Sponsored

Best place to take pictures in the Desert?

Frankeer

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sport S
Hi everyone, i am from Phoenix Arizona and my wife wants me to take her to the desert and make a photoshoot of ther and my JL, is there anyone here from Phoenix who can give me advice on where to go?
Sponsored

bturleysc

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
I'm from Phoenix (hoping to move back this year). There aren't a ton of great places in the Phoenix metro area, but if you get 1.5 to 2 hours north of Phoenix you'll find more than you can count. There are trails everywhere. I'd go to Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, Prescott, or Sholow and the White Mountain area. Just north of Phoenix is Table Mesa Road. You might be able to get some great shots there as well.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hi everyone, i am from Phoenix Arizona and my wife wants me to take her to the desert and make a photoshoot of ther and my JL, is there anyone here from Phoenix who can give me advice on where to go?
Sedona!!!!!!

I used to live in Tucson and Saguaro National Park was awesome Get some awesome sunset photos with the saguaro

bturleysc

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
You might also want to think about taking the trails to Crown King. It's just outside of Phoenix and you'll get some great desert pictures out there.

Sponsored

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If you want desert pics, close to Phoenix, the Lake Pleasant area is great. It's the same as the Crown King road... so you can run a cool trail at the same time.

Out east, the area south of US 60, south and west of Superior is beautiful too.

Go get the pics soon though. The green and flowers are going to disappear before you know it, and summer is going to come quickly.

This is a pic from just last weekend, hiking around Lake Pleasant. For the most part, easily accessed by any Jeep.

20200301_081234.jpg

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
For a fairly quick spot to get to, I like to take 88 past Tortilla Flats to just past where the pavement ends.

gcdaz

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Montana Mountain trail near Superior has some of the most beautiful desert around in the lower areas and gorgeous long view landscapes near the top. It’s easy and accessible.

gcdaz

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Mt Graham near Safford has a couple routes, one dirt road on the back, one paved on the front. Both have amazing long views and heavy forest (often misty and wet) near the top.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If the idea is to shoot pix of her, its not where, but how. Direct sunlight will leave harsh shadows on a person's face around the eyes, etc. Either shoot her in the shade or bring a big fill flash or reflectors. This is why you see photographers with assistants moving around the chrome umbrellas in outdoor shoots. You can make the reflectors with a piece of cardboard and some foil or buy some cheap ones with the gold foil. Gold reflectors give a warmer light color. Or you can shift color balance post processing. If you make your own reflectors from foil, crinkle it up then flatten it on the cardboard and use the frosty side so you don't have a harsh reflection. Make em big, like 3ft square or bigger.

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like we're all saying the same things. North and west of Phoenix.... and east and southeast of Phoenix.
All good choices for scenery.

And roaniecownpony is right... it's all about the light baby. Especially when you're taking a photo of "something" in a scene (i.e. your Jeep!)