bigjer25

First Name
BigJer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Durango Citadel
Hello everyone,
I will be using my wrangler as a DD, about 20 miles each way. Mostly Road use; occasional trail type offroading/overland use.
Debating sport vs Sahara vs Rubicon. I don’t want to have to modify other than lift/wheels.
Thanks in advance!
BigJer
Sponsored

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
That sounds like my Sahara, but any trim will work. I'm coming up to a year of ownership and still find myself looking at it thinking how awesome it drives for a "Jeep". My wife even likes it for road trips. 2018 Sahara 2.0 premium soft top bare bones model ya it could use a few options but it's a great vehicle as is.

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
I daily drove my Rubicon and just love it - it may not be the smoothest/poshest ride for some, but it’s a blast to drive and my kids love it!

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
My DD is a 2020 JLUS. My wife’s DD is a 2020 JLUR. Love both. I get better gas mileage (both are the turbo) and smoother ride. Hers is more fun. She commented one day that I must love the weekends. When I asked her why, she said “because you get to drive the Rubi”.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I have a 2 door Sport S. Fantastic turning circle! Soooo easy to park in a tight spot!

Sponsored

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
First time Jeeper here coming from diving full size SUVs, last one was an Infinity QX60. I love my 2020 JLUR, a few people tried to convince me that the tires are too big and they grip the road and you wont like the experience. Didnt listen to that chin music and pulled the trigger. As a DD the Rubi is an excellent choice. But everyone has their own opinion.

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Depends on how large a lift and tires you are considering longer term. I had the same debate - Sahara vs Rubicon. At the end of the day by the time I put a decent lift and new tires/rims on a Sahara I was already pretty near the price of a Rubicon, so ended up just buying a Rubicon.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I would buy what you can afford based on must have options.
I have Sahara( wife's) and Rubicon. Did the Sahara for Select trac t-case if down the road for winter use, she wouldnt have to be shifting in/out of 4 PT. I didnt care so got the Rubicon.
Both are great for any driving on road.

My must haves were CWG, Alpine LED, TT and Safety Group for the Blind spot. Also get the color you want.

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I have a Sahara JLU and the ride is smooth as butter. I’m certain the others are one in the same more or less. Definitely better than my previous lifted JK 2 door.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I bought an '18 Unlimited Sport S, V6/6MT and it's a perfectly fine commuter IMO. I know the Sahara offers a few more features like a better infotainment out of the box and color-matched fenders as an option, but really the only two options I wish I had were the 7" infotainment to get Car Play and the Cold Weather Package because heated steering wheels are amazing. I drive about 55 miles round trip on the highways and am averaging like 22.3 mpg with the stock Michelins. For a big yellow brick, that's pretty good.

My other cars are a top-trim Forester and a top-trim Mazda3 and I actually don't miss the leather at all - like I said, the only things I miss are the convenience of Car Play from my Mazda and the heated seats/wheels from both other cars.

What are you looking for in your commuter? If you want safety systems that'll add a lot of $$$, etc. Options on these vehicles add up very quickly...

Sponsored

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Given your description of use, I would say Sahara, better options included in price, selectrac transfer case. Make sure you get the upgraded alpine sound system and led lights. Oh, and soft top for max fun!

Rubicon is way more expensive due to the off road options you would likely not use.

Cyclrder

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKU Rubicon, S213E63S, 997.2TTMT
Avoid the Rubicon.... a standard Sahara will be more enjoyable in the long run... one of the winter additions will get you more aggressive tires and sometimes an electronic rear diff that works automatically in the background.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
The Sport, Sport S and Sahara probably all ride the same. I doubt if there is that much difference with the Rubicon and a lot of people seem to buy them for DD, never intending to take them offroad. If you're interested in comfort then Wrangler is not the best choice anyway, my wife took a short ride in a new Wrangler and compared to her Acadia she called it "bouncy" and noticed a lot of wind noise. In that particular car you couldn't really listen to the radio although conversation between the 2 of us wasn't a problem. If you are really trying to select a Wrangler for DD then the Sahara is probably the best choice because it has the best pavement-oriented content. People gravitate towards the Rubicon because it is one of the most expensive but if you are DD only and never going offroad then you aren't using the content that you paid an extra $10K for.

ForeOSU

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU
I have about 1,100 miles on my Sport S with the all season tires. Very smooth riding for my 25-mile highway commute. Averaging about 21 MPG so far with my 3.6L with a lot of mixed driving. I suspect it'll average out to about 23-24 highway MPG after its officially broken in. I have the premium soft top and have no issues with wind noise. Don't regret getting it for a DD at all.
Sponsored