zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
For the money I saved on my Sport S with just options of the 2.0 turbo w/ auto, dual top, and tow pkg, I couldn’t be happier. I went with the Sport S because I wanted power doors, windows and my wife needed an auto and tow pkg was a must for me as I tow a small 14’ boat (which the 2.0 is fantastic!).

I DD mine 35 miles each way to work and love it. Top down, smooth ride (for a Jeep) ride, and 20+ mpg... way more than I expected.

If you don’t intend to take it seriously wheeling, why pay the extra $$$ for a Rubi? Maybe for looks, bragging rights, resale... but do you need it? Do you have the $ to spend on a Rubi? If so, great, do it. I don’t think you’d regret it.
The Rubis are way more capable than you’d think and they do come with that “awe” factor. But do you need all that and want to pay for it?

I am currently upgrading my stock sound system 5” non alpine as the base system in the Sis lacking so maybe consider the alpine upgrade if you like quality sound, especially with the top down.

If you are fine with cloth seats, basic sound system, not many creature comforts, the Sport S should do fine.
My $0.02.
I wanted cloth seats since I have two large dogs and they love the space in the rear of my JLU Sport S with the Smittybilt rear cover. My wife and I take them out with us all the time.

I didn't want to spend $12k plus when I wasn't planning on doing any serious off roading. I have gone offroading on what I thought was a decent trail but my buddy told me it was a beginner trail lol.

I would get the JLU Sport S, get the options you want. My wife just wanted the Electric windows and the 7" uconnect with the rear backup camera. We would have liked the safety package and also the cold weather group but couldn't find a good deal with those added.

I upgraded the wheels and put on 35s. Added the rubicon lift, I also recommend added a spacer lift since you will rub the fenders when offroading. Did a few suspension upgrades and now I am planning on changing out the sound system. I put a few thousand into it and it is great, I have no complaints and I don't really mind that I didn't get a Rubicon. I am actually surprised at how smooth the ride is with the new wheels and 35" tires.
Sponsored

Ray Pezzi

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Hello everyone,
I will be using my wrangler as a DD, about 20 miles each way. Mostly Road use; occasional trail type offroading/overland use.
Debating sport vs Sahara vs Rubicon. I don’t want to have to modify other than lift/wheels.
Thanks in advance!
BigJer
Well, it was an easy choice for me. I live where it snows - A LOT. (200" a couple of years ago, 265" a few years before that.) The Sahara is the only Wrangler model with the option of the Selec Trac automatic 4wd system. After driving a Toyota Tacoma for 6 years and worrying about shifting out of 4wd every time I saw dry pavement and shifting back in when I saw snow and ice ahead, it's awfully nice to have the machine do the work for me. The Sahara is very pleasant to drive, much nicer than my old Tacoma. I **DO** miss having a truck and I'd probably buy a Gladiator if they offered Selec Trac as an option there.

chilly_one

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara; Granite Metallic
I have a 2020 JLU Sahara with the all-terrain tires as my daily driver. Could not be happier with my jeep. Not a big off-roader, but will be taking it out on the beaches of the Outer Banks, whenever we're down there. Everyone who has ridden in it has been impressed with the ride/comfort of it, especially some of my friends with older jeeps. Absolutely no complaints with it as my daily driver.

IMG_5007.jpg

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it was an easy choice for me. I live where it snows - A LOT. (200" a couple of years ago, 265" a few years before that.) The Sahara is the only Wrangler model with the option of the Selec Trac automatic 4wd system. After driving a Toyota Tacoma for 6 years and worrying about shifting out of 4wd every time I saw dry pavement and shifting back in when I saw snow and ice ahead, it's awfully nice to have the machine do the work for me. The Sahara is very pleasant to drive, much nicer than my old Tacoma. I **DO** miss having a truck and I'd probably buy a Gladiator if they offered Selec Trac as an option there.
I traded my 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road for a 2018 JL Sahara. Tacoma’s 6-speed automatic transmission was absolutely awful, and I could never find a comfortable driving position in those seats. Don’t miss that truck one bit.

Jeep’s 8-speed automatic, on the other hand, is one of the most responsive, smoothest, I have ever driven.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I think it will depend on the must have options for you. If there are few the Sport S will do a fine job for your usage. I'm one that has grown accustom to things like heated seats, nice stereo, leather, reverse sensors, etc. Oh, and now with the heated steering wheel on mine, this has become a must have option also. :) If you like options go with the Sahara. I've been very happy with my Sahara, and all of those niceties that came with that trim level. As others have said the Rubicon would be much more than you need. Of course if you have to have a Rubi, that's a different story. My stock Sahara is more off road capable than I'll ever be. Good luck on your decision.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best JLU trim for daily driver? 100_4889.JPG

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
If you are mostly using this for a daily driver, don't waste the money of the overpriced trim packages. Just order a sport with the options you need and be done with it. You will still have a very capable 4x4 Jeep that will take you most anywhere off road and save a ton of money. Having said that, I am on my 3rd Rubicon, only ever needed to use the lockers once but the hood is much cooler looking than the stock one but not worth the exta $20K the Rubicon cost me.

I saw a sport the other day with Rubicon take off rims and aftermarket Rubicon stickers on the hood. What a looser.

sdiver68

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4XE, Tesla M3LR, Nissan Sentra
Occupation
Management Consultant/Small Business Owner
I think it will depend on the must have options for you. If there are few the Sport S will do a fine job for your usage. I'm one that has grown accustom to things like heated seats, nice stereo, leather, reverse sensors, etc. Oh, and now with the heated steering wheel on mine, this has become a must have option also.
I have all those things on a Sport S, well except for the leather seats. Could add leather if wanted.

Honestly, only Selec-Trac or Rubi features would steer me to those models.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
Hello everyone,
I will be using my wrangler as a DD, about 20 miles each way. Mostly Road use; occasional trail type offroading/overland use.
Debating sport vs Sahara vs Rubicon. I don’t want to have to modify other than lift/wheels.
Thanks in advance!
BigJer
The Sahara Loaded. I love mine. I got a solid platform To expand on.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
I have to agree with those who feel that the Sahara would be the choice for a DD. If you aren't going to be doing any "hardcore" off roading, no sense in getting the Rubicon and paying the extra money for features you don't need. I have a Sahara and a Rubicon, the Rubi is my off road Jeep and the Sahara is my daily driver/"country club" Jeep ;)

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the process of building up my JLUR for rock crawling. Not a fan of mud and sand. I work 6 days a week and live where off roading is illegal. During my winter off season is my only time of year that I have the chance to travel out of state and explore the limits of my ride. The rest of the year it's my daily driver.

In factory form, it drove comfortable and without issue. After all the upgrades to the steering and suspension, it drives and handles way better than the day it showed up at the dealer.

But, to each their own. We all have different intentions of use and definitions of comfort.
1590247435754.jpg
Resized_20200424_182550.jpeg

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone,
Thanks in advance!
BigJer
I love commuting in the Rubicon, but honestly, all of them would be great. I love commuting in my old 08 JK Rubicon, but any of the JL's blow it away for comfort, ride, etc.

I think the best compromise might be the Sahara with Selectrac, due to its all wheel drive capability on road when snow/ice are patchy. You won't have to keep putting it in and out of 4wd. The T-case locks for off-road, so it won't give anything up there, either.

Honestly, the most fun to me would be a 2 door Sport. They are so light that they will have more power than the 4 doors or others. The quickest of all the Jeeps, indlucing CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, or JL, is the 2 door sport 3.6 manual combo. I'd bet the turbo is right there, too. It could be even quicker, but I don't think ayone has published a 2 door turbo Sport test run.

That's just my 2 cents. Btw, if off-roading includes situations where you might get stuck, get the anti-slip or whatever they call it, rear in the Sport or Sahara. The Rubi has lockers that take it to a whole different level, but really any of them are outstanding off-road.

Final thought....If you don't want to spend the time/effort lifting and tire shopping, just go with a Rubi. Out of the box they are hard core. 33's do just fine. I have run 33's on my JKUR for years, including Moab. It has a 2" lift, but the JL Rubi, bone stock, is right where the JK is with that lift. That JK has done Moab, Windrock in Tennessee, and many, many other places in its 13 years and it has been a beast.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Any model that does not have MT tires. MT tires are too loud.

I own a '19 JLR 2.0 totally stock and it's my daily driver. The K02s are execellent. Would do it again.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Any model that does not have MT tires. MT tires are too loud.

I own a '19 JLR 2.0 totally stock and it's my daily driver. The K02s are execellent. Would do it again.
I have the 35" Milestar Patagonia MTs and I don't think they are loud at all, and my other car before the Jeep is a chevy volt. I drive with the windows down 95% of the time and I don't notice tire noise or the tire noise is just something that doesn't bother me.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i have a 2 door sport as my daily driver / road tripper and i love it. i love going back to the base model trim with manual lock / window, etc. i'm not into all the bells and whistles and apperance package. i'm one that want functions over luxury. then mod it to my liking.
Sponsored