Sponsored

Best plan for 35" tires with minimal loss of daily driver usability?

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
Hi,

I have a '19 JLUR on the way (2.0) and I would like to upgrade to 35" tires. I'd like to do this with minimal impact to the DD capability of the Jeep, while still achieving useful off-road increases in capability.

I'm considering BFG KO2s in 325/70R17 since they have a load range C offering. I'd prefer a more aggressive tread pattern but don't want to kill the ride or add a lot of road noise. Open to suggestions here.

As for wheels, would the stock wheels work well with this tire? They seem a bit narrow. I'd rather not spend more if not needed, but if a wider wheel will make a notable difference, I'll do that. The Mopar beadlock wheels seem nice and only add 5lbs a corner.

I have read reports of people having issues with the backup sensors, which I would rather avoid.

Finally on the suspension lift - I like low center of gravity builds. I'd like to lift the minimal amount for full articulation off-road with swaybar disconnected. I'm leaning away from Mopar and towards Teraflex but I am completely open to options here as well.

On road driveability matters to me, so does off-road capability, so I don't mind spending more as this is a tall order. I'm just looking for those with experience to help guide me so I don't spend a fortune rebuying everything.

I have the steel bumper group and will have a winch mounted to start. I'll eventually get aftermarket f/r bumpers (with tire carrier) but wanted to wait a while as the aftermarket grows and people figure out the quirks.

Thanks! Posting this in general as it touches on just about everything, so doesn't fit in any one category on the forum.
Sponsored

Beartooth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unl Rubicon; 2018 JK Unl Sport; 1976 CJ-7 V8
Hi,

I have a '19 JLUR on the way (2.0) and I would like to upgrade to 35" tires. I'd like to do this with minimal impact to the DD capability of the Jeep, while still achieving useful off-road increases in capability.

I'm considering BFG KO2s in 325/70R17 since they have a load range C offering. I'd prefer a more aggressive tread pattern but don't want to kill the ride or add a lot of road noise. Open to suggestions here.

As for wheels, would the stock wheels work well with this tire? They seem a bit narrow. I'd rather not spend more if not needed, but if a wider wheel will make a notable difference, I'll do that. The Mopar beadlock wheels seem nice and only add 5lbs a corner.

I have read reports of people having issues with the backup sensors, which I would rather avoid.

Finally on the suspension lift - I like low center of gravity builds. I'd like to lift the minimal amount for full articulation off-road with swaybar disconnected. I'm leaning away from Mopar and towards Teraflex but I am completely open to options here as well.

On road driveability matters to me, so does off-road capability, so I don't mind spending more as this is a tall order. I'm just looking for those with experience to help guide me so I don't spend a fortune rebuying everything.

I have the steel bumper group and will have a winch mounted to start. I'll eventually get aftermarket f/r bumpers (with tire carrier) but wanted to wait a while as the aftermarket grows and people figure out the quirks.

Thanks! Posting this in general as it touches on just about everything, so doesn't fit in any one category on the forum.

I have daily driver JLUR with almost 35” 315/70R17 BFG KO2 (C load range @ 39 psi ) on stock wheels without a lift. No rubbing off-road. The spare fits perfectly on the stock tire carrier with stock steel bumper. No problems with steering/handling or gearing (8 speed auto) at highway speeds. It drives/rides just like it did with the 33” BFG KO2s. I love driving it! Tires are absolutely critical to pavement drivability and these tires are outstanding for pavement noise and off-road.

To me, Jeep means versatility. My off-road build criteria includes comfortably driving to the trailhead and back. That includes a low CG suspension; quailty lifts that do not compromise the vehicle’s design integrity are expensive (not sure the JLUR even needs one). I see some head-scratching tire/lift choices followed by pavement drivability complaints on jeep forums. With that said, I’ve been to amazing places off-road with less than 33” tires too. Cheers!

crushinit

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and WK2
100% agree on above. I have the same setup with the C’s and drives like stock with a better off road personality and looks nicer. No rubbing, no need (at least for me) to go down the path of lifts, steps, spare tire add-on’s etc. Do agree a wider rim would be nice but haven’t had any issues on stock with 3k miles so far.

OP
OP

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
That's excellent news. I figured there would be rubbing with the sway disconnected but if I can run no lift that's perfect. Either of you have a picture or two? Also, do you have the 3.6 or a 2.0?

I very much appreciate the feedback, that really makes everything much easier and less prone to have issues.

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I'll just share some of my experience with hope it helps you out. I'm running a Sport S with a 2.5" lift from Rock Krawler on 18" Fuel wheels and Nitto Terra Grapler G2 35x12.50X18 tires. I Like the width of my tires and because of the -12 offset of the wheels, they stick out past the fender which I feel help me with CG issues, especially on banked curves. The Nittos, while not inexpensive, are a great quality tire with low noise.

I Love my setup and it works well for the wheeling I do, but because of the weight of the lift components and the weight of each tire/wheel my MPG's went down by about 5. This may be too beefy a setup for what you plan to do. I'll close by adding that the biggest issue that affected driving/handling performance was TIRE PRESSURE! Both my stock tires and my installed Nittos came aired-up to over 40 psi. The Jeep was weaving all over the place. After I dropping it to 36 psi, it drives fantastic. So whatever you decide to go with, CHECK & ADJUST YOUR TIRE PRESSURE!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Hi,

I have 315 70-17 BF Goodrich Ko2’s On my Rubicon with no problems at all. I first had the stock wheels then I switched to fuel Anza wheels and still no problems. I have a winch on the steel bumper group and I did notice that my front end dropped about 1/2 inch after adding the winch. I may put a spacer up onto the front To get back that 1/2 inch and other than that I’m not even sure the Rubicon needs a lift. At least not for my purposes, if I decide later on that it does the most I would do would be to add a Teraflex one and a half inch leveling kit to it.

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Almost everyone will tend to suggest what they are running, and I am no different. That said, I have run quite a few different tires on four Jeeps over the years and found that for an aggressive look and better performance off road than the KO2’s (or other options) without sacrificing road manners (especially noise), the Destination M/T2 is a pretty solid choice. I have 37’s but you can get 35’s.

Beartooth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unl Rubicon; 2018 JK Unl Sport; 1976 CJ-7 V8
That's excellent news. I figured there would be rubbing with the sway disconnected but if I can run no lift that's perfect. Either of you have a picture or two? Also, do you have the 3.6 or a 2.0?

I very much appreciate the feedback, that really makes everything much easier and less prone to have issues.
3.6L and no rubbing with the sway disconnected.
I was out this afternoon testing the KO2s in bentonite gumbo mud; it’s as slick axle grease, really sticky and heavy. The mud dries like concrete. I slid down this hill half sideways in the rut with full brake, but crawled back up it with locked diffs. I am very happy with the KO2s!

EE1DF4B3-4A15-44E2-8E76-5219199269F7.jpeg

EA63B2A2-0904-44D4-BC55-94C7FE7A24C3.jpeg

OP
OP

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
Great info. I'm down in TX and clay soil is our game. MT tires even struggle. Suspect the KO2s won't be the best in the stick, but I spend most of my miles on the street as do most of us. :) I've got a winch to help and always wheel with friends so should be ok. Having a decent on-road tire will be well worth giving up a little in the mud department.

Very much appreciate the feedback, it sounds like this is a no-brainer upgrade.

Sponsored

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Okay then may I ask, will 35” work the same on a Sport? I know the wheels are the same width, but I know the fenders have the deeper lip. I also don’t want to have to do a lift or buy wheels so I’m choosing between 33” and 35”. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
Okay then may I ask, will 35” work the same on a Sport? I know the wheels are the same width, but I know the fenders have the deeper lip. I also don’t want to have to do a lift or buy wheels so I’m choosing between 33” and 35”. Thanks in advance!
Axle is also not as wide. As far as I have read 35s are definitely not an option on a stock sport - they are very close even on a Rubicon. Not sure on 33s. You should spin up a thead for sport fitment! Good luck.

Last edited:

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Axle is also not as wide. As far as much very read 35s are definitely not an option on a stock sport - they are very close even on a Rubicon. Not sure on 33s. You should spin up a thead for sport fitment! Good luck.
Okay. So then for 35” it’s even more involved. It would take a lift and wheels with more offset to widen the track to make up for the narrower axles... definitely more involved than I want to get. Looks like I’ll go with 33”. Thanks for the reply!

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
On my Sport S, even with the 2.5" lift and wheels with a -12 offset, my 35x12.50x18 tires rub the rear fenders at full flex.
Sponsored