Best performance tuner...

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
Whats everyones experience with performance tuners?
I currently have the Flashcal 5, pcm swap, and while the jeep runs great on the 93 tune, I continually have CEL's that immediately come back after deleting. This was never an issue before doing the pcm swap supplied by Superchip. My last diagnostic scan actually said "Too many error codes, please contact dealer", the one prior to that had 18 codes.
All the options with the unit work fine, tire size, light options, etc.
The dash sometimes does not come on until you stop and restart the vehicle several times, and every now and then goes haywire running through all the set up pages while driving. It also randomly says I have 99,999 miles too.
I'm done with it. Superchip customer service is crap and can't get anywhere with them. So I am ditching this and going with something else.
Would preferable have a plug and play system and not have to send pcm off anywere for dialing in and calibrating like the Livernois set up.

I know there are scuds of posts on this, but many being 100+ pages long makes it really hard to shuffle through the fluff to find actual answers, so I appreciate any input!!
Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I have the Livernois tune running on E85. Their trans tune alone is worth the price. When I was on the 93oct tune I got an addition 2 mpg. No codes were thrown except when I first changed PCMs, which is normal. I have not had any issues at all, jeep runs great. Only downside is I dont think its compatable with etorque or the 2.0l.

I purchased an additional PCM from them so my Jeep had no downtime. I can also swap back to my OEM unit for dealer visits.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Whats everyones experience with performance tuners?
I currently have the Flashcal 5, pcm swap, and while the jeep runs great on the 93 tune, I continually have CEL's that immediately come back after deleting. This was never an issue before doing the pcm swap supplied by Superchip. My last diagnostic scan actually said "Too many error codes, please contact dealer", the one prior to that had 18 codes.
All the options with the unit work fine, tire size, light options, etc.
The dash sometimes does not come on until you stop and restart the vehicle several times, and every now and then goes haywire running through all the set up pages while driving. It also randomly says I have 99,999 miles too.
I'm done with it. Superchip customer service is crap and can't get anywhere with them. So I am ditching this and going with something else.
Would preferable have a plug and play system and not have to send pcm off anywhere for dialing in and calibrating like the Livernois set up.

I know there are scuds of posts on this, but many being 100+ pages long makes it really hard to shuffle through the fluff to find actual answers, so I appreciate any input!!
With any of them you may get some errors right after the flash. Other modules get pissy when they lose the connection to the pcm and/or tcm. Lots of computers on the jeeps network. Drive it around for 5 minutes then shut it off. Come back an hour or so later and all the other modules are happy again. I've seen radios and backup cameras, climate control, adaptive cruise all stop working as if the vehicle wasn't equipped with them after a bunch of flashing, or dead batteries. Not just jeeps all different makes. But yes, I've seen it on jeeps too. I have had this happen in the past when a battery went dead on me. Even my radio wallpaper was wrong of a little while.
Give it some time and it all comes back by itself.

After everybody is happy and talking again on the jeep's network check the codes. Or clear and recheck if they come back. If they come back then look at what the codes are. Most of the time it's from a bad connection. Sometimes it's the wrong tune in the pcm for the vehicle.

Make sure your tuner is up to date. Just about every manufacturer of tuners has some kind of online update for their tools. Make sure yours has the latest and greatest.

Also, make sure you didn't bend any pins when reconnecting the pcm and it's clean. Seems like it shouldn't be able to happen but it happens all the time. I've seen them come from the factory with lose wires going into the pcm and bcm plugs before. Just double check. An unlocked pcm is usually a stock tune in it and waiting for the tuner to change it, so it shouldn't generate any error codes.

Good luck. For what it's worth I have the SuperChips tune on my 2.0 and really like it.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I think Diablo Sport just released engine and trans tuning for the 2.0. I assume they have it for the 3.6 as well.

OP
OP
cmb396

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With any of them you may get some errors right after the flash. Other modules get pissy when they lose the connection to the pcm and/or tcm. Lots of computers on the jeeps network. Drive it around for 5 minutes then shut it off. Come back an hour or so later and all the other modules are happy again. I've seen radios and backup cameras, climate control, adaptive cruise all stop working as if the vehicle wasn't equipped with them after a bunch of flashing, or dead batteries. Not just jeeps all different makes. But yes, I've seen it on jeeps too. I have had this happen in the past when a battery went dead on me. Even my radio wallpaper was wrong of a little while.
Give it some time and it all comes back by itself.

After everybody is happy and talking again on the jeep's network check the codes. Or clear and recheck if they come back. If they come back then look at what the codes are. Most of the time it's from a bad connection. Sometimes it's the wrong tune in the pcm for the vehicle.

Make sure your tuner is up to date. Just about every manufacturer of tuners has some kind of online update for their tools. Make sure yours has the latest and greatest.

Also, make sure you didn't bend any pins when reconnecting the pcm and it's clean. Seems like it shouldn't be able to happen but it happens all the time. I've seen them come from the factory with lose wires going into the pcm and bcm plugs before. Just double check. An unlocked pcm is usually a stock tune in it and waiting for the tuner to change it, so it shouldn't generate any error codes.

Good luck. For what it's worth I have the SuperChips tune on my 2.0 and really like it.
I've actually been dealing with this for about 6 mos., and just learned to live with the CEL. Now that other things like the dash, radio, and it just flat shutting off this morning while driving down the road, I'm over it.
I have checked all connections and plugs, multiple times. Both batteries are good. Have done several soft resets. Downloaded updates, and re tuned a dozen times, and each time i do, another code pops up.

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've actually been dealing with this for about 6 mos., and just learned to live with the CEL. Now that other things like the dash, radio, and it just flat shutting off this morning while driving down the road, I'm over it.
I have checked all connections and plugs, multiple times. Both batteries are good. Have done several soft resets. Downloaded updates, and re tuned a dozen times, and each time i do, another code pops up.
Is this only with a tune loaded or with the swap PCM installed but no tune?

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
This is the first vehicle I have owned where I will do nothing under the hood. Tune/CAI not worth it to me.

OP
OP
cmb396

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this only with a tune loaded or with the swap PCM installed but no tune?
This is with swapped pcm and tune loaded.
The Superchip cannot load a tune into factory pcm, so they sell you an unlocked pcm to install their performance tunes.
I’m going to return to stock and put my factory pcm back in and see if codes still occur. I’m guessing they won’t?!

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
This is with swapped pcm and tune loaded.
The Superchip cannot load a tune into factory pcm, so they sell you an unlocked pcm to install their performance tunes.
I’m going to return to stock and put my factory pcm back in and see if codes still occur. I’m guessing they won’t?!
I'd try returning the swapped PCM back to stock and leaving it in to see how the jeep runs stock. See if any codes come back. That's the easiest test anyway, doesn't even require you to open the hood :) If you don't get any codes contact their tech support and let them know you only get codes when a tune is loaded. You can always ask to speak to a manager or level 2 tech. All companies have different levels of phone techs and some are just more knowledgeable than others.

If you do get codes with the swap PCM after putting it back to stock, try putting your original PCM back in and see if you get any codes. If you don't get codes with your factory PCM call them and let them know that everything is fine with your factory PCM. In this case you most likely got a defective PCM and they need to get you a good one.

If you get codes with your factory PCM installed then the problem isn't with the tune or the pcm and the trouble is elsewhere. Bring it back to the dealer and let them fix it. A tune can't break wiring or sensors. That's what a warranty is for.

Let us know how it goes. Also, let us know what the codes are if they come back after being cleared.

OP
OP
cmb396

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd try returning the swapped PCM back to stock and leaving it in to see how the jeep runs stock. See if any codes come back. That's the easiest test anyway, doesn't even require you to open the hood :) If you don't get any codes contact their tech support and let them know you only get codes when a tune is loaded. You can always ask to speak to a manager or level 2 tech. All companies have different levels of phone techs and some are just more knowledgeable than others.

If you do get codes with the swap PCM after putting it back to stock, try putting your original PCM back in and see if you get any codes. If you don't get codes with your factory PCM call them and let them know that everything is fine with your factory PCM. In this case you most likely got a defective PCM and they need to get you a good one.

If you get codes with your factory PCM installed then the problem isn't with the tune or the pcm and the trouble is elsewhere. Bring it back to the dealer and let them fix it. A tune can't break wiring or sensors. That's what a warranty is for.

Let us know how it goes. Also, let us know what the codes are if they come back after being cleared.
so returned to stock with unlocked pcm and still got these codes...
Jeep Wrangler JL Best performance tuner... 71D0AFD6-B6B4-4434-BE74-B24DC4D08254
Jeep Wrangler JL Best performance tuner... 7BD9AB59-8502-448C-A671-F010EBCD595E

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
so returned to stock with unlocked pcm and still got these codes...
Well, those are not tune related codes, but they look like they might "just go away". Any time I see communication based codes after a reflash they usually go away by themselves. Modern vehicles literally have a computer network with multiple computer modules in them. When one is taken offline, like during a reflash, the others can't talk to it and they throw codes. Once the module is back online and talking they get happy again. Drive the jeep around for 5 or 10 minutes then park it and let it sit. I don't know how long. I've left them sitting for 45 minutes and I've left them overnight to come out and find everything all back to normal. Clear the codes and see if they come back. Those lost communication codes should go away.

U0010 is the one that concerns me. There is a chance that one of the pins is bent or not making a good clean connection, or there is a short in the wiring. Try putting the factory PCM in and see if that code comes back. If it doesn't come back it's most likely just a defective pcm. If it does look at the connector to the PCM very carefully. Look at each pin. At that point you could always take it to the dealer. That's a non-tuning related issue.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
I have the Livernois tune running on E85. Their trans tune alone is worth the price. When I was on the 93oct tune I got an addition 2 mpg. No codes were thrown except when I first changed PCMs, which is normal. I have not had any issues at all, jeep runs great. Only downside is I dont think its compatable with etorque or the 2.0l.

I purchased an additional PCM from them so my Jeep had no downtime. I can also swap back to my OEM unit for dealer visits.
goodness. Tcm tune. Pcm tune. Spare ecu. Thats nearly $2,000.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
goodness. Tcm tune. Pcm tune. Spare ecu. Thats nearly $2,000.
$1000 all in. It was $700 without the spare PCM. If you have your own bypass cable you can save another $40. Still expensive but I am still under warranty. If I was past my 3/36 I would not have bought the spare PCM.

Between the tune and new steering box it feels like a whole new Jeep. I will never do any suspension like a lift etc. This was my version of that.
Sponsored