Best practice - manual shifting for few miles after cold start

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I normally shift to higher gear at 2800 to 3000rpm.
My question is:
After a cold start (not temperature cold but starting the car in the morning after it has been sitting for 8-10 hours), is it still okay to shift at 3000rpm or is 3k rpm a high enough rpm that can cause wear to the engine during the first few minutes or miles till the engine warms up?
At the same time I am afraid of lugging shifting at lower rpm like 2500.

So is it better to shift after a cold start at max 2500 rpm for the first 2-3 miles or is it still safe to shift at 3000rpm from get go?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Or is it safe to start shifting at 3000rpm after starting when the oil pressure is down to 30-40?

Alf1096

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
With modern engines and the synthetics in the jl as soon as the oil gets through the engine I wouldn’t worry about it. Give it 30 seconds after to start it to let things circulate. I wouldn’t redline it while not at operating temps but 3k will not hurt a thing.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
I normally shift to higher gear at 2800 to 3000rpm.
My question is:
After a cold start (not temperature cold but starting the car in the morning after it has been sitting for 8-10 hours), is it still okay to shift at 3000rpm or is 3k rpm a high enough rpm that can cause wear to the engine during the first few minutes or miles till the engine warms up?
At the same time I am afraid of lugging shifting at lower rpm like 2500.

So is it better to shift after a cold start at max 2500 rpm for the first 2-3 miles or is it still safe to shift at 3000rpm from get go?
Rpm goes to 6500, so 3000 isn't bad. Also how long you stay at an rpm also matters. I'd drive it a bit slow until the engine is up to temp but there's no need to idle for long. That's not taking in to account freezing temperatures.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Thanks all.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
RPM does not matter as much as loading iirc.

Either way, literally don't worry about it.
When cold, RPM correlates with the amount of engine wear. Engine load is not an issue for this particular problem.

Last edited:

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
With modern engines and the synthetics in the jl as soon as the oil gets through the engine I wouldn’t worry about it. Give it 30 seconds after to start it to let things circulate. I wouldn’t redline it while not at operating temps but 3k will not hurt a thing.
30 seconds. Is that all that's needed? I usually wait until the temp gauge jumps up a line.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
30 seconds. Is that all that's needed? I usually wait until the temp gauge jumps up a line.
By idling, you are barely warming up the engine oil. You are mostly warming up the engine coolant.

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
If it helps you any... I grew up in Canada and always started off on my way shortly (anywhere between "immediately" to "after clearing the windows") after I started the engine in all of my cars. I take it easy in the first few miles until things get warmed up (can take a while when it's -40F!). I've never had an engine fail on me.

JP18
Sponsored