Sponsored

Best offset for Rubicon JL with no lift?

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
That's why I went with the jk version of the borah. It's got a +4mm offset
Sponsored

ptoemmes

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys “Edition” TBD Mar 2021
I just notice that the Jeep Performance wheels all seem to come with 4.4" BS and +12mm offset in 8"X17" and listed as +12mm offset in 8.5"X17" so one could "assume" that is the "preferred" setup wrt to scrub radius, etc. for larger tires - at least from Jeep's PoV.

BTW - does not compute with the calculator because a +12mm on an 8" wheel is more like 5.0" BS. On an 18.5"X17" wheel +12mm offset is 5.2" BS

How does that work with the calculator and your tire options?

I mention this only for discussion, because - again - above my pay grade and I'm sure many other options work well for those who have them and are experienced - as has been posted.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Thanks very helpful. I like the AEV Borah and see the JL version is a +25 offset. I think I can get the look with the look I want with a a Nitto 305/70r17 or if need be the 295/70r17 and use Method 701 wheels that come in a zero offset. I do like the black Borah's but don't think +25 works. One final question. If I go my route would that impair drivability in any way. I have heard much about people who have lifted and the vehicle wanders and needs to always be steered. I am I safe from that with just slightly bigger tires and using zero offset wheels.
The larger the tire you go with, the more you can decrease back space and still maintain the same scrub radius. This is due to the camber built into the axle C. So if you only increase the tire size a little, you shouldn't reduce the back space too much or you will end up with too large of a scrub radius. A large scrub radius is hard on ball joints, more difficult too steer, and more sensitive to braking inputs (not good things).

OP
OP
Sky King

Sky King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green, JLUR (soon)
The larger the tire you go with, the more you can decrease back space and still maintain the same scrub radius. This is due to the camber built into the axle C. So if you only increase the tire size a little, you shouldn't reduce the back space too much or you will end up with too large of a scrub radius. A large scrub radius is hard on ball joints, more difficult too steer, and more sensitive to braking inputs (not good things).
Thanks. So I think i'm not increasing the scrub radius much at all. I believe the Rubicon comes with 44.45 offset and 6.125 backspace. If I go with the 295's and my the Pintler I'm shifting to a +25 offset and a 5.77 backspace. Does that look like it should not impair the scrub radius? Also, would that wheel and back spacing then work better with a 305/70R17?

Sponsored

devicemanager

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
Mopar 77072470AB Gladiator Wheel in Black for 07-20 Jeep Wrangler JK, JL and Gladiator JT

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/satin-black-5-spoke-wheel

Color: Satin Black
Bolt Pattern: 5x5
Size: 17x8.5
Backspacing: 5.2
Offset: + 11.43mm
Wheel Diameter: 17
Wheel Width: 8.5
Shipping Weight: 31lb

I really thought they would be satin black, but they have metallic in them and it's not pure black. They look fantastic in person, but it is going to be difficult to repair scratches unless I can get the paint color matched.

IMG-3380.JPG

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Stock wheels with 1.5” backspacing looks good with 12.5” wide tires.
Do you mean stock wheels with 1.5 inch spacers?

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
My avatar shows stock wheels with 1.75 Synergy spacers. That’s 44.5 mm, so I guess that is like a zero offset wheel. Difference with aftermarket is that wheels are 8.5 wide and tires an inch wider, so you wind up with a little more poke.

KWC

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Thanks very helpful. I like the AEV Borah and see the JL version is a +25 offset. I think I can get the look with the look I want with a a Nitto 305/70r17 or if need be the 295/70r17 and use Method 701 wheels that come in a zero offset. I do like the black Borah's but don't think +25 works. One final question. If I go my route would that impair drivability in any way. I have heard much about people who have lifted and the vehicle wanders and needs to always be steered. I am I safe from that with just slightly bigger tires and using zero offset wheels.
what did you ultimately decide? I have stock JL rubicon 4xe setup and looking at upsizing to 315/70/17C and considering zero offset wheels.
Sponsored