First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSD
Build Thread
Link
AZ! We have a huge Offroad community with many trails. If you’re down in the valley take a 2 hr drive north and experience a different scenery and in winter times snow. Moab is only a 7 hr drive away from the valley(Phoenix).
Sponsored

Deleted member 59098

I’m gradually settling in to the Lake Tahoe area. Bought a cabin years ago and plan to retire there later. The winters can be pretty brutal, but when the sun is out, it’s very pleasant. The wheeling options are already well known. Nevada trails are very close and not so snowy. You can live on the Nevada side for a few more bucks and enjoy an income tax free state. The winter drives away a lot of the city problems except traffic and some annoying tourists. There’s true western wilderness all around to play in. Summers are super pleasant and not many bugs at my house. Just the occasional bear, raccoons and coyotes in the neighborhood.

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
Tha
About three years before I retired, I started saving to buy a Jeep. My wife and I watched this video and it inspired us to Jeep travel.

I ordered a JLUR about two weeks after I retired. When I retired, I left the next day for an ATV trip to the Badlands of South Dakota... basically ordered it when I got back.

Our goal is to wheel from Arizona to Alaska in retirement. My wife retires this year on October. I have been retired since Sept. of 2018.. I picked the JLUR up in Nov of 2018. I already had about six grand of stuff waiting in the garage for the Jeep. I started modding it with 93 miles on it.

Since getting the Jeep, we have collected 32 badge trails from all over the US and wheeled and or camped in the following states: Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Pensilvania, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, California, Idaho, Iowa, and Nebraska, and of course drove through many other states to do this.

My favorite places to wheel are in Utah so far. I love red rock and green trees. I like Moab, the Zion area, Hurricane, the area around Lake Powell, There is just tons of areas to explore. I have been to Moab twice in less than a year.

Colorado is also beautiful. I love the Ouray, Telluride and Silverton area, Breckinridge, Crested Butte, Mount Crested Butte, Gothic, Gunnison, and Monstrose areas, but they are only great for wheeling for a few months out of the year and coming from Michigan......fuck the snow. I don't mind snow for a day or two, but really want to have a lot less snow in my life.

My wheeling in Arizona has been limited. I can't wait to explore Arizona, along with New Mexico. I have traveled in these areas, but not as much as some of the other spots.

So starting in Jan 2022, we will spend Jan, Feb and March in West Texas, Southern New Mexico, Southern Arizona, and Southern California wheeling and camping. Late March, we will head into Nevada, Northern, Arizona, Northern New Mexico and Utah. We plan to be in Moab for four to six weeks starting in April. Then start into Colorado by June and spend June and some of July in Colorado.... depending on the weather. Mid July, we will start heading north to Alaska. We plan to travel up through Montana, get on the Alaskan Hyw and keep going until we get up to Dead Horse Alaska, Then head back west and enter back into the lower 48 on the west coast. Should be about mid September. Use what is left of September and Oct to explore some of Washington, Oregon and Idaho. Then come back across the US to Michigan by mid November. Spend the holidays with family and head back out in January of 23 to pick up stuff that we may have missed or things we want to do again.

I am getting close to bulletproofing the Jeep and having it prepped for long time travel....
We currently tow this camper set up. I towed the camper approx 17,000+ miles last year.
1612446362642.png

From Rausch Creek in Pennsilvina
1612446430452.png

West Virginia
1612446542500.png

North Carolina
1612446590171.png

Virginia

1612446733111.png

Utah Moab
1612446828098.png

1612447055867.png

Wyoming
1612446866695.png

California.. Rubicon Trail
1612446950921.png

Michigan
1612447114078.png

1612447152155.png

Colorado
1612447193535.png

1612447433503.png

Tennesse
1612447366495.png

Here are some travel pages that I have posted here on this form.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...pennsylvania-picture-heavy-and-so-vids.60433/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...picture-heavy-3-more-badge-trails-done.57960/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...eet-forum-members-in-the-oddest-places.55768/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...west-from-michigan-pic-and-video-heavy.38104/

I have more, but hey this should give you some insight. I am heading to Georgia, Alabama, and Florida next month to go wheeling......
[/QUOTE

Thanks for posting the video, do you have any pictures of the inside of your camper?

Sponsored

mark090852

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wranger Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Nevada, Arizona or Utah. You can get to all the right places including CO but you would never want to live in that state, it is just Eastern California.
We love living in Grand Junction, Colorado. Previously lived in central PA for 43 years. Just 5 minutes after we retired we moved to western Colorado and haven't regretted it for a minute. Taxes low, real estate affordable compared to the Front Range area and the resorts. And FANTASTIC weather! Abundant sunshine and very little snow in the Grand Valley, but we have "drive to" snow just 30 minutes away if we want it. And some of the best Jeeping trails in the world are only about an hour away.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Not sure how the northwest is for retirement but I love it for wheeling and the outdoors. I’ve lived in Oregon and Washington and this is an amazing area with an unlimited amount of trails and wilderness to explore. Also a stones throw from British Columbia which has a ton of wheeling opportunities as too. I don‘t see myself living in any other place. The northwest is must visit for any nature lover.
2D55FECA-D526-4FDF-96C5-1BBDED5AE843.jpeg
D04F72A4-5C8B-46E4-8861-8F5319D5B76B.jpeg
375E0F2C-03A5-4AE1-98F6-6488C6ACCC7C.jpeg
Beautiful photos! We love the PNW and it’s a serious consideration for retirement. I love that it’s close to the ocean and cooler.

My daughter and her fiancé moved to the Phoenix area and love it. It’s waaaaaaaay too hot for me. Nope.

HeresRonnie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Beautiful photos! We love the PNW and it’s a serious consideration for retirement. I love that it’s close to the ocean and cooler.

My daughter and her fiancé moved to the Phoenix area and love it. It’s waaaaaaaay too hot for me. Nope.
The northwest is special, the weather is great. Don’t believe the “it rains all the time”. It does get overcast or the light rains but the winters are mild. The summers are amazing. Plus canada being so close gives you a ton of camping, overlanding or wheeling options within a short drive.

Toxiclows

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s jl
Western Colorado! I'm just a little over an hour from Moab, UT and the same for Ouray, CO. It doesn't get any better than that.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Places to Live for Wheeling GPS SaysTakeaRight...Now!

agreed!!! I live in Pueblo West. but we ventured out to. OUray, Silverton and Telluride area. . .. . beautiful. Ouray is my fav. and close to Moab. . . . .Cant go wrong with Utah Or COlorado

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
We love living in Grand Junction, Colorado.
Indeed! GJ is a very sweet spot. Lived there when a kid. Every town between Ridgeway to Loma is ideal for a Jeeper....... Moab is the equivalent distance of a suburb in L.A. Your main challenge is to keep the California infested Eastern Slopers and their politics out. Spent some time three years ago in Montrose and all we heard on local TV was a retired Hewlett Packard suit from the front range moving into the valley, running for mayor intent on changing things. God help you!

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
EHS
Western Colorado! I'm just a little over an hour from Moab, UT and the same for Ouray, CO. It doesn't get any better than that.

Damn that's nice. Enjoying these photos while stuck in a state that has just mud, mud, and oh wait, more mud (FL)

mark090852

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wranger Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Damn that's nice. Enjoying these photos while stuck in a state that has just mud, mud, and oh wait, more mud (FL)
What’s mud? Actually, I totally understand what you mean. We just moved to Colorado upon retirement, after living in central Pennsylvania for 43 years. I know all about mud and fog and drizzle. We haven’t stopped smiling since we moved here a year and a half ago!
Sponsored