Sponsored

best locking hood latches?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Looks like the Mopar and Bolt hood locks will not be available for quite some time. I herd October /2019 for the Bolt. In the mean time I want to install some kind of locking hood latch.

Who makes the best locking hood latches for the JL? I have seen post about the Rampage locking hood latches. I have also seen a few others. Some look just like the Rampage but cost almost half. Anyone try the other locking hood latches? Any other recommendations?

https://www.amazon.com/Latches-Anti-Theft-Wrangler-Freedom-Rubicon/dp/B07FSC57RG?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_3

https://www.amazon.com/RT-TCZ-Stain...18-Unlimited/dp/B07CVW9HCS?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4

https://www.amazon.com/GOHAWKTEQ-An...--------&vehicleName=2019+Jeep+Wrangler&psc=1
Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hey Nick--slightly off topic, I'm curious where you heard about the newest of delays on the Bolt product (10/19), which I understand (maybe incorrectly) that Bolt makes for FCA in a slightly different implementation than the version Bolt will put their name on.

This must be, no exaggeration, somewhere around the 5th delay since announcing the JL hood lock. I thought the April deadline was somewhat more reliable than prior ones, but who knows!

The only thing I can think of--and I could be way off base here--as to why this is taking as long as it is is that Bolt is having issues getting their lock cylinder to automatically configure itself permanently to the JL key initially inserted into it.

I say this because I don't think the metal fabrication of the product outside of the lock is rocket science here, and MOPAR already has cylinders that allow the purchaser to configure the locks pins manually (e.g. the pricier locking gas cap.) If this is true, I wish they'd just sell a version of the lock where you set the pins manually:

I don't know the locking latch product space. Maybe it's only a workaround solution for you until the Bolt products: FCA or their own come to market. Without lock covers and the potential for freeze and seize, I worry that they mostly limit hood access to rightful owners.

Some parting/alternative thoughts. If you're already wanting to buy a JL Tazer from Z Automotive, it includes an audible hood alarm--for all the good that may (or may not) do in your locale. Unlike for the JK, locking latches often also offered better than factory latches, that also happened to lock. The JL latches seem pretty well designed.

As another option until the hood lock is sold, one poster used two of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P0WM12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Master Lock 4688D Combination Accepted Black)

I suspect a pair of shears could go through this lock's cable in no time. At best this deterrent makes your vehcile less of a target than someone else's JL.

Still more, the time has come for FCA to enter the "1960's" and put a hood unlocking mechanism, at least as a profitable option, within the interior. Keep the exterior latches for function and show. Fine by me. But add the option to make the interior latch key based (for the no doors/roof crowd) or disengaged all together so as to not disenfranchise loyalists.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I just went in today and got a refund on my Mopar hood lock set. I ordered it when we bought our Jeep, 27 Jul '18, with the understanding they would be in by Oct '18. I love the idea of having the lock keyed to the FOB, one key for everything. I just can't wait forever. Looking at the Rampage set...
https://www.amazon.com/RAMPAGE-PRODUCTS-76337-Locking-Wrangler/dp/B07CQ9SN5P/

61xWaRQHC-L._SL1500_.jpg

Edit: Just ordered the last set from Amazon. They will be here Thursday.

Last edited:

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Personally I'm waiting for Bolt to release their JL version of this - https://www.boltlock.com/locks/jk-hood-lock/jk-hood-lock-7026128
I read somewhere early 2019...

I like that one because it uses your Jeep key, no need for a separate one. Should be comparable to Mopar 82215137, but way cheaper! Not fully sold on how it looks in the grille, still contemplating.

Sponsored

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Nick--slightly off topic, I'm curious where you heard about the newest of delays on the Bolt product (10/19), which I understand (maybe incorrectly) that Bolt makes for FCA in a slightly different implementation than the version Bolt will put their name on.

This must be, no exaggeration, somewhere around the 5th delay since announcing the JL hood lock. I thought the April deadline was somewhat more reliable than prior ones, but who knows!

The only thing I can think of--and I could be way off base here--as to why this is taking as long as it is is that Bolt is having issues getting their lock cylinder to automatically configure itself permanently to the JL key initially inserted into it.

I say this because I don't think the metal fabrication of the product outside of the lock is rocket science here, and MOPAR already has cylinders that allow the purchaser to configure the locks pins manually (e.g. the pricier locking gas cap.) If this is true, I wish they'd just sell a version of the lock where you set the pins manually:

I don't know the locking latch product space. Maybe it's only a workaround solution for you until the Bolt products: FCA or their own come to market. Without lock covers and the potential for freeze and seize, I worry that they mostly limit hood access to rightful owners.

Some parting/alternative thoughts. If you're already wanting to buy a JL Tazer from Z Automotive, it includes an audible hood alarm--for all the good that may (or may not) do in your locale. Unlike for the JK, locking latches often also offered better than factory latches, that also happened to lock. The JL latches seem pretty well designed.

As another option until the hood lock is sold, one poster used two of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P0WM12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Master Lock 4688D Combination Accepted Black)

I suspect a pair of shears could go through this lock's cable in no time. At best this deterrent makes your vehcile less of a target than someone else's JL.

Still more, the time has come for FCA to enter the "1960's" and put a hood unlocking mechanism, at least as a profitable option, within the interior. Keep the exterior latches for function and show. Fine by me. But add the option to make the interior latch key based (for the no doors/roof crowd) or disengaged all together so as to not disenfranchise loyalists.
I read the 10/19 availability on the forum. I think someone called a vendor and the vendor had the delayed date? I will try looking it up.

I herd the Mopar and Bolt hood locks will include a new part for the grill where a hole has to be cut for the lock. This might be the delay?

I don't know how durable the Rampage would be here in the Chicago area with snow and rain? I ordered the Rampage as a temporary solution until the Mopar or Bolt is available.

The Tazer feature for accessing the option to have the horn honk when the hood is open sounds interesting. Why FCA did not do this from the start is the question?

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I've been using the RT-TCZ latches from Amazon for a few months and have been happy with them. Solves the problem of securing the engine bay at a reasonable cost.
IMG_0663.JPG
IMG_0669.JPG

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Why FCA did not do this from the start is the question?
Agreed. Far less expensive under the hood components--and I'm talking just factory stuff, forget about the worth of additional aftermarket wares like Dual Battery Kits, etc., have had far greater physical and audible protection in the market.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. Far less expensive under the hood components--and I'm talking just factory stuff, forget about the worth of additional aftermarket wares like Dual Battery Kits, etc., have had far greater physical and audible protection in the market.
It's insulting FCA does not include a locking hood, locking gas cap for what they are charging for these JLs.

Last edited:

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
It's insulting FCA does not include a locking hood, locking gas cap for what they are charging for these Jls.
It's further insulting that the former, even as a paid for accessory for MOPAR still remains vaporware. I'd love to understand what's really going on behind the scenes between MOPAR, Bolt Inc., their suppliers and the executives/attorneys.

Sponsored

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just thought i would follow up on locking hood latches. Rampage cost about $75. The hinge pins on the Rampage are solid steel pins locked in with cir-clips. The cheaper set basically used a cheap hollow tubes for pivot pins. The cheaper latches used a very thin metal tube that is flared at both ends like a rivet to keep them from sliding out. Anything is bette than nothing until the Mopar or Bolt locks are available.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler 2015 Renegade 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
I don’t see how the 82215137 hood lock would fit my Gladiator grill without replacing the mesh too. In my JK there is a hole for this lock, but in the JT there is not. Maybe the key would fit if aligned perfectly and flush, but got a bad feeling the mesh would need replacing too.

upload_2019-6-22_8-49-34.jpeg

JK grill with hole

upload_2019-6-22_8-50-13.jpeg

JT grill with no hole

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler 2015 Renegade 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
I don’t see how the 82215137 hood lock would fit my Gladiator grill without replacing the mesh too. In my JK there is a hole for this lock, but in the JT there is not. Maybe the key would fit if aligned perfectly and flush, but got a bad feeling the mesh would need replacing too.

upload_2019-6-22_8-49-34.jpeg

JK grill with hole

upload_2019-6-22_8-50-13.jpeg

JT grill with no hole

Quadratec is taking pre-orders and says they will start shipping 7/24. The specs say it will fit the JT, but not sure how it would clear the grill mesh with no hole. I’ve had one of these on my JK for 3 years and been happy with it because you can use the OEM key.

upload_2019-6-22_9-20-10.png
upload_2019-6-22_9-20-10.jpeg

upload_2019-6-22_9-18-5.png

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quadratec is taking pre-orders and says they will start shipping 7/24. The specs say it will fit the JT, but not sure how it would clear the grill mesh with no hole. I’ve had one of these on my JK for 3 years and been happy with it because you can use the OEM key.

upload_2019-6-22_9-20-10.png
upload_2019-6-22_9-20-10.jpeg

upload_2019-6-22_9-18-5.png
I will believe it when I see it. I have doubts 7/24 is really a ship date. The BOLT and MOPAR hood locks had the shipping dates pushed back many-many times over the last year and a half.

BOLT and MOPAR will probably have to make 2 different versions because the JL and JT have different grill patterns. The lock should come with a new grill mesh that matches the rest of the original grill. That will not solve the problem of where the lock will go for anyone who has the front mounted camera though.

I got tired of waiting for BOLT or MOPAR and bought the Rampage locking hood latches. Originally my plan was to use the Rampage locking hood latches until the MOPAR or BOLT hood lock is available. I was planning on selling the Rampage locks once the BOLT or MOPAR locks were available. My main reason for wanting the BOLT or MOPAR was the same key as my FOB. The only down side of the Rampage is not having a same key. I realize now the Rampage key is small and it's not a big deal. They are well made for what they are and do the job. Price is right also. To be honest I might just keep the Rampage and be done with it. So yeah, I guess I am pretty happy with the Rampage.