Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
how is the driving/performance of the Rubi take off as compared to going with an RK Adventure Series 1? The Rubi take-off would not do anything to my trackbars or control arms. How do the Rubi Shocks compare to Fox IPF or even the Rocksports from MC. I do agree its the cheapest option by far and leaves plenty of money left over for aftermarket fenders and other possible components.

If I go with a Spacer lift what are the "critical" components you would recommend being swapped? Shocks, LCA's, trackbar (or relocation brackets), SB links?
Rubi suspension would be much better than going spacers. You will not only get a mild lift but increased articulation.

The rubicon has all same components as the sport. So you dont need to change anything else, since the lift if very moderate you should be fine. Using longer mopar LCAs which cost only about $70 in parts will improve your caster.

The rubicon shocks are better than the sport. But inferior than most aftermarket options.

All other lifts proposed here are better than the rubicon, you will get better articulation and shocks at the expense of a higher center of gravity and going further than stock feel due to the increased height.

It all depends what you need/want. If I was ever gonna add the extra weight of 35s considering all the downsides of oversized tires, I would regear, go with a proper lift, bigger brakes and even consider axle swaps on a sport. But to each their own. Do your research on the pros and cons of running 35s.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

DARAMOS

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimted Sport
also thank you ALL for your excellent advice! I truly appreciate you taking the time to help me better understand my options and make the best choice to suit my needs.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
how is the driving/performance of the Rubi take off as compared to going with an RK Adventure Series 1? The Rubi take-off would not do anything to my trackbars or control arms. How do the Rubi Shocks compare to Fox IPF or even the Rocksports from MC. I do agree its the cheapest option by far and leaves plenty of money left over for aftermarket fenders and other possible components.

If I go with a Spacer lift what are the "critical" components you would recommend being swapped? Shocks, LCA's, trackbar (or relocation brackets), SB links?
My 2018 JLUR is on a 2.5" RK lift with Fox 2.0 IFP shocks. I think it rides better than the stock Rubicon suspension. It is firmer, but not as harsh/jarring if that makes sense.

OP
OP

DARAMOS

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimted Sport
So just to close the loop on this thread. I ended up going with the MC 2.5" True Dual kit. Looking to get it installed sometime next week.

Thanks to all for the feedback and responses.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
So just to close the loop on this thread. I ended up going with the MC 2.5" True Dual kit. Looking to get it installed sometime next week.

Great choice! Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Sponsored

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Some long posts here so may be repeating but I went spacer with a spacer lift. I am running BFG KOS2 315/70/17s on 4.75 in backspace wheels and Teraflex 2””front 1.5”rear with the included bump stops up front. Looks awesome, easy, cheap, rides better than stock (with the new tires)Plenty of clearance

68A931C2-402E-4227-BA6B-515A514220D7.jpeg

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Some long posts here so may be repeating but I went spacer with a spacer lift. I am running BFG KOS2 315/70/17s on 4.75 in backspace wheels and Teraflex 2””front 1.5”rear with the included bump stops up front. Looks awesome, easy, cheap, rides better than stock (with the new tires)Plenty of clearance

68A931C2-402E-4227-BA6B-515A514220D7.jpeg
How can it ride better? higher center of gravity, same shocks and springs, and bigger tires. How is that possible?.

It definitely looks better!

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase

Great to hear, looking forward to hearing how you like it

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
How can it ride better? higher center of gravity, same shocks and springs, and bigger tires. How is that possible?.

It definitely looks better!
Rides better do to tires themselves. Smoother less bumpy in my opinion.

ppfingsten

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Are all these 2.5 lifts based on an additional 2.5 for a Rubicon? So a sport would net approx 4 inches of lift from the 2.5 kits? Hard to really find any definitive answer.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Are all these 2.5 lifts based on an additional 2.5 for a Rubicon? So a sport would net approx 4 inches of lift from the 2.5 kits? Hard to really find any definitive answer.
Yeah. If the lift kit doesnt specify rubicon or sport, expect to get at least that if not more!. These lift kits tend to be designed for a fully loaded Jeep (bumpers, winch, skid plates) so they will really lift a stock sport with plastic bumpers.

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
Below are the "total cost" of the lift mentioned above. The two RK's are the most economical but less complete than Clayton and MC.

I would be interested to know the components you choose when making the DIY build kit.

Which control arm, track bar, sway bar, shocks, spacer kit did you choose?

For caster and both on/off-road performance is a LC or UC arm preferred in the front. Same kinda question with the rear track bar, is a relocation bracket ok, or do I lose out a lot on performance (on or off-road)?

Control ArmTrack BarSway BarLinksShocksSpringsCostTOTAL
CLAYTONUC ArmsF & R AdjF & R Adj555*Yes$1,300
$1,855​
RK STOCK MODLC Arms +275F Adj & R ReloF Only555*Yes$820
$1,650​
RK ADV SER 1LC ArmsF Adj & R ReloF Only555*Yes$1,087
$1,642​
MC TRUE DUALUC ArmsF & R AdjF & R AdjYesYes$1,800
$1,800​
Looking for lifts as well, came across this, but the MC price leaves out the new drive shaft they recommend. All of a sudden that lift kit is about $2700

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
yep, looks like you went over $1500. Please update a total $ accounting for those looking at lifts. Folks often miss that a lot of lifts are incomplete.
Sponsored