Best roof hoist 18-19 JLU

kiese02

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I also use the Harken hoist and am amazed at how simple it is for me to take the top off by myself.
Sponsored

DaveN007

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I went the Garage Smart route and I am disappointed with the design because it’s clear that it was built for unlimited and NOT the two door top. It’s serviceable, but despite paying for “professional installation” I will need to modify the way it attaches to the roof to avoid damage. I’m a stock Jeep, “pay somebody else” kind of guy. This is one of those times when being “handy” would be a benefit. Feel free to gloat and attack my manhood, but be prepared to get hit back.

8B77ECEB-A108-4403-AA22-EEAB0EA4F738.jpeg

AZRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
2020 Rubicon, loaded. My fear was also me and everything else. Last thing I wanted was to have the top fall to the floor or worse, on the hood of the Jeep.

The images below outline the solution.
  1. Racor top from Amazon
  2. Topsy hinge mount and strap
  3. Several 3" foam pipe insulation tubes
  4. Four (4) - 3" x 7" U-bolts
Everything is perfect so far and safe, although I still go look after a few hours. My only issue is my ceiling is low and the 2" Mopar factory lift, Which is actually 3", made the brake light above the spare hit the top even though I have the rack as far up as it will go with the freedom panels on it. Solution, open back window for now until I can adjust the eye-bolt on Racor rack.

The U-bolts were used as an extra layer of protection, there is no way this rack come off the ceiling.

All told, took about three or four hours to make sure everything was perfect, small effort considering what sits under it and a replacement top if it fails.

20191231_115742.jpg

20200101_133900.jpg

20191231_115759.jpg

20200101_133912.jpg

20191231_115937.jpg

20200101_133841.jpg

20200101_154643.jpg

Last edited:

Wapiti

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Sorry in advance for hijacking the thread a bit, but has anyone on here re-purposed a JKU t-bar for a JLU? I've got one I made way back in 2008 out of channel strut and cut-off u-bolts that I've used for 2 different JKUs; I'm guessing the hardtops are similar enough that it should work but I'd like to know for sure...

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
+1 Harken Hoist, no problems using for hardtop or soft top!

Sponsored

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
We went with the Lange Hoist-A-Top Simple, it was cheap and easy to install. Stock has the winch on the back wall of the garage, but we didn't have room there so a quick call and they sent us a different version that could mount on the side wall instead.

I tried to upload a pic of it installed but site said file was too big, even though I reduced it to 630KB???

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn

TrewJL

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
CEO
Sorry in advance for hijacking the thread a bit, but has anyone on here re-purposed a JKU t-bar for a JLU? I've got one I made way back in 2008 out of channel strut and cut-off u-bolts that I've used for 2 different JKUs; I'm guessing the hardtops are similar enough that it should work but I'd like to know for sure...
Don't I had mine on the old JK Lange and the "J" binded with the window and the it busted, then the weight was off and the whole top crashed to the ground. Not fun and the rear windows were on back order not to mention they are 1k.
I went with a Garage Smart and it's awesome.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'm looking for a roof hoist...many options but what's your experience? I did a search as I'm sure it's been addressed but opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

And I know...roof not rood!
OP:

@Willcbooth makes an interesting point as follows:

You've asked for roof hosts--which to my way of thinking (and perfectly acceptable, mind you, on your part) are devices that pull a hard top towards a garage's ceiling.

I don't want to hijack your thread but would you be interested in products like the OP's creation, the Hoist-a-Cart, the Top Lift Pro or the Freedom Jack that lift the hard top from below? Many of these devices can hold the hard top in reverse direction from how it sits on the JL, at the back of the driveway, with the device's wheels under the hood of a fully pulled into the driveway JL, such that they take up minimal garage space. It looks like this, only with the hard top on the device, rather than the rig:

attachment.jpg

Such devices also allow you to bring the hard top to the rig, rather than the rig to the hoist, come time to reinstall the hard top.

Cheers.:)

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I'm in New England...need the hard top my friend...if I lived where you are soft top is the way!
I had 3 Jeeps when I lived in Boston, all with soft tops. They hold up well over the winter and are pretty warm and quiet now.

Willcbooth

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2015 Lexus GS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase
hi, can you post a link for this
Sorry, no link, no plans. Just scribbled down some measurements on paper and went to cutting and welding away. Trial by error, but didn’t make too many mistakes. Been thinking of trying to sell them, but apparently Top Lift Pro’s can be assholes when it comes to any competition to them.
Next up will be a tailgate saver and fabing a mount for my current 37” (soon to be 40”) spare in the tub of the Jeep.

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2008 Sahara JK, 2000 Sport TJ, 1995 Sport YJ
I have a Lange and used it since 2008. Works great and adapted to my 2019 JL. No problem
Sponsored