Sponsored

Best Option for Cargo Security w/ Top Off?

jamief

First Name
jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler unlimited sport s
This is what I came up with so the back seats wont fold down. you just need to unscrew and unhook, then the seats will fold down.

20200219_101113.jpg

20200219_103302.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

MotownJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler, 2011 Chevy Suburban
This is with the top down.

20200218_093720.jpg

20200218_093730.jpg
Excellent job! How is the strength and rigidity toward the middle of this? Can you use it as a shelf, or will it have some major bowing in the middle? Also, were the factory hardtop bolts on the sides long enough - or would I need to buy some new hardware?

Thanks!

jamief

First Name
jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excellent job! How is the strength and rigidity toward the middle of this? Can you use it as a shelf, or will it have some major bowing in the middle? Also, were the factory hardtop bolts on the sides long enough - or would I need to buy some new hardware?

Thanks!
I think it would have bowing if used as a shelf. it is 1/2" plywood. the factory bolts are long enough. This is mainly just a security cover. I'm going to add corner brackets tomorrow to see it that helps.. MDF might also be a better option

itstotalbacon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I think it would have bowing if used as a shelf. it is 1/2" plywood. the factory bolts are long enough. This is mainly just a security cover. I'm going to add corner brackets tomorrow to see it that helps.. MDF might also be a better option
Yup! I'm going with 3/4 MDF and planning to have an alumnium H channel between the front and rear piece. Love the idea for clipping into the rear seats. Definitely going with something similar! Save money and time by needing a 3rd piece

jamief

First Name
jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup! I'm going with 3/4 MDF and planning to have an alumnium H channel between the front and rear piece. Love the idea for clipping into the rear seats. Definitely going with something similar! Save money and time by needing a 3rd piece
I am thinking of putting a back piece on with a piano hinge to seal it when the top is up, I'm unsure that will work though.. This is still just version 1. It is working good so far

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Here's an option I posted many months ago. I used para-cord for the net, but eventually wanted to make one with light weight vinyl coated steel cable. I wanted something stronger than zip ties to tie it together, but never found anything that was practical, so haven't made a steel net yet.

I built a frame with PVC pipe to secure my home made, built to size net. The back piece is secured when the door is closed, you have to open the door and remove the back piece to get into the net.

cargo net empty 2.jpg

cargo net full 2.jpg

cargo net open.jpg

cargo net secured 2.jpg
I'm not sure if it's clear in these pictures, but the frame is threaded through the hold down loops and can't be removed without the back door open.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
I'm not sure if it's clear in these pictures, but the frame is threaded through the hold down loops and can't be removed without the back door open.
Just to point out the obvious, but nylon rope (like what's found in paracord) is often used in plumbing or landscaping/sprinkler systems to cut PVC in tight spaces...

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I came up with so the back seats wont fold down. you just need to unscrew and unhook, then the seats will fold down.

20200219_101113.jpg

20200219_103302.jpg
Brilliant! Thank you for posting this. This an example of "a picture is worth a thousand words"

itstotalbacon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
wood is cut .... liner is going on! On a side note, the exposed rack system is amazing! Little cold on the way home from Lowe's at 15 degrees though
IMG_0351.jpg
IMG_0352.jpg

MotownJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler, 2011 Chevy Suburban
wood is cut .... liner is going on! On a side note, the exposed rack system is amazing! Little cold on the way home from Lowe's at 15 degrees though
IMG_0351.jpg
IMG_0352.jpg
That looks great! Can't wait to see the finished product. Any tips on how to get the shape onto the wood before cutting? I'm guessing that's the hardest part of it all.

Sponsored

itstotalbacon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
That looks great! Can't wait to see the finished product. Any tips on how to get the shape onto the wood before cutting? I'm guessing that's the hardest part of it all.
definitely the hardest part ..... I used some cardboard for the general shape of the roll cage. Then I had some smaller pieces of MDF from another project and transferred the cardboard. My rear piece over lapped slightly on the tailgate. I was able to just trace the outline for the rear then. The piece in the front was done using cardboard and transferring that to small square of spare MDF. Once things started lining up the rest was pretty easy.

Honestly though, 2 pieces of MDF is still about $50 so I would get 2 4x8 pieces and start mocking things up one and transfer that to your final piece. Cardboard did help the process since it's lightweight and easy to trim with scissors.

jamief

First Name
jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMG_0351.jpg
IMG_0352.jpg
that looks like the jftops version

jamief

First Name
jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
take alot of measurement for around the rollbar and all its angles.. the back piece can come off and you can trace that

jamief

First Name
jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMG_0351.jpg
IMG_0352.jpg
did you do a straight cut on the back or a slight curve?

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_0351.jpg
IMG_0352.jpg
Looks amazing! Great job.

Are you planning on rounding the outside top edges? Or keep the 90%.
Sponsored