Sponsored

Best JL front steering mods, non lifted?

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
OK, I just added the mopar 2 inch lift LCAs and achieved dramatically better steering results.

I am thinking longer term, besides the crazy expensive ball joints from Dynatrac I want, what other best in class long term solid front end components do you use? Thinking long term.

I have used Dynatrac and will again, metalcloak and terraflex. Best being metalckoak. Problem is most are for 2 plus lift, none are for stock ride height.
Sponsored

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
RockJock chromoly front adjustable track bar with a Synergy front track bar / sector shaft frame brace.

The RockJock® Johnny Joint® Adjustable Length Front Trac Bar features precise bends for a perfect fit into the Jeep JL Wrangler and JT Gladiator vehicles. This bar can be used on a stock JL/JT, on a JL/JT with our Off Road Suspension System, or anything in between!

Adjustment Range:

• Closed – 33.234”
  • Extended – 34.750”

Last edited:
OP
OP
azjl#3

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
thank you

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar 2" lift is an incomplete setup. Your axles are not fully centered after the lift. You should consider adding adjustable trackbars (front and rear) as the next step in suspension upgrades. I use metalcloak trackbars.

Get an alignment done after trackbars are installed - you will notice you have a better toe. But you will see that the caster is crappy (if you are rubicon, it might not be 5 degrees even after Mopar longer LCA). At this point, you should consider installing adjustable lower control arms. Metalcloack and Teraflex ones have a more pronounced inward bend that helps with large tire clearances at full lock.

After these two additions it's basically done for most folks. this is where the hard-core rock crawlers start to diverge from overlanders. Stronger tierods, ball joints etc can help you if you are doing a lot of off-road trails regularly.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
OK, I just added the mopar 2 inch lift LCAs and achieved dramatically better steering results.

I am thinking longer term, besides the crazy expensive ball joints from Dynatrac I want, what other best in class long term solid front end components do you use? Thinking long term.

I have used Dynatrac and will again, metalcloak and terraflex. Best being metalckoak. Problem is most are for 2 plus lift, none are for stock ride height.
Metalcloak makes a track bar brace and a sector shaft brace, which I like the design of better than other options (it distributes load to a different part of the frame). Both are supposed to work with no lift.
https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-front-track-bar-reinforcement-bracket.html
https://metalcloak.com/sector-shaft-brace-jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator.html

Consider adjusting your steering box also:

Mopar 2" lift is an incomplete setup. Your axles are not fully centered after the lift. You should consider adding adjustable trackbars (front and rear) as the next step in suspension upgrades. I use metalcloak trackbars.
OP didn't lift.

Sponsored

OP
OP
azjl#3

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR

Get an alignment done after trackbars are installed - you will notice you have a better toe. But you will see that the caster is crappy (if you are rubicon, it might not be 5 degrees even after Mopar longer LCA). At this point, you should consider installing adjustable lower control arms. Metalcloack and Teraflex ones have a more pronounced inward bend that helps with large tire clearances at full lock.

After these two additions it's basically done for most folks. this is where the hard-core rock crawlers start to diverge from overlanders. Stronger tierods, ball joints etc can help you if you are doing a lot of off-road trails regularly.
Yeah, thanks, I have stock ride height, so I'm only using the 2 inch lift lower control arms, amazingly on $40 per side. That made all the difference with just that mod on a stock ruby JL

OP
OP
azjl#3

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
RockJock chromoly front adjustable track bar with a Synergy front track bar / sector shaft frame brace.
I asked synergy about stock JL, they said need to cut the bump stop if thats the only add, but if I use the synergy bar as well, no mod to bump stop.

Both the metalcloak and synergy look like winners.

Thinking of just saving the pennies and dropping for a complete synergy tie rod drag link etc setup. But at least now I don't hate driving the JL and thinking of what to trade it in on.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Try dropping the tire pressure to around 30 PSI. If you like it, the TPMS can be reprogrammed to match with Jscan (and an OBDII dongle, and a security bypass cable).

I'm not convinced that the track bar & drag link upgrade will do much on a stock Rubicon, and I really don't see the use in an upgraded tierod. Maybe someone else can comment on their effectiveness at stock height/tires.

OP
OP
azjl#3

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
Yeah I tried lower pressure, I think it drives best at 34, even though best contact patch is around 26-28psi, which is very draggy on accel.

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
Good post. Before I change anything I thought I read that the steering is electronic? I drove my old BMW before I sold it the other day and I could feel every bump and crack in the road especially in corners. Drove my Jeep the next day, nothing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
azjl#3

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
electronically/computer controlled, still hydraulic power but electric pump.

mysto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2 door JL Rubicon
The RockJock trackbar requires a lift as far as I know, too long for stock rubicon.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
The RockJock trackbar requires a lift as far as I know, too long for stock rubicon.
See below-

Adjustment Range:

• Closed – 33.234”
  • Extended – 34.750”
The RockJock® Johnny Joint® Adjustable Length Front Trac Bar features precise bends for a perfect fit into the Jeep JL Wrangler and JT Gladiator vehicles. This bar can be used on a stock JL/JT, on a JL/JT with our Off Road Suspension System, or anything in between!

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
Could someone explain to me just what the basic problem is? My 2020 2 door is edgy but tracks well and I have adjusted to the vehicle. I sure don’t think I have any issues, but then maybe I got. Good one?

My driving experience is greater than most folks due to my military time as well as my automotive technician time. Driven so many different vehicles from Bomb Lift Trucks all the way up to 18 Wheelers. So I feel I still adjust to the vehicle in a very quick manner. This is something I’ve tried to pass along to my two teenager Grand Kids. My grandson was amazed at the difference in driving the Jeep was when compared to his fairly new Mazda 3 with a stick.

mysto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2 door JL Rubicon
See below-

Adjustment Range:

• Closed – 33.234”
  • Extended – 34.750”
Ah thanks for setting me straight. I don't know how I missed that, it's just what I'm looking for.
Sponsored