Best Pressure Gauge?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm in need of a new pressure gauge. What are you guys using for tire pressure gauges?
I'm not so thrilled with the idea of digital gauges that need batteries, since about half the crap that needs batteries ends up in the dumpster after the batteries leak.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I feel like they're all off no matter what brand you get.

I've got this one, and somehow it's reliably 2 psi high on readings compared to TPMS. I like inflators since you can easily fine tune your air down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ETXA2EW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you don't have a set already, these cheap autodeflators have been great for dropping pressure without having to bend/crouch the whole time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011DF61YY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I'm in need of a new pressure gauge. What are you guys using for tire pressure gauges?
I'm not so thrilled with the idea of digital gauges that need batteries, since about half the crap that needs batteries ends up in the dumpster after the batteries leak.
@roaniecowpony

I won't buy or use either a pencil gauge or an battery powered LED gauge.

Lots of decent choices out there but do, do get a gauge that has / includes an air pressure bleed button.

Also, for guys/gals that do not know... in the Winter months, these type offerings are best used when the offering is not used say when it has been left out in a garage that is 32 degrees, etc.

I carry one of these (very small in size) in the JL and have a Joe's Racing (larger unit) in the garage..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PT18QAQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VZ9CL2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JL_Confidential

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gecko Willys Sport 2-door
Occupation
I'd tell you, but you know the rest....

Sponsored

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
Just get an analog one at the register at the parts store.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Just get an analog one at the register at the parts store.
@Pinion

Agree... but I have never seen one of those el-cheapo's at the register with a bleed button... Price is right for sure and they do the deed ... but again, no bleed button which is wanted by me..

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Cheap slime digital gauge from Walmart. I've had one in my glove box for the last 6 or 7 years and it still works.

I've also got a guage on my air tank if needed and my deflater but the little digital gauges are super handy.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Cheap slime digital gauge from Walmart. I've had one in my glove box for the last 6 or 7 years and it still works.

I've also got a guage on my air tank if needed and my deflater but the little digital gauges are super handy.
Yeah, I got several of those when they had them like 50% off on the clearance rack. Read about 1.5 psi low.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Yeah, I got several of those when they had them like 50% off on the clearance rack. Read about 1.5 psi low.
Interesting I've tested mine against my nicer guages and it's spot on.

Sponsored

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
I like JACO analog gauges. I have the second one and it has served me well.

Limited-time deal: JACO ElitePro Tire Pressure Gauge - 60 PSI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015HURK6..._dl_0CGY705BTMQ8BAYZ1KEF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

or

JACO Elite Tire Pressure Gauge - 60 PSI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010A6B6KG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_VK0SN52E9PH5W90EBAQS
I also have been using the second one listed here for a while now. Seems to agree with the TPMS, and I like the swivel head, and bleeder valve. So far one of the best ones I've owned. (at least it seems that anyway. it is after all a tire gauge. I mean how perfect does it have to be unless you are racing and as Jeep owners we are definitely not doing that! )

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I use the pencil type and also an analog clock face dial one. No matter what you buy they all fail to maintain calibration. But the pencil type like I have can and should be calibrated. Anyone who is looking for dead on accuracy with no calibration is dreaming since it simply doesn't exist.

On my pencil Gauge there is a calibration screw inside of it since its a well designed gauge to continue being accurate for a long time with periodic calibrations. If you don't have a calibration adjustment on your gauge, it'll eventually be inaccurate. So, the best gauge is one you can calibrate to an air pressure readout that is not from a tire air pressure gauge. Used this as professional mechanic. I don't currently have a tire gauge testing station but can stop by a shop to verify and calibrate my gauges.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I use the ARB gauge.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Pressure Gauge? arb

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I use the pencil type and also an analog clock face dial one. No matter what you buy they all fail to maintain calibration. But the pencil type like I have can and should be calibrated. Anyone who is looking for dead on accuracy with no calibration is dreaming since it simply doesn't exist.

On my pencil Gauge there is a calibration screw inside of it since its a well designed gauge to continue being accurate for a long time with periodic calibrations. If you don't have a calibration adjustment on your gauge, it'll eventually be inaccurate. So, the best gauge is one you can calibrate to an air pressure readout that is not from a tire air pressure gauge. Used this as professional mechanic. I don't currently have a tire gauge testing station but can stop by a shop to verify and calibrate my gauges.
Is checking calibration something a shop like discount would let you do? Best comparison I've had is gauge vs. TPMS, but it'd be nice to know which is actually right.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Is checking calibration something a shop like discount would let you do? Best comparison I've had is gauge vs. TPMS, but it'd be nice to know which is actually right.
I don't know but would think they should have a calibration station in their shops. Professional truck repair shops like where i worked have them.

That's a good idea on the TPMS. Maybe if someone can verify the accuracy on them to use as a gauge calibration check. My only concern with using that isthe tire pressure changes after sitting, so last reading displayed is not accurate at that moment.
Sponsored