Best lightweight winch bumper within $500 budget

Gary in Okc

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL (on order) Toyota Tundra
I am sure this has been discussed a hundred times. I am looking at winch bumper options for the 2 dr Sport S that I will be picking up Tuesday. I have an older Ramsey REP 9000 winch that I had on my early Bronco. I haven't owned a Jeep since my 1985 CJ7. I want something that doesn't weigh so much as to affect handling or ride (if that is an issue), and looks good. I am keeping it simple and don't need something overly aggressive. I don't care for stubby and want full profile. My applications are hunting and trail driving in easy to moderately difficult terrain. No rock climbing or High School mudding. It will be driven 90% or more on the street. Haven't decided if I need a bull bar except it may give some brush protection. And I want this all under a budget of $500.

Bumpers I like so far
Barricade trail force
Go Rhino Rockline

suggestions on bumpers
aluminum vs steel ?
suggestions for the best online retailers
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
You said you don’t like a stubby and that’s what we have though. That said, it’s a DV8. I really like the looks and options with the bonus of incorporating the factory led fog lights. They have a great price point and I’ve been very happy with it. They have some other full profile ones that you might like as well. Another option is smittybilt has a couple sharp looking offerings

Brett

Icepak

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
I am sure this has been discussed a hundred times. I am looking at winch bumper options for the 2 dr Sport S that I will be picking up Tuesday. I have an older Ramsey REP 9000 winch that I had on my early Bronco. I haven't owned a Jeep since my 1985 CJ7. I want something that doesn't weigh so much as to affect handling or ride (if that is an issue), and looks good. I am keeping it simple and don't need something overly aggressive. I don't care for stubby and want full profile. My applications are hunting and trail driving in easy to moderately difficult terrain. No rock climbing or High School mudding. It will be driven 90% or more on the street. Haven't decided if I need a bull bar except it may give some brush protection. And I want this all under a budget of $500.

Bumpers I like so far
Barricade trail force
Go Rhino Rockline

suggestions on bumpers
aluminum vs steel ?
suggestions for the best online retailers
I’m in market for lighter bumpers too. I’ve noticed the aluminum ones are a bit more expensive.

OP
OP
Gary in Okc

Gary in Okc

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually the DV8 FS7 and FS 8 are on my potential list. I am a little concerned with their caveat "Note: Some modification may be needed to install on a JEEP JL.". And they don't list their weight. Barricade has a couple weighing in at 79 pounds. The Ramsey weighs around 90 pounds. I am going to convert it to synthetic line which will knock 5-6 pounds off.

You said you don’t like a stubby and that’s what we have though. That said, it’s a DV8. I really like the looks and options with the bonus of incorporating the factory led fog lights. They have a great price point and I’ve been very happy with it. They have some other full profile ones that you might like as well. Another option is smittybilt has a couple sharp looking offerings

Brett

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually the DV8 FS7 and FS 8 are on my potential list. I am a little concerned with their caveat "Note: Some modification may be needed to install on a JEEP JL.". And they don't list their weight. Barricade has a couple weighing in at 79 pounds. The Ramsey weighs around 90 pounds. I am going to convert it to synthetic line which will knock 5-6 pounds off.
When you’re talking +- 20lbs to me that’s nothing I worried about. Syn line does save weight along with the other advantages. Mine lined up and fit perfect and they said the same thing about it. Fit and finish we’re great as well

Brett

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gary in Okc

Gary in Okc

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you notice any handling difference after install? I am not sure if I should worry about the weight but I have heard some owners report bumper and winch combo in the 200-225 range effected handling. The Ramsey winch is well rated but is no lightweight. So would a bumper weighing 80 vs 130 and a syn-line knocking another 7-8 off help or am I worrying about a non issue?

When you’re talking +- 20lbs to me that’s nothing I worried about. Syn line does save weight along with the other advantages. Mine lined up and fit perfect and they said the same thing about it. Fit and finish we’re great as well

Brett

tonythehomie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sport S (manual / 2 door / firecracker red)
Did you notice any handling difference after install? I am not sure if I should worry about the weight but I have heard some owners report bumper and winch combo in the 200-225 range effected handling. The Ramsey winch is well rated but is no lightweight. So would a bumper weighing 80 vs 130 and a syn-line knocking another 7-8 off help or am I worrying about a non issue?

Hey kind of in a smilar spot as you right now. I have the 85lbs artec industries steel stubby installed now and that adds about 50lbs give or take from the stock vehicle weight. Right now it rides great, however I’m not sure what the addition of a winch is goijg to do. That being said, I doubt you’re really going to see a difference using steel vs synthetic line. May help with MPG a tiny bit and it certainly is safer but it seems negligible for a 4,000 lb vehicle to be effected by that.

With that said, I’m still considering getting some levelers to help with front end sag once i mount a winch.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I brought our Jeep home with 37s on my car hauler. Went straight into the shop and got the bumper installed with 2 miles on it. I don’t know how it drove stock but its rock solid now. There pic in my build thread. Links is in my sig. fs-15 and x20 10k with syn line. Probably in the 150lb range. Used a gantry crane to install it so never picked it up

Brett

OP
OP
Gary in Okc

Gary in Okc

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More concerned with sag which in turn may lead to negative handling than MPG. I run 85' syn-line. With an aluminum fairlead and syn vs steel cable the weight savings runs around 15-20 pounds. Weight savings was not even considered when switching to syn-line, just added bonus. I guess I should have asked if some type leveler or other suspension modification is going to be needed. And where does that kick in? 50 pounds-100-150-200?

Hey kind of in a smilar spot as you right now. I have the 85lbs artec industries steel stubby installed now and that adds about 50lbs give or take from the stock vehicle weight. Right now it rides great, however I’m not sure what the addition of a winch is goijg to do. That being said, I doubt you’re really going to see a difference using steel vs synthetic line. May help with MPG a tiny bit and it certainly is safer but it seems negligible for a 4,000 lb vehicle to be effected by that.

With that said, I’m still considering getting some levelers to help with front end sag once i mount a winch.

tonythehomie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sport S (manual / 2 door / firecracker red)
More concerned with sag which in turn may lead to negative handling than MPG. I run 85' syn-line. With an aluminum fairlead and syn vs steel cable the weight savings runs around 15-20 pounds. Weight savings was not even considered when switching to syn-line, just added bonus. I guess I should have asked if some type leveler or other suspension modification is going to be needed. And where does that kick in? 50 pounds-100-150-200?

Gotcha. Yeah that was and is my biggest concern. For what its worth, I have no noticeable sag on my jeep, although, I unfortunately forgot to take measurements before installing it. I am just gonna do a 1” leveler at some point once i put the winch on in order to help any issues

Sponsored

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
adding 200lbs outside the wheelbase WILL affect braking and handling. it isnt the same as just putting an extra guy in the back seat.
all that weight hanging way out front will give longer stop times and negatively alter steering at the limits.
normal day to day driving you probably wont even notice it, but it will be there.
that being said, real, made in USA full aluminum bumpers are EXPENSIVE.
so, you have to figure out the tradeoff between weight vs cost and what best suits your situation.

OP
OP
Gary in Okc

Gary in Okc

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't see the Barricade aluminum. Must have overlooked it. 54 pounds isn't bad. That with syn-line on the Ramsey should put me in the neighborhood of 140 - 150

I have read some guys put Rubicon front springs to help with sag. I never worried about this crap when I was young. Now I realize everything I want to do (which isn't much) has a 4-6 step cause and effect.

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the barricade is sort of a hybrid alloy bumper. the 'working' part between the frame rails is steel, the outer 'skin' is aluminum.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Might I suggest the Jeep steel bumper? You can pick up one cheap and for a steel bumper, it’s reasonably light (I’m not sure the exact weight).
Sponsored