ended up fabricating brace to make it more rigid. That fixed the problem. I also replaced 7/8" clevis pins with one piece of 7/8" diameter 39" long shaft. There are some significant forces involved because ends of the shaft bent slightly making it difficult to remove. I used cold roll steel shaft because it was zinc plated. I will replace it with harder shaft.

60261F35-5ABB-4845-B7D3-94A30E631505.jpeg

3630965D-14D6-40AE-B692-A503386D37EF.jpeg

D4BCAB5D-3155-4443-91B7-DA256047EEBC.jpeg

9BD33889-FD9E-4A4F-BA7B-E700E87FDB08.jpeg

6161F190-41FF-493C-905F-DA2EEB1EB91A.jpeg

7A0686B1-DD8F-4751-B46D-8193D620056A.jpeg

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I can share my experience with my Maximus loops. I did around 18,000 miles of towing lifted 2020 Rubicon diesel on 37" tires. Mine never bent but mounting bolts were getting loose. I recommend you check yours. I ended up fabricating brace to make it more rigid. That fixed the problem. I also replaced 7/8" clevis pins with one piece of 7/8" diameter 39" long shaft. There are some significant forces involved because ends of the shaft bent slightly making it difficult to remove. I used cold roll steel shaft because it was zinc plated. I will replace it with harder shaft.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow 7A0686B1-DD8F-4751-B46D-8193D620056A

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow 7A0686B1-DD8F-4751-B46D-8193D620056A

Mine are on with Locktite RED triple checked when I saw the bend all was tight. I am assuming it was just a one time thing, maybe the steel plate had a some bend originally and this is just memory bending. AS mentioned the force cold not have been that strong as the Aluminum Clevises are un phased.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
I went Maximus-3 on my 2020 Gladiator due to the behind bumper winch mount. I found out a year later about the bending problem. Mine never did, but I had to buy a tie rod to add to the system. Never liked Maximus-3 loops since. Now with a JLUR with Roadmaster mounts. They sandwich the frame on both sides. Made it work with a winch. I had the RVI3 on the last two Jeeps. Best portable system out there IMO. The JL has a Demco Stay-in-play. I like it much better. Hook up and go. No box in and out.

20230928_131117.jpg

20230925_195056.jpg

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I went Maximus-3 on my 2020 Gladiator due to the behind bumper winch mount. I found out a year later about the bending problem. Mine never did, but I had to buy a tie rod to add to the system. Never liked Maximus-3 loops since. Now with a JLUR with Roadmaster mounts. They sandwich the frame on both sides. Made it work with a winch. I had the RVI3 on the last two Jeeps. Best portable system out there IMO. The JL has a Demco Stay-in-play. I like it much better. Hook up and go. No box in and out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow 20230925_195056

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow 20230925_195056
Nice setup, I still have the Maximus and with the bar, I have not had any problems at all. I would trash the Roadmaster setup with the trails we run. Wish there was a way to raise them up, we use that system on my wife's GCL and it is super sturdy and quick to hook up.

I also use the RVi3 brake system. We tow three different Jeeps so the portable unit works well for us.

Sponsored

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
We have a Blue Ox aluminum tow bar that we have had forever from when we were towing our old 2001 Grand Cherokee, we us the older Classic Brake Buddy as well since we already owned it. Went with the e-trailer base plate that is somewhat hidden and we are using the diode wire harness in the brake lights. It get the job done. Easy to hook up but not so easy to unhook. The pins go into the base plate knuckles easily but are very stiff to pull. Still trying to figure that part out.
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow IMG_6235

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
We have a Blue Ox aluminum tow bar that we have had forever from when we were towing our old 2001 Grand Cherokee, we us the older Classic Brake Buddy as well since we already owned it. Went with the e-trailer base plate that is somewhat hidden and we are using the diode wire harness in the brake lights. It get the job done. Easy to hook up but not so easy to unhook. The pins go into the base plate knuckles easily but are very stiff to pull. Still trying to figure that part out.
A little unhooking trick that was passed to me when I was having a difficult time removing the pins even though I was reasonably straight and level. If the pins are stiff/binding, set the parking brake on the jeep, start the engine and turn the steering wheel full left or right to loosen the pins. Works every time for me, even if you have to unhook while in a turn.

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
A little unhooking trick that was passed to me when I was having a difficult time removing the pins even though I was reasonably straight and level. If the pins are stiff/binding, set the parking brake on the jeep, start the engine and turn the steering wheel full left or right to loosen the pins. Works every time for me, even if you have to unhook while in a turn.
Thanks, I will give that a try. One time they were so GDMFing stuck that I pulled the pin on the MH side and backed the Jeep up to remove the bar from the MH. Pretty easy after that. :LOL:

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Maximus 3 Frame tie in kits also sandwiches thew frame and far more robust then Roadmaster. The maximus also bolt thru the frame in 3 locationbs on each loop
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow Maximus 3 Tow Loops Bolt patterns

The other newer benefit of the maximus is you can now mount to the inside of the frame which reduces the spread of the tow bar thus reducing lateral stress and forces on the tow connaction and frame.
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow tow angles

However the only real flaw in the Roadnaster is it is comprised of welded components, wand when installed you cannot inspect those welds without removing the bumper (welds are the #1 casue of base plate failure), Maximus does not rely on any welds. I agree the last gen of maximus that did not have these fixes had its share of issues. This is not tosay Roadmaster is a bad system but it does lack the above benefits. Note Roadmaster is not voide of failed welds thier last gen had its share and I have only see one account on the current Roadmaster.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Maximus 3 Frame tie in kits also sandwiches thew frame and far more robust then Roadmaster. The maximus also bolt thru the frame in 3 locationbs on each loop

The other newer benefit of the maximus is you can now mount to the inside of the frame which reduces the spread of the tow bar thus reducing lateral stress and forces on the tow connaction and frame.

However the only real flaw in the Roadnaster is it is comprised of welded components, wand when installed you cannot inspect those welds without removing the bumper (welds are the #1 casue of base plate failure), Maximus does not rely on any welds. I agree the last gen of maximus that did not have these fixes had its share of issues. This is not tosay Roadmaster is a bad system but it does lack the above benefits. Note Roadmaster is not voide of failed welds thier last gen had its share and I have only see one account on the current Roadmaster.
Don't get me started on Maximus... Took a look at your post above and it appears they have changed the mounts once again! Zero outbound communication to customers that they know have purchased the product. Will never purchase another product from that company.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Don't get me started on Maximus... Took a look at your post above and it appears they have changed the mounts once again! Zero outbound communication to customers that they know have purchased the product. Will never purchase another product from that company.
I agree their voluntary communication is marginal at best. I had bent loops and then worked with Joe and kinda forced them to developed the frame tie in kit. I recived the 1st Tie in Kit (no cost) that was a year ago. But I will say they were very proactive in rectifying the problems once you contacted them and got the management/owners involved. I like the Roadmaster base plates a lot but after Maximus made these changes and now it is by far the most robust system available I decided to give a 2nd chance which has been flawless. Before the maximus I had Blue OX which had broken welds which is whay makes me a bit gun shy of any welded tow components especially this with concieled welds that are hard to insoect. Fortunately Blue Ox was an easy inspection every time I connected.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
I get that Maximus-3 has made significant improvements to their entire flat tow system. A far cry from what I bought for my previous Gladiator. Then add this (tie rod) then add that (frame tie ins). Oh, and now they're thicker, replace the whole thing. Just didn't think I needed to constantly contact them to get what I should of had the first time. I am glad that @lightsout helped them overcome their weaknesses.
I'm still loving my Roadmaster direct connect baseplate. After removing the ends, they don't hang down any further than the tow loops did. Rubber end caps keep the junk out.
20230929_114509.jpg

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I get that Maximus-3 has made significant improvements to their entire flat tow system. A far cry from what I bought for my previous Gladiator. Then add this (tie rod) then add that (frame tie ins). Oh, and now they're thicker, replace the whole thing. Just didn't think I needed to constantly contact them to get what I should of had the first time. I am glad that @lightsout helped them overcome their weaknesses.
I'm still loving my Roadmaster direct connect baseplate. After removing the ends, they don't hang down any further than the tow loops did. Rubber end caps keep the junk out.
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow 20230929_114509
Completely agree! They put out a product that was not safe and then blamed initial users for not buying the cross brace that was not available or said to be needed intially. On top of that, zero outbound communication to buyers on safety updates. I have already cut my steel bumper so and have the second edition, but do not have whatever this third addition is. Not sure if I need the extra support they are now offering or not... Mounting them inside would have been smarter, but again, I already cut the hole in my bumper for the outbound placement and not sure that it would work with my winch anyway. All Maximus had to do was communicate, they refused to admit they put the product out early or give anyone that does not follow JL Forum a warning that they need to get the cross bar/bracing. That is why I could never suggest the company again, and I always get people coming up to me asking about the tow loops.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

On a more positive note, since we are talking about best towing setups. The cool tech Tow Harness Kit is best wiring system that I know of for the JL. It works flawlessly and was easy to install. I have the LED light package and replaced the factory tail lights with the flush mount lights and the kit works fine with those as well. It also allows for brakes and turn signal to be on at the same time which some diode kits struggle with. @CoolTech

https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-je...harness-kit.html#/69-jl_tow_harness_kit-basic

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Completely agree! They put out a product that was not safe and then blamed initial users for not buying the cross brace that was not available or said to be needed intially. On top of that, zero outbound communication to buyers on safety updates. I have already cut my steel bumper so and have the second edition, but do not have whatever this third addition is. Not sure if I need the extra support they are now offering or not... Mounting them inside would have been smarter, but again, I already cut the hole in my bumper for the outbound placement and not sure that it would work with my winch anyway. All Maximus had to do was communicate, they refused to admit they put the product out early or give anyone that does not follow JL Forum a warning that they need to get the cross bar/bracing. That is why I could never suggest the company again, and I always get people coming up to me asking about the tow loops.

Not defending Maximus but the Last generation of roadmaster also had terrible failure issues and damaged frame horns. Roadmaster also did not tell their customers, they just redesign and released the current generation. One company is not any better then the other. Just like the current Blue Ox some having failing welds (like I did) they are not contacting thier customers warning them.

Do you also realize that Roadmaster also has a OPTIONAL tie rod for thier tow bars, Again they are not forcing you to buy it, most people do not even kow Roadmaster has a Tie rod, however thieris is big and clunky.

Again I think Roadmaster is a great product and either option current Maximus or Current Roadaster both are on par with each other however maximus now being the most robust of the two but not by much (Roadmaster has structural welds Maximus does not). Note though Roadmaster will not work with MOST winch plates setups.

Ihave to also give props to Roadmaster as thier Nighthawk Towbars are second to none
Sponsored