Sponsored

Best method to hang JL doors in garage?

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Pushing in I would imagine should be easy. Just tape a little square of cloth at the end so it doesn’t scratch your door jam paint and gently close your door while the door check is unbolted.
That's similar to how I do it. I reinstall the bolt to the body when the arm is disconnected. This keeps me from losing the bolt and is easier than storing in the back. I then start to close the door and position the arm over the bolt and close the door fully which presses the arm in. It pops in without issue. As well, I have installed clear packing tape (thicker than most tapes) around the bolt hole on the body in case the arm contacts the body when pressing it in. To date, no issues with any scrapes or marks on the paint near the bolt.
Sponsored

11bguy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Sequoia
Great info guys! Ordered a set of ARC just for ease... why mess with something when you don’t have to. One less thing to break. I still would like to see off-road concepts make adjustments to their design to account for this.

bergantz

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black JLUS
Get the Arc door holders you'll be glad you did 40 bucks for a set it's so worth it. they go inside the window frame not on the rubber itself which can damage and put it in a indention on the rubber and then have water leak later when you put them back on. You can buy them on Amazon or Ebay orgo right to their website. Best door hangers available and don't get wheelbarrow hangers they will put indentions on your rubber seals

Screenshot_20200605-152738_Gallery.jpg

20200605_152312.jpg
Hi, I just bought the Arc door hangers for my Jeep that arrives in about 3 weeks. I wanted to install them ahead of time. From previous threads, I have read that you need to install at a height about 47 inches off the ground. How far apart do you need to install the hangers for the front doors? I plan to hang the rear doors above the two front doors. Thanks, Eric

Last edited:

RAM

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2005 LJ Rubi 6.0L LS, 2015 Z71
I kept debating how I wanted to store my doors. I really wanted the doors protected, so I ended up building a box. Ultimately it will sit on a shelf in my shed. For now it's just sitting in my garage.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best method to hang JL doors in garage? ds9
Jeep Wrangler JL Best method to hang JL doors in garage? ds12
Jeep Wrangler JL Best method to hang JL doors in garage? ds15
Jeep Wrangler JL Best method to hang JL doors in garage? ds16

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
I figured I would add to this thread, though it's old, as it's still pertinent.

I ordered and installed the ORC 4 door hanger as referenced a few times in this thread.

It does not work well with JL doors, at least my '21 JL doors (4xe, but same anyway). It was posted somewhere else that these were "pre JL" mounts that "can be used with JLs" but you have to follow a specific routine and place the doors on the holder a certain way because of the door checks. However, that's not the only part that makes this not work with JLs.

1) The spacing between the hinge pin mounting points is about 1/4"-2/3" off, which means the door rests on the mount with all the weight on the bottom hinge pin, and a 1/4"-2/3" space between the mount and the upper hinge pin. This probably isn't that big of an issue, but it leads to part of the problem in 2 below-
2) The hinge pin holder on the hanger is so close to the main bar (welded directly to bar, there is no spacer that pushes it out an inch or two), and is too tall (taller than the stock vehicle-side hinge pin holder), and as such, the doors cannot be pushed flush against the wall because the door, outside of the notch that is cut out in the door for the factory hinge pin holder, impacts the bar of the ORC hanger (and if you're not careful, you'll mar that part of the door!)

If the distance between the upper and lower mounts matched the JL distance better, and if the hinge pin holders were not so tall (or if there was a 1" space away from the bar), then this would work great for the JL doors as the bottom of the door under each hinge pin would swing UNDER the mount bar and the doors would fit well. Otherwise, they all stick out at the ends which makes them not utilize the wall space well at all because they stick out 3 feet from the wall. All in an effort to reuse an existing design for the 07-18 wrangler on the new JL. You can see on the site as well as from users themselves that when this hanger is used on older models, the doors swing flush to the wall and make this work well as a compact door mount. But on the JL, it's not a good solution.

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Had mine on the wall using the ARC mounts. Walked away and heard a loud crash behind me. The board that I had the ARCs mounted to came off the wall, bent the crap out of my door. Now I have to take that door to the body shop. Make sure your stuff is mounted well, there are no acceptations.

ungardo

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner
I figured I would add to this thread, though it's old, as it's still pertinent.

I ordered and installed the ORC 4 door hanger as referenced a few times in this thread.

It does not work well with JL doors, at least my '21 JL doors (4xe, but same anyway). It was posted somewhere else that these were "pre JL" mounts that "can be used with JLs" but you have to follow a specific routine and place the doors on the holder a certain way because of the door checks. However, that's not the only part that makes this not work with JLs.

1) The spacing between the hinge pin mounting points is about 1/4"-2/3" off, which means the door rests on the mount with all the weight on the bottom hinge pin, and a 1/4"-2/3" space between the mount and the upper hinge pin. This probably isn't that big of an issue, but it leads to part of the problem in 2 below-
2) The hinge pin holder on the hanger is so close to the main bar (welded directly to bar, there is no spacer that pushes it out an inch or two), and is too tall (taller than the stock vehicle-side hinge pin holder), and as such, the doors cannot be pushed flush against the wall because the door, outside of the notch that is cut out in the door for the factory hinge pin holder, impacts the bar of the ORC hanger (and if you're not careful, you'll mar that part of the door!)

If the distance between the upper and lower mounts matched the JL distance better, and if the hinge pin holders were not so tall (or if there was a 1" space away from the bar), then this would work great for the JL doors as the bottom of the door under each hinge pin would swing UNDER the mount bar and the doors would fit well. Otherwise, they all stick out at the ends which makes them not utilize the wall space well at all because they stick out 3 feet from the wall. All in an effort to reuse an existing design for the 07-18 wrangler on the new JL. You can see on the site as well as from users themselves that when this hanger is used on older models, the doors swing flush to the wall and make this work well as a compact door mount. But on the JL, it's not a good solution.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best method to hang JL doors in garage? IMG_0664

Did you try with mirror facing wall? Seems to work better that way

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Did you try with mirror facing wall? Seems to work better that way
Yeah, you can't even get them on that way because the door wants to angle too far back. I'd have to put two more 2x4's on the wall to get the hanger to stick out from the wall far enough to be able to put them on that way. And you still run the risk of damaging the door under the hinge pin where it hits the hanger.

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Yep the ARC door hangers are the best way to hang your doors because the door hangs inside the rubber seal and doesn't put pressure on it. If you use like a wheel barrow hanger it will put a indention on the rubber seals and can leak when you put your doors back on. They are only about $30 for a pair

20190601_215435.jpg

SlowPoke21

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Pretty simple here. Home Depot for the win. (My JK doors).

A9EC78C1-A9D3-4310-9E00-C981EC044D0A.jpeg

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
The ARC Door Hangers are really growing on me.

Does anyone have a measurement of the wall width and height needed to hang a pair of doors? It looks like the front doors are wider than the rear doors, so those are the most important but would love know both.

(Apologies for asking... I'm still waiting for my Jeep to arrive and trying to get ready now.)

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
The ARC Door Hangers are really growing on me.

Does anyone have a measurement of the wall width and height needed to hang a pair of doors? It looks like the front doors are wider than the rear doors, so those are the most important but would love know both.

(Apologies for asking... I'm still waiting for my Jeep to arrive and trying to get ready now.)
Front doors are about 37" wide, rears are about 30" wide. Give space to "work".
Sponsored