Sponsored

Best Option for Cargo Security w/ Top Off?

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUS (Granite Crystal)
Occupation
CPA
Hi guys, wondering what everyone does to protect their cargo/trunk space when they've got the top off. I've seen the Tuffy and Aries options but they mostly seem like they're full-on safes that are very expensive and require installation. If that's all we've got, that's fine. Just wondering if anyone is doing something else. Not looking to secure diamonds here, but if we go shopping and want to store our stuff while we walk around, seems this might be the best course. Thanks!
Sponsored

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Have not seen it, but, What I would like to see is a net made of wire rope fastened with security bolts. Simple, light weight and easy to store when not in use. All of those steel boxes are too expensive and heavy in my opinion for the casual user. I do understand that they are dual function and can support a load.

OP
OP
davidafuller

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
Have not seen it, but, What I would like to see is a net made of wire rope fastened with security bolts. Simple, light weight and easy to store when not in use. All of those steel boxes are too expensive and heavy in my opinion for the casual user. I do understand that they are dual function and can support a load.
Right, agreed. They have functionality and seem very secure. Just not necessary for more casual situations like securing/hiding relatively inexpensive items that would still obviously be preferable not to have stolen.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I love my Tuffy enclosure. Had one for the JK to just have as a shelf on one trip, then ended up using it all the time. The JL is better cause you can prop the lid up, or remove it without tools (if you need to carry a big item). The aspect shelf is great too. I leave all my Search and Rescue gear in it year round, and when the top is off, it give a great place to secure stuff when you leave the Jeep. Buy once cry once. I canā€™t think of a better option.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hi guys, wondering what everyone does to protect their cargo/trunk space when they've got the top off. I've seen the Tuffy and Aries options but they mostly seem like they're full-on safes that are very expensive and require installation. If that's all we've got, that's fine. Just wondering if anyone is doing something else. Not looking to secure diamonds here, but if we go shopping and want to store our stuff while we walk around, seems this might be the best course. Thanks!
The compartment under the rear floor is quite spacious and is secure when you lock the rear tailgate. The floor can't be lifted up without the door being open.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
davidafuller

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
I love my Tuffy enclosure. Had one for the JK to just have as a shelf on one trip, then ended up using it all the time. The JL is better cause you can prop the lid up, or remove it without tools (if you need to carry a big item). The aspect shelf is great too. I leave all my Search and Rescue gear in it year round, and when the top is off, it give a great place to secure stuff when you leave the Jeep. Buy once cry once. I canā€™t think of a better option.
I assume you're referring to this:

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-564-tuffy-jl-security-deck-enclosure.aspx

It says the lid can be easily removed without tools. I assume that means when the door is open, not closed.. and you can't access the storage by folding the back seat(s) down, can you?

OP
OP
davidafuller

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
The compartment under the rear floor is quite spacious and is secure when you lock the rear door. The floor can't be lifted up without the door being open.
I'll look closer at it but last I checked I wasn't sure I'd be able to fit a couple of grocery bags or a small handful of shopping bags. Maybe I'm wrong there.

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara

It says the lid can be easily removed without tools. I assume that means when the door is open, not closed.. and you can't access the storage by folding the back seat(s) down, can you?
I have the Tuffy for the Subwoofer. Love it. You cannot access it from the front with the lid on so anything in it is secure if the rear gate is closed. I keep all of my fire gear in there and then use the lid for carrying items. I added stick-on carpet tiles to the top of my lid and use these to secure items if I'm carrying anything:

https://www.amazon.com/Stayhold-Tru...ER68YM79PD9&psc=1&refRID=1R4YKGQGBER68YM79PD9

so far no issues with items flying.

itstotalbacon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I'm going to be building something along these lines. I'm thinking of adding an aluminum H channel between the panels for increased strength. I'll probably through some D-rings on top to tie cargo down when i carry items up there. May end up wrapping it like below or just bed liner paint.

current state is just getting cardboard cut for a template. I'll probably hold off until spring when it warms up. Garage is about 30 degrees right now
cover.jpg

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392

Yes, and as it has already been said, no access to anything behind seats, etc... - only when tailgate is open. And ALL panels can be removed without tools. Only 2 ā€œLā€ brackets on the side need an Allen wrench to remove, but they wouldnā€™t really be in the way, even with the panels removed.

Only negative with this is that Tuffyā€™s packaging is crap. My panels were all scratched and a couple bends here and there from being beaten during shipping. For the cost I was annoyed, but not mad enough to cause a fuss with Tuffy. I just hit the scratches with a rattle can (fortunately they were all on the inside where youā€™d need a flashlight to see them) and moved on. Itā€™s going to get scratched from use anyway. I also added some D rings to the top to strap stuff down. The JK version I had came with them from Tuffy, but the JL doesnā€™t. I put one in each corner and 2 in the middle. If you do that, make sure you put a small piece of velcro (the kind you use to wrap up electrical cords, etc that sticks to itself) around the D ring where it gets clamped down. You wonā€™t see it, but it keeps them from rattling or bouncing around. (Sorry I donā€™t have any pics in my phone).

Sponsored

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, and as it has already been said, no access to anything behind seats, etc... - only when tailgate is open. And ALL panels can be removed without tools. Only 2 ā€œLā€ brackets on the side need an Allen wrench to remove, but they wouldnā€™t really be in the way, even with the panels removed.

Only negative with this is that Tuffyā€™s packaging is crap. My panels were all scratched and a couple bends here and there from being beaten during shipping. For the cost I was annoyed, but not mad enough to cause a fuss with Tuffy. I just hit the scratches with a rattle can (fortunately they were all on the inside where youā€™d need a flashlight to see them) and moved on. Itā€™s going to get scratched from use anyway. I also added some D rings to the top to strap stuff down. The JK version I had came with them from Tuffy, but the JL doesnā€™t. I put one in each corner and 2 in the middle. If you do that, make sure you put a small piece of velcro (the kind you use to wrap up electrical cords, etc that sticks to itself) around the D ring where it gets clamped down. You wonā€™t see it, but it keeps them from rattling or bouncing around. (Sorry I donā€™t have any pics in my phone).
Mind posting up a pic if you get a chance? It would be appreciated.
Thanks!

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
The scratches on top are my doing. I also added the D rings.
ED3F1FF8375C48ED9568.jpg

This is propped up with the included prop rod.

91CE92685208457B8A8A.jpg

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
The scratches on top are my doing. I also added the D rings.
ED3F1FF8375C48ED9568.jpg

This is propped up with the included prop rod.

91CE92685208457B8A8A.jpg
Nice! I like the D-Rings. I, too, had the Tuffy enclosure with D-rings in my JK and they were very useful. I'm surprised Tuffy doesn't include them with the JL version. Were the D-rings purchased from Tuffy?
Thanks for the pics!

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
No, just some stainless ones from Amazon and stainless hardware from a local store. I also learned that stainless likes to gall itself up really easily (even with hand tools), so use a dab of antiseize on all the bolts if you use stainless! Otherwise, youā€™ll get to drive back to the store for more bolts like I did ā€ā™‚
AND I used some double-sided Velcro (that wraps on to itself) under the D ring hold down. Learned that from Tuffy on the JK one, keeps the rings from rattling.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Check out the jeepbackbone site and search this site for info. It's more expensive, but easier to install/remove.
Sponsored