Sponsored

Best mod for Moab

tyler2786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
So the Navy is moving us from the WA to VA, so we're planning 3 days in Moab on the way! I grew up with jeeps, but on the east coast, so slick rock and steps are new to me.

I've got a 2018 JLUR that is stock with a winch and was curious if there was anything that would be worth adding before the trip. I plan for 35s and a lift once the current tires run out, but any single mod that would make the trip more fun?

Tazor JL?

2" budget boost?

Skids?

Thanks in advance!

I'll be with my wife and 3 and 1 year olds, so any trail recommendations are also also appreciated![GALLERY=]
Jeep Wrangler JL Best mod for Moab {filename}
[/GALLERY]
Sponsored

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Have a look at Lite Brite videos on You Tube, they started out with what you have and have done just fine on Moab (and Colorado) trails. With your setup you should be able to do most trails in Moab up to (but excluding) Pritchett Canyon. That’s a lot of trails.

A few of the iconic trails you’ll have no problems with (and plenty of fun): Poison Spider, Top of the World, Fins and Things, Tip Toe through Hell (short version of Hell’s Revenge). These are technical trails you’ll have a blast on and can do with your setup.
Chicken Corners is extremely scenic but not challenging. Klondike Bluffs is not technical but does have some cool dinosaur tracks (maybe 5 times the size of my size 11 boots).

When do you plan on being in Moab?

OP
OP
tyler2786

tyler2786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
That's great to hear, thanks! I was thinking I could do most stuff, but didn't want to miss out on any "one in a lifetime" trails because of a simple mod.

We'll be there in the first few days of February, so hoping for decent weather, too!

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
We'll be there in the first few days of February, so hoping for decent weather, too!
If there is significant snow, you’ll want to stick to the easier trails, especially if you’re alone.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So the Navy is moving us from the WA to VA, so we're planning 3 days in Moab on the way! I grew up with jeeps, but on the east coast, so slick rock and steps are new to me.

I've got a 2018 JLUR that is stock with a winch and was curious if there was anything that would be worth adding before the trip. I plan for 35s and a lift once the current tires run out, but any single mod that would make the trip more fun?

Tazor JL?

2" budget boost?

Skids?

Thanks in advance!

I'll be with my wife and 3 and 1 year olds, so any trail recommendations are also also appreciated![GALLERY=]
Jeep Wrangler JL Best mod for Moab {filename}
[/GALLERY]
Your Jeep is well equipped for Moab, so it really doesn't need anything. What you will need is a good spotter. A couple of FMRS walkie talkies really helps with this and I agree with @TRZ that another Jeep coming along would be essential for any of the tough trails. There is a lot you can do, though, if by yourself. Finns N Things would be high on my list. You can also sometimes meet others at the trail head for Hell's Revenge, which is right next to Finns N Things. There are many other easy trails you could do on your own that are still spectacular, like Potash Road and the Shaffer Switchbacks.

I was just there in October and had a blast, so I'm a bit jealous. Snow would make it even more fun/interesting, but again, like @TRZ said, avoid the challenging trails. You could slide right off a ledge.

Of course, we expect some pics afterward! Btw, thank you for your service!

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Throw some skids on and have fun.

Four Flusher

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, auto
Just get the guide book and AIR DOWN

OP
OP
tyler2786

tyler2786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
DanW, the weather is the big wild card we're worried about! I bet it would look awesome out there with some snow, but the wife might kill me if she feels any amount of slipping on some of those rocks:surprised:

My dad is going with us too for some time with the grandkids, so him and I might go check out some of the more challenging/fun trails on day 1, then hit some more scenic one or repeat the ones worth doing twice with the whole family.

And Four Flusher, definitely airing down! Learned that the hard way with the old CJ and some protruding roots in Uwharrie

Thanks again for all the advice so far!

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
You’re not going to need anything. It’s not like the Rubicon trail where lift is your friend.

Start at “Fins’n Things” to get a feeling to what’s in store for you and your rig. “Hell’s Revenge” and “Top of the World” are great accomplishments for your stock JLUR. Lots of stock rental JKURs run there everyday so go have fun!

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Below is a post from a FB group I belong to that implies the seriousness of snow for Moab trails.

More snow today! Things were fun but slippery on Steelbender yesterday. Today and for the next few days after this storm passes, many places will be dangerously slippery.

Route finding is very difficult right now on most of our trails, even for those of us who know them very well.

If you’re thinking of hitting the trails, be careful, go with a buddy, and make conservative choices. Shelf roads and slickrock fins and domes are risky in these conditions.

Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I was just in Moab between Christmas and New Years. Though it snowed a couple days while we were there, it didn't affect most of the trails much at all. Lots of areas don't have good cell coverage, so depending on where you go, there may not be anyone on the trail for a while. If going solo, try to stay on the popular trails mentioned above. From what you describe, I'd focus on your self-recovery equipment and know how to use it. A winch alone may not help, so it could be useful to have other things as well, such as a dead man anchor, though few places you'll be able to dig in, you may find a rock to wrap it around. Have fun!

You didn't mention that you had on-board air. If there was one thing, that would be it, so you wouldn't be reluctant to air down because of the long drive back to town to air up.

smashn

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JLU
You can fit 35s with out a lift, or get a lift and sell the stock wheels and tires for $1000+
Sponsored