Sponsored

Best quality Locking hood latch ??

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The BOLT was not available when I bought the '19.

I owned the Rampage locking hood latches when I had a '19 JLR. They were the best of a very mediocre selection of locking latches. Many brands look the same but there were some significant differences. The cheaper knock-offs used lighter and thinner metal. The pins for the latches were cheap, very thin tubing on most of the knock-offs. Rampage uses heavy metal and solid stainless steel pins for their latches.

The Rampage latches are not perfect though. I was going to re-use the Rampage latches on my '22 JLR but decided not to after removing them from the '19. They were still perfectly functional but some parts were worn. I did not want to put work looking parts on my new '22JLR. The threaded studs were starting to rust after 3 years. The rubber gaskets were compressed and worn. The black finish lost it's luster. The key and locks are of the cheap luggage lock quality. They work though. And held up for 3 winters where salt is used. Saying that, I'd still buy a new set of Rampage latches if locking latches were the only option. As-in if you had the front camera.

I ended up buying the BOLT hood lock this time around. Highly recommended if the application works for anyone without the front camera.
Sponsored

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Just bought the Rugged Ridge, very solid in my opinion.

OP
OP
The_Irish_Weaver

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
ok so i just got the Rugged Ridge latches mentioned above in the mail (wow super fast shipping)

these things are LIGHT YEARS better than the amazon ones that have been out forever. The amazon ones are aluminum or plastic and have a thin metal plate that turns with the key to latch behind the factory style loop to HINDER opening it. I gave it some real criminal effort and broke it so easy. not to mention the key hardware rusts out in no time.

These rugged ridge ones are HEAVY steel and have a cylinder type lock, fitting gaskets, and the key mechanism is sturdy, finished, and incredible quality! Whom ever above said RR stuff is chinese junk is completely clueless with this product....im so happy you guys alerted me to this new product. I will install this weekend and follow up on that - but the quality out of the box is amazing!!!

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
ok so i just got the Rugged Ridge latches mentioned above in the mail (wow super fast shipping)

these things are LIGHT YEARS better than the amazon ones that have been out forever. The amazon ones are aluminum or plastic and have a thin metal plate that turns with the key to latch behind the factory style loop to HINDER opening it. I gave it some real criminal effort and broke it so easy. not to mention the key hardware rusts out in no time.

These rugged ridge ones are HEAVY steel and have a cylinder type lock, fitting gaskets, and the key mechanism is sturdy, finished, and incredible quality! Whom ever above said RR stuff is chinese junk is completely clueless with this product....im so happy you guys alerted me to this new product. I will install this weekend and follow up on that - but the quality out of the box is amazing!!!
Awesome ! I have mine too, and I agree with your take - though I haven’t mounted mine yet so was reserving my full opinion til then. I’ll probably get these put on today.

OP
OP
The_Irish_Weaver

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
Ok - that was the easiest 20 minutes of my life - installed and absolutely rock solid. Some photos of the Amazon type ones I had for comparison - you can see the one where I easily snapped the “lock” - I absolutely recommend these - especially if you live in bad areas or have the LED headlights that can easily be stolen

42A3A2EF-F741-4421-AAB0-EE97F50C717B.jpeg

C92FF807-0C6E-4D99-9B7B-B9ACEB223698.jpeg

91DE41EE-6D07-49CE-A866-6209DF19D871.jpeg

8F13AB24-4F9B-4E80-B2C1-2D595A4152D2.jpeg

Sponsored

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Got em on, agree with your take. Super solid, secure, looks great. I spent more time than I should trying to align…it’s not hard, it’s just me. One thing - aside from the cam lock mechanism, these are beefy cast aluminum and not steel - won’t rust 👍.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best quality Locking hood latch ?? DE77C6B6-A7A7-494F-A3C4-13E700283F4F

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
I herd the 392 hood is pretty hefty and heavy. Check out the Redline Hood struts if you don't have them already. They are one of those products you don't think about really needing until you install them. Then you smack yourself in the head and wonder why you did not get them sooner. Very high quality too.

https://www.redlinetuning.com/product-p/21-20007-02.htm
Oh! Very nice; thanks for posting this.

I was going to skip these but they do allow for resting the hood on the windshield.

Amazon has them also.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Got em on, agree with your take. Super solid, secure, looks great. I spent more time than I should trying to align…it’s not hard, it’s just me. One thing - aside from the cam lock mechanism, these are beefy cast aluminum and not steel - won’t rust 👍.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best quality Locking hood latch ?? DE77C6B6-A7A7-494F-A3C4-13E700283F4F
These are very cool. I have Bolt but will go with these and a front trail camera next order.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Please do.

I'd already have the Bolt but I have the trail camera so that is not an option. I have two questions for these (aside from are they a quality product. 1) Can they be left in the unlocked position and still hold the hood down? 2) Does one key open both sides?
-yep, very high quality

- yes, they can be latched without being locked. The lock prevents them from being unlatched…but they latch / catch the same whether locked or not.

- the two included keys work for either / both locks. You just need travel with one key to be able to unlock both sides.

cheers

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
-yep, very high quality

- yes, they can be latched without being locked. The lock prevents them from being unlatched…but they latch / catch the same whether locked or not.

- the two included keys work for either / both locks. You just need travel with one key to be able to unlock both sides.

cheers
Outstanding! Thank you Sir.

Sponsored

BeechAV8R

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392, CJ7 6.6L, Fusion Trophy Truck
Ok - that was the easiest 20 minutes of my life - installed and absolutely rock solid. Some photos of the Amazon type ones I had for comparison - you can see the one where I easily snapped the “lock” - I absolutely recommend these - especially if you live in bad areas or have the LED headlights that can easily be stolen

Thanks for the review. These have a quality, OEM look. Just ordered a set this morning.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

Those look pretty nice. How much?

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

I just received my set but have not yet installed them. I’m already curious as to dirt/elements getting into the lock mechanism. RR should include a simple protective push on cover. 🤔

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Here’s a new option from Rugged Ridge, their gen 2 locking latch. Apparently made in USA, looks good on the jeep imho.

40DA8FE7-A97E-4273-ABCF-6B20E8737DEC.jpeg
I wouldn't need five minutes to unlock those tubular cylinder locks.

Their documented weakness is the fact that they can be picked (opened) with the plastic barrel of a pen. This caused no end of grief for Kryptonite some years back, forcing a nationwide recall. Coincidentally, I received a new motorcycle disc lock as part of said recall.

Here's another example. Neither the brand, price nor country of origin makes a difference here. It's unfortunate that vendors continue to sell locks that use a knowingly vulnerable design.

Something to keep in mind.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
I wouldn't need five minutes to unlock those tubular cylinder locks.

Their documented weakness is the fact that they can be picked (opened) with the plastic barrel of a pen. This caused no end of grief for Kryptonite some years back, forcing a nationwide recall. Coincidentally, I received a new motorcycle disc lock as part of said recall.

Here's another example. Neither the brand, price nor country of origin makes a difference here.

Something to keep in mind.

That’s good input. As is said - locks are for keeping honest people out. Any half motivated reprobate may not be stopped by this lock, or probably rolled up windows.
Sponsored