Best Setup for RV Flat Tow

Bruceter

First Name
Bruce
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Wrangler Rubicon,
I did my first flat tow of my 2021 JLUR in Texas. It went pretty well.

I have updated my document Tow Checklist Jeep Wrangler 2021.pdf (PDF) with some changes from the experience.

The significant change was with how to set up and initialize the RVi Brake. I have a feeling that if the Start button is in anything other than OFF, the Wrangler may recharge its brake cylinder, and the first braking of the RVi Brake may be very strong and lead to wheel lockup and tire damage. This happened to me with my Honda CRV and I had to replace two tires because I ran the CRV engine after initializing the RVi Brake.

I also added an item on doing a short tow test, speeding up to 15 - 20 mph and then performing an Emergency Brake action to verify that the RVi Brake activates but does not lock up the wheels.
I‘ll be using all the same RVi equipment when I get done rigging out the JL. Thanks for posting your hookup procedure document.
Nicely done!
Advertisement

ColonelKlemp

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I just finished setting up my 2018 JLU for flat towing behind my Truck/Camper. I went with the Curt RV flat tow harness and a Curt 7 pin to 4 pin receptor for the front of the Jeep. I also installed the LOD front bumper with the reinforcing brackets to the frame. My goal is to have the 7 pin behind my truck go straight to the 7 pin on the front of the jeep. This is giving me the 4 pin connector for the lights on my Jeep and a battery charger wire, brake wire and ground wire. The install was pretty straight forward and would have been faster but I spent some time at the front of the jeep setting up and soldering the RV harness to the 7 pin receptor. I am very impressed with the quality of LOD's bumper and the Curt RV harness. Everything was very well built.

IslandNomad

First Name
Islander
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Arrrgh!

The best checklist is of no use when I skip over the important step of “Release Parking Brake” !!!

In my defense, it was a brutally hot and humid day here and I was tired.

I towed my Jeep about 2 miles with the parking brake On and was fortunately flagged down by someone who told me that smoke was coming out of the Jeep.

We pulled over immediately. Smoke was coming out of the right rear wheel and disappeared soon.

We disconnected the Jeep and found an auto shop nearby. It seems to drive fine and the regular brakes seem to work normally. They are going to take a look at it in a little while.

Thoughts and prayers are appreciated 🙏

IslandNomad

First Name
Islander
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Ok, phew, I narrowly missed a bullet there!

The mechanic said that I had lost a small amount of material from the parking brake, but it was still functional and no damage was done to it or anything else.

I am on the road now, towing the Jeep with hopefully no more adventures…

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Ok, phew, I narrowly missed a bullet there!

The mechanic said that I had lost a small amount of material from the parking brake, but it was still functional and no damage was done to it or anything else.

I am on the road now, towing the Jeep with hopefully no more adventures…
Most of my "life lessons" are a lot more expensive. 😉

JeepinJason33

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6 with Etorque - just starting build. 2019 Grand Cherokee SRT, 2001 XJ mild build, 97 TJ supercharged, Atlas, cage, 1 tons, OBA etc. 83 Cherokee Chief Restored
Waiting for my 2022 Seneca Super C to arrive... I have 2021 JLUR with an ACE aftermarket bumper. The Maximus tow brackets just arrived today and I will attempt to cut/modify this bumper to allow for the brackets to go through it. I made a cardboard version and it looks like it will work. Is anyone using the RoadMaster Sterling tow bar? I am not sure which d-ring adaptors I need. I found these

https://www.etrailer.com/p-RM-035.html?hhyear=2021&hhmake=Jeep&hhmodel=Wrangler+Unlimited

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Waiting for my 2022 Seneca Super C to arrive... I have 2021 JLUR with an ACE aftermarket bumper. The Maximus tow brackets just arrived today and I will attempt to cut/modify this bumper to allow for the brackets to go through it. I made a cardboard version and it looks like it will work. Is anyone using the RoadMaster Sterling tow bar? I am not sure which d-ring adaptors I need. I found these

https://www.etrailer.com/p-RM-035.html?hhyear=2021&hhmake=Jeep&hhmodel=Wrangler+Unlimited
While I can't help you on the Sterling, I can say I did install the Maximus 3 loops on my JT Gladiator Steel Bumper and they work well. Now I also have an 2022 Entegra Accolade 37L Super C on order pending delivery in October. I'm using the Ready Brute Elite II.

JeepinJason33

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6 with Etorque - just starting build. 2019 Grand Cherokee SRT, 2001 XJ mild build, 97 TJ supercharged, Atlas, cage, 1 tons, OBA etc. 83 Cherokee Chief Restored
While I can't help you on the Sterling, I can say I did install the Maximus 3 loops on my JT Gladiator Steel Bumper and they work well. Now I also have an 2022 Entegra Accolade 37L Super C on order pending delivery in October. I'm using the Ready Brute Elite II.
Keep in touch. Would like to see how your Entegra works out. I just ordered the Seneca 37m. How long did it take from order to delivery for you?

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Keep in touch. Would like to see how your Entegra works out. I just ordered the Seneca 37m. How long did it take from order to delivery for you?
That's the funny thing. Ordered 5 July through NIRVC Atlanta and they told me they hoped I could have it by Christmas. It left the assembly line yesterday and is in paint right now. Expected to ship on 5 October. Not complaining.

Advertisement

Icon Vehicle Dynamics

Advertisement