Sponsored

Best Setup for RV Flat Tow

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
...Our bumper has BlueOx tow bar adapters... We're just coming up on two-years with this system and I could not be happier with the configuration.

The BlueOx tow bar adapters, shown below and to the outside of the shackles, are bolted through the bumper directly to the front end of the frame with grade-8 bolts.

Jeep Flat Tow - 1.jpg

[/QUOTE]
A word of caution...I have had multiple Aventa Blue Ox tow bars with that "ball" piece where the two arms connect to the 2 in unit that "plugs in" to the coach - and what I find is that over time, the "slot" in the ball that goes over the post tends to spread apart from lateral force. One reason I think Blue Ox no longer uses that design. Worth checking it periodically...I found out when I was having trouble using my Aventa behind a Heavy Duty Ram to pull a Light Duty Ram (same one pull behind coach) and the towed pickup would move side-to-side a few inches just going down a straightaway. I suspect it was doing so behind the coach too - but due to the coach weighing some 45K lbs, you don't feel it and really have to look closely to see it. The Jeep being lighter doesn't seem to move as much laterally - although I now use only the Avail tow bars.
Sponsored

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
Jeep Flat Tow - 1.jpg

[/QUOTE]
A word of caution...I have had multiple Aventa Blue Ox tow bars with that "ball" piece where the two arms connect to the 2 in unit that "plugs in" to the coach - and what I find is that over time, the "slot" in the ball that goes over the post tends to spread apart from lateral force. One reason I think Blue Ox no longer uses that design. Worth checking it periodically...I found out when I was having trouble using my Aventa behind a Heavy Duty Ram to pull a Light Duty Ram (same one pull behind coach) and the towed pickup would move side-to-side a few inches just going down a straightaway. I suspect it was doing so behind the coach too - but due to the coach weighing some 45K lbs, you don't feel it and really have to look closely to see it. The Jeep being lighter doesn't seem to move as much laterally - although I now use only the Avail tow bars.
[/QUOTE]

Unlike many people think, tow bars do require regular service and they do wear out. BlueOx recommends servicing the towbar every two-years or 10 mi. and they estimate a 75k mi service life if properly maintained. We have had our serviced at these intervals and when that is done, wear parts are replaced. After 65K miles, ours is still nice and tight. When it reaches the end of its life (excess slack in the extension arms), I'll likely go with a Demco towbar based upon the quality service they've provided on other Demco products I own.

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Unlike many people think, tow bars do require regular service and they do wear out. BlueOx recommends servicing the towbar every two-years or 10 mi. and they estimate a 75k mi service life if properly maintained. We have had our serviced at these intervals and when that is done, wear parts are replaced. After 65K miles, ours is still nice and tight. When it reaches the end of its life (excess slack in the extension arms), I'll likely go with a Demco towbar based upon the quality service they've provided on other Demco products I own.
[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear you are aware and do so. I actually replace my bars (10K rated) at far less/shorter intervals because I tow pickups which although less than the bar weight rating, are heavier (than Jeeps) and I know are wearing on the bar components more so accordingly. But even with that, I was surprised to see that ball spread apart.
But then, a friend who pulls his F-150 Raptor behind his coach recently had a weld come apart on the newer Avail, and when that happened, the other plate (of the two welded that hold the arm assy to the 2 in "post") broke in two...so it can happen to a new or old bar. I suppose Demco has failures too...
Safe travels and safe towing!

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Is there any way to run the cooltech switch to the driver side?
You'd have to extend the 8 wires that splice into the Jeep wire harness - which runs along the right side. Not sure it would be worth the trouble.

Sponsored

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
For tow setup, flipping the switch is part of our pre-tow walkaround procedure.

For post-tow disconnect, my wife looks after the switch while I disconnect the tow bar and other connections upfront.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I simply use a red velcro tie wrap placed around the steering wheel when the switch is in tow mode.

doofoo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2019 VW Tiguan, 2018 GM Volt, 2019 Yamaha Tracer GT, 1997 Dodge 3500

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These pins are tractor pins - the diameter is perfect (no slop) and I just drilled a hole in the end to put a lock on so they can't easily be pulled...
Found at a local hardware store.
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow 20200626_140705

Sponsored

doofoo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2019 VW Tiguan, 2018 GM Volt, 2019 Yamaha Tracer GT, 1997 Dodge 3500
Awesome.
These pins are tractor pins - the diameter is perfect (no slop) and I just drilled a hole in the end to put a lock on so they can't easily be pulled...
Found at a local hardware store.
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow 20200626_140705
Awesome.. Thank you, I will find some local. What hardware did you use to connect the adapters to the tow bar? I see nut/bolt there, what's the specs to attach these adapters?

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome.. Thank you, I will find some local. What hardware did you use to connect the adapters to the tow bar? I see nut/bolt there, what's the specs to attach these adapters?
My kit from Maximus included the bolts, nuts, and washers, but ironically, one was missing. So I went to the local Fastenal and got Grade 8 hardware. There was no spec for how tight to make them, but since the nut is a locknut, as long as you cinch it down so the adapter can rotate without slop, you should be OK. I did see something somewhere (sorry I can't recall more) that said it should be tight enough to rotate with some force, but not so loose as to rotate with just gravity alone (if turned sideways).

doofoo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My kit from Maximus included the bolts, nuts, and washers, but ironically, one was missing. So I went to the local Fastenal and got Grade 8 hardware. There was no spec for how tight to make them, but since the nut is a locknut, as long as you cinch it down so the adapter can rotate without slop, you should be OK. I did see something somewhere (sorry I can't recall more) that said it should be tight enough to rotate with some force, but not so loose as to rotate with just gravity alone (if turned sideways).
Great info. Thanks for following up.

JJT-NC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Oil Burner
2020 JLRU Diesel with steel Rockhard bumper, AFO Braking system, Blue Ox lighting and avail tow bar setup. Thanks to @Ron_H ! I gave photos of his setup to the shop that did the install. Going good so far. Looking for the group's input on:
1) Replacing the cheap black caps (not shown) for the air fittings that come with the AFO. I would love to have a reliable cover. Read elsewhere that hydraulic dust covers can do a nice job, but there are so many, wondering what folks have done here.
2) Haven't towed but 150 miles, but I see the powder coat wearing down on the tow bar bracket from RockHard. I imagine this is the price of playing the game, but was interested what others are experiencing?
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow D92006DE-602A-41F9-9F0F-534457D27692
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow 3FD6B27C-0B71-4F77-B1C6-AF2AA26DD57D
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow 81490C46-4B8A-4DF1-95A2-13559E3CB966

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I've put years and thousands of miles on multiple Wranglers now. I've never lost the little black air fitting cover that came with the AFO kit.
Sponsored