Best route for wiring winch

Cbacon

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Bought front and rear bumpers, front and rear lights, winch, and rock sliders from 4WP at their Jeep show. Got free installation for everything.
Picked it up from them, took it home and looked underneath front bumper. The hot and ground wires are run up through engine to the battery. Also just hanging on the steering components.

What's the best way to wire it up? I think I'll just fix it myself. WOn't be going back there.

Thanks,
COrey

IMG_20191229_123712.jpg

IMG_20191229_123723.jpg

IMG_20191229_123749.jpg

IMG_20191229_123818.jpg

IMG_20191229_123822.jpg
Sponsored

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
I dont have pics but I ran mine through the grill and to the battery and had them each in their own protective wrap(prevents random insulation damage). I then trimmed them to have a little slack but removed all the extra that wasnt needed.

Through the lower part of the grill, straight up, around the airbox, and alone the side of the jeep between the body and airbox/battery. Use a straightened wire coat hanger to help guide/fish wires.

OP
OP
Cbacon

Cbacon

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I dont have pics but I ran mine through the grill and to the battery and had them each in their own protective wrap(prevents random insulation damage). I then trimmed them to have a little slack but removed all the extra that wasnt needed.

Through the lower part of the grill, straight up, around the airbox, and alone the side of the jeep between the body and airbox/battery. Use a straightened wire coat hanger to help guide/fish wires.
That sounds good.
Thanks,
Corey

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer

I took out my airbox and it made it MUCH easier to run the wires.

Sponsored

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
What's the best way to wire it up? I think I'll just fix it myself. WOn't be going back
Ran mine along frame on passenger side, removed airbox & ran up between airbox and battery. Secured with zip ties. I also used a blade switch on top of battery so power up front isn't always hot.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase

Camber314

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Ran mine along frame on passenger side, removed airbox & ran up between airbox and battery. Secured with zip ties. I also used a blade switch on top of battery so power up front isn't always hot.
Patternman, great idea. do you have a link for the switch you used on your winch power connection to the battery?

Sponsored

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
Patternman, great idea. do you have a link for the switch you used on your winch power connection to the battery?
This is the type I used, I don't remember if it was this exact brand but appears identical:
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Disc...ttery+Disconnect+Switch&qid=1615136843&sr=8-6
Jeep Wrangler JL Best route for wiring winch IMG_20210307_081030

I tuck the end of a shop rag under the negative batt cables on the right side in the pic above and cover the switch with the rag. I keep shop towels several places as they are always handy out in the wild. I chose the blade type instead of rotary because of the higher amp rating.
Jeep Wrangler JL Best route for wiring winch IMG_20210307_081014

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
use a coat hanger. passenger side behind the grill along the edge there is a path. you feed the coat hanger down through the opening top to bottom, then fish your winch power/ground cables together up through the channel.
go to 11:57 in this video:
Sponsored