Sponsored

Best method to prevent rocks getting stuck between body and rock rails?

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Just thinking outside the box here but what about temporarily removing the rail so you can spray a thin strip of white plasti dip, or rock guard down there. That way its subtle but still protects your paint since i assume you dont want the rocks grinding through to the metal?

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Caulking…. Yea. 😁
No seriously, im sure if you look hard enough, you can find a corner doorjamb/weatherstripping solution you can cut to length.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Have some of those dental pick things from Harbor Freight. Works great to pick them out of that area, as well as between the fender flares and the body too.

Sponsored

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I have found the GearClean Brush from Park Tool to be useful for removing the stuff that gets in the fender-body cracks:

Jeep Wrangler JL Best method to prevent rocks getting stuck between body and rock rails? 1628601611322

The tool is designed for cleaning mud and dirt from the rear gear cassettes on mountain and road bikes. The curved arm with teeth is tapered in thickness. When it grabs stuff, I wipe it immediately, so I don't drag the gunk along the seam and possibly scratch the paint. Available at REI and bicycle shops.

I had imagined also that shrimp-cleaning tools would work, but I couldn't find the flexible plastic one I recall seeing somewhere, someplace.

Good Luck!

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have a 2018 2 door, with Mopar side steps, a lot of debris flew through that gap. Pipe insulation is pre- slit, doesn't absorb moisture, compresses well. I loosened the side steps, rolled the insulation through the gap,then re-tightened steps . This insulation comes in different thicknesses, so finding the one that works for you should be possible

IMG_20191119_141256335_TOP_resized.jpg

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Just thinking outside the box here but what about temporarily removing the rail so you can spray a thin strip of white plasti dip, or rock guard down there. That way its subtle but still protects your paint since i assume you dont want the rocks grinding through to the metal?
A more elegant solution might be applying Xpel Paint Protection Film to the rocker between the rail. It's invisible and prevents nicks and scratches that can rust.

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
I use round 1/4" tubing between the fenders and the body. If you have enough of a gap you might consider this as an option. Cheers

Sponsored

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I didn't put any on the rock rails (I don't seem to catch many pebbles there), but I used this tubing to put between the fenders and the body to keep gravel out of those spaces:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NL4DI2E/

So far, it's working out great. I squished it in with a trim tool and it seems to be holding up well, even after long highway trips. No more picking gravel out of my fenders.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
What's the best rubber tubing or stripping to use to stop small pieces of gravel getting stuck between the body and the Rock Rail?
Jeep Wrangler JL Best method to prevent rocks getting stuck between body and rock rails? IMG_20191119_141256335_TOP_resized
remove those and add some LOD Signature Rock Sliders - those rocks will have no where to go but on the ground:)
Sponsored