Sponsored

best oil filter for 2.0 turbo?

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Picking my new Jeep up this Friday with the 2.0T. What oil does Jeep currently use at the dealerships when you take it in to get the oil changed for free in the Jeep wave program or whatever it's called? Is it any good?
And therein lies the issue. Who knows. I've always done my own oil changes, that way I know exactly what oil goes in and what filter goes on (assuming the packaging is correct).

Lately, since we have brand new vehicles and the oil changes are included for the first 3/36, I've been taking them in. I hate it because the lowest guy on the roster gets stuck doing oil changes. And the Service Manager is constantly trying to upsell, cabin filters especially. They got my wife for $48 for one last time. I was furious.

The oil issue, of course, is the oil comes from who knows where in the shop via a small gas pump looking hose and the filters are white, like 80s generic beer.

They have no incentive to use top quality and a lot of incentive to use cheap stuff, good for them both short and long term.

My Hydro goes in for her first oil change @ 4500 next week.
Sponsored

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
And therein lies the issue. Who knows. I've always done my own oil changes, that way I know exactly what oil goes in and what filter goes on (assuming the packaging is correct).

Lately, since we have brand new vehicles and the oil changes are included for the first 3/36, I've been taking them in. I hate it because the lowest guy on the roster gets stuck doing oil changes. And the Service Manager is constantly trying to upsell, cabin filters especially. They got my wife for $48 for one last time. I was furious.

The oil issue, of course, is the oil comes from who knows where in the shop via a small gas pump looking hose and the filters are white, like 80s generic beer.

They have no incentive to use top quality and a lot of incentive to use cheap stuff, good for them both short and long term.

My Hydro goes in for her first oil change @ 4500 next week.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Yeah F that. They can keep their "free" oil changes.

I'll document and keep my receipts for warranty but to be honest an oil related/lube type malfunction is WAY down on my list of concerns. I'll do my own changes with quality products.

Trojan_Actual

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Occupation
Retired Military
Now we got API SP!

Sponsored

rhocking

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2.0T JLU Sport S
Now we got API SP!
Check this thread: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...fications-for-2-0t-ms-13340-sn-plus-sp.89502/

From what the thread says the oil cap may still say API SN PLUS. The MY2020 manual says MS-13340 or API SN PLUS but the MY2021 manual says API SP/GF-6 and the MY2023 manual says API SP/GF 6A.

Mobil-1 5w-30 lists API SP and SN PLUS and MS-13340
Pennzoil Platinum lists GF-6A and API SP and MS-13340
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum lists GF-6A and API SP (not seeing MS-13340 but I think this is a non-issue since it is API SP and GF-6A

Dads Jeep

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BMW X5 4.0 I Drive, 2018 Ram MegaCab Duelly
I’ll be using Castor oil Edge 5w-30 with a wix XP filter. Wix uses Champion labs materials, also Champion labs make RP filter. This oil does have the MS proper number as specified by Jeep/Mopar.
Sponsored