Sponsored

Best JLU trim for daily driver?

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If money is not an issue, I suggest getting the Rubicon and leaving it stock. Comes stock with a lift and bigger all terrain tires.
Personally, my taste for modding has diminished over the years, and I think the Rubicon's stance comes perfect as is, so that's what I hope to get soon.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If money is not an issue, I suggest getting the Rubicon and leaving it stock. Comes stock with a lift and bigger all terrain tires.
Personally, my taste for modding has diminished over the years, and I think the Rubicon's stance comes perfect as is, so that's what I hope to get soon.
I too have lost my appetite for modding my Jeeps. Partly because I found every time I got a new Wrangler how much better it drove, rode and handled in stock form than my prior one, which I had invariably lifted and/or put bigger tires on. Partly because FCA and its dealers make it such a pain every time I have to have warranty work done.

But I got a Sahara this time; I don’t quite like Rubicon’s high fenders. JLU Sahara comes from the factory with 0.5-inch greater clearance than my JKUR Recon had stock, and it drives and rides so much better. I put a set of 275/70R18 ATs (a.k.a. 33”), and it looks and drives absolutely perfect. In fact, my JLU Sahara with stock suspension and 33” tires sits as high as my JKUR Recon did with a 2.5” lift and 35” tires.

I am very happy with my stock Sahara and 33” tires: it looks, drives and rides perfect, and still has 11+ inches of ground clearance
Jeep Wrangler JL Best JLU trim for daily driver? 1590761092572

sdiver68

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4XE, Tesla M3LR, Nissan Sentra
Occupation
Management Consultant/Small Business Owner
I ended up with a well optioned Sport S with the Sun and Sound package and a few other add-ons like Tech, CWP, Convenience, etc..

It was debate against Sahara North Edition but in the end, for us, the Sky Top won out over Selec-Trac for the same money (MSRP around $44k).

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
How much extra money do you have? Go fully loaded rubicon with 2” mopar lift and 35” tires. Perfect for me. Heated seats and steering will - lockers - sway bar disconnect - perfect function and cool look - rubicon hood is cool

EA099015-4B6F-4141-A88A-B93402C7C890.jpeg

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
If you like the Rubicon’s more aggressive look, prefer not to mod a lot, and just want the amazing stock capability, get the Rubicon. It is a great daily driver. Of course, in the snow, the Sahara with full time AWD is a terrific choice too.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
You will be just fine with the Sahara (and it'll ride nicer and get better gas mileage), but a base Rubicon will hold it's value better.

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I went Rubicon because I didn't want/ need to mod it, it looked cooler with the upgraded hood/bumpers, and I didn't want to deal with Rubi envy every time I saw one on the road.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You will be just fine with the Sahara (and it'll ride nicer and get better gas mileage), but a base Rubicon will hold it's value better.
There is no evidence of this; it is an ongoing online myth,

NADA and Kelly Blue Book show negligible difference in resale/trade-in value across all three major Wrangler trim levels.

My personal experience trading in/selling privately both Rubicons and Saharas over the years confirms this. In fact, of 8 prior Wranglers, both Saharas and Rubicons, the single worst resale I ever go was on my fully-equipped 2018 JKU Rubicon Recon: in one year it lost 20% of its value relative to purchase price, or 30% of its value relative to MSRP.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I would totally agree but if you get a JLUR, I wish I would have drove it off the lot with 35's already on though. After 1 yr, I just put 35's on and let me tell you it drives so much better! steering just feels more firm with those taller/wider tire. I DD mine and she sees the dirt/minor rocks 2-3 times/month. I probably would be on 37's now if I would have done this. but for now I'm happy with the 35's and soon to be 2" lift that's waiting in the garage.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

NADA and Kelly Blue Book show negligible difference in resale/trade-in value across all three major Wrangler trim levels.

My personal experience trading in/selling privately both Rubicons and Saharas over the years confirms this. In fact, of 8 prior Wranglers, both Saharas and Rubicons, the single worst resale I ever go was on my fully-equipped 2018 JKU Rubicon Recon: in one year it lost 20% of its value relative to purchase price, or 30% of its value relative to MSRP.
edit: after reading my post a few times -- I think that it really just comes down to options. You use the 2018 as an example but that's an outlier for a lot of reasons -- just like me selling a Rubicon back to the dealer for the same price I paid two years prior is an outlier for many reasons.

I don't trust KBB/Nada. There's never been a single transaction where it was close except for a nearly brand new vehicle (< 3 years old). But I do like to stick to data available.

Chrysler put the residual value lower on a Rubicon than Sahara. They expect higher MSRP vehicles to hold value less overall. It's really easy to option one to the moon now. Probably also why Sport S was put to 71% Residual.

So yeah, YMMV. My experience was the opposite of yours (with all six vehicles) but besides my wife's prior Sahara, I never owned one with many options. It was always low options (<10% of MSRP). Also, the Rubicons sold far faster. This new one I leased, but only because I checked all the boxes.

Last edited:

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red

Traditionally the more expensive vehicles, the ones with the most options, would depreciate the fastest.
In my Jeep research over the past few months I've found that a low end 2018 might be listed at $30k and similar new models are advertised at around $36k. I've seen used 2018 Rubicons listed for $40k and people claim they have bought new ones for just under $50k. Those figures show a little higher percentage of depreciation for the Rubicon but these figures are also very approximate.

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
The Sahara is meant to be the on road, comfort model... Just look at the all season tires. The trim level also lends itself to more luxury and the option of AWD means that you don't even have to bother manually shifting into 4 low or 4 high. Sure, you can drive any one of the models as a DD. But it really depends on what you expect from your DD.
Personally, I got an Unlimited Sport S and just built it up over time: 3.5" lift, 35" tires, stubby front bumper, winch, aftermarket lights and auxiliary lights, etc. I like the rough ride of the Jeep: every drive is an adventure whether going to work or going to the trail.
I'm not all about the creature comforts because for me, the more electronics and computer controlled automatic transmissions and automatic climate controls and automatic transfer cases you have, the more that can go wrong. That's why I traded in my 2016 JKUS.
I drive over 20 miles each way in LA traffic and row my own gears and I love it!
In the end, drive what you want and enjoy the hell out of it.

Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7
For the money I saved on my Sport S with just options of the 2.0 turbo w/ auto, dual top, and tow pkg, I couldn’t be happier. I went with the Sport S because I wanted power doors, windows and my wife needed an auto and tow pkg was a must for me as I tow a small 14’ boat (which the 2.0 is fantastic!).

I DD mine 35 miles each way to work and love it. Top down, smooth ride (for a Jeep) ride, and 20+ mpg... way more than I expected.

But I’m coming from a mostly stock 85 CJ7 weekend toy and a highly modified XJ off-road beater on 38.5” swampers (wasn’t much left stock on that). So my JLU is a HUGE improvement in on-road manners. I drove a slightly used 2016 JKUR right before I test drove my JLU Sport S and no comparison. Since I knew I was going to DD mine 90% of time, even the JLU Sport S was leaps and bounds over the JKU Rubi.

I snagged my JLU (2018 leftover model) a year ago yesterday. It was all I wanted with nothing more and paid $9k under MSRP. Couldn’t pass it up. Would I have preferred a Rubi... absolutely, but I couldn’t touch one for less than $20k more than I paid for my Sport S and just couldn’t justify it.

Really depends on what’s important to you.

If you don’t intend to take it seriously wheeling, why pay the extra $$$ for a Rubi? Maybe for looks, bragging rights, resale... but do you need it? Do you have the $ to spend on a Rubi? If so, great, do it. I don’t think you’d regret it.
The Rubis are way more capable than you’d think and they do come with that “awe” factor. But do you need all that and want to pay for it?

If you want comforts, go with the Sahara, they have the nice amenities.

You didn’t mention what the minimums you do want? Leather, premium sound system, winter pkg with heated seats, remote start, etc. Then go with Sahara.

I am currently upgrading my stock sound system 5” non alpine as the base system in the Sis lacking so maybe consider the alpine upgrade if you like quality sound, especially with the top down.

If you are fine with cloth seats, basic sound system, not many creature comforts, the Sport S should do fine.
My $0.02.
Sponsored