First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Hey guys,
I'm a newbie.
I'm looking for the best Jeep for rock crawling the most difficult trails in Moab.
I know I will need to do a lot of modifications no matter what I get, but I want to know which Jeep is best to start with.
Also, please list the most important modifications I will need to do for these kind of trails.

Much appreciated.

Dan Castro
Durango, Colorado
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Assuming you're talking JL, I'd start with a Rubicon. Add a quality lift from metalcloak, rock krawler, or Clayton in the 3-3.5" range. Add armor including full skids and heavier rocksliders. 37-40" tires and you're good to go. Ours only has 2.5" lift and 37's but we had a blast in moab.

20200828_112725.jpg

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Assuming you're talking JL, I'd start with a Rubicon. Add a quality lift from metalcloak, rock krawler, or Clayton in the 3-3.5" range. Add armor including full skids and heavier rocksliders. 37-40" tires and you're good to go. Ours only has 2.5" lift and 37's but we had a blast in moab.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Jeep For Crawling Rocks At Moab? 20200828_112725
Awesome photo!

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker

20200828_112725.jpg
A major thing to consider is number of doors.

If building a rock crawler is truly your main goal with this Jeep I strongly suggest a 2 door.

A 2 door with 37” tires will go just about everywhere you’ll want to go.

To get the same break over angle on a 4 door you will need 40” tires - which means swapping to 1 ton axles. (This will cost you at least $25k above and beyond the 37” tire build minimum to do it correctly with 1 ton axles)

So a 2 door Rubicon will be drastically cheaper to build than a 4 door would be

for that reason I say 2 Door Rubicon.

Also as a side note the diesel motor is great, but there isn’t much for skid plates available right now... Artec will have them out in a couple months though so it may be a non issue.

the 2.0 turbo or 3.6L will be easier to get parts for but you’ll get substantially worse mpg than the diesel once you get those 37’s on it.

So the choice of motor is up to you. All choices will work fine. There are just pros and cons to weigh for each. The simplest motor is the 3.6L though... I lot of guys go with that motor just because it’s considered proven and has a wide selection of parts available now.

edit: forgot Diesel is only available in the 4 door. So skip that unless build cost isn’t a factor.

Last edited:

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

If building a rock crawler is truly your main goal with this Jeep I strongly suggest a 2 door.

To get the same break over angle on a 4 door you will need 40” tires - which means swapping to 1 ton axles. (This will cost you at least $25k above and beyond the 37” tire build minimum to do it correctly with 1 ton axles)

Also as a side note the diesel motor is great, but there isn’t much for skid plates available right now... Artec will have them out in a couple months though so it may be a non issue.

the 2.0 turbo or 3.6L will be easier to get parts for but you’ll get substantially worse mpg than the diesel once you get those 37’s on it.
very good points made about the difference in doors and required wheel size, this is exactly my experience, shorter wheel base is better for rock crawling. Check my rig build - I am going to put a Rock Hard Au Full Belly pan and angled up sliders to complete my armor. Get a 2door with 37s and upgrade a few other things and you will have a blast.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur

So the choice of motor is up to you. All choices will work fine. There are just pros and cons to weigh for each. The simplest motor is the 3.6L though... I lot of guys go with that motor just because it’s considered proven and has a wide selection of parts available now.
The 2 door has it's benefits, but gets tippy in a hurry on off camber climbs. Everybody I've wheeled with who owns a 2 door has either flopped or stretched the wheelbase(or both). There is also no space in a 2 door. If you ever want to take more than 1 adult, or even a tall child with you get the 4 door. Yes you will drag the belly, upgraded skids and rockers handle that issue for us small tire 4 doors. In my opinion for the type of wheeling we do, a wheelbase halfway between the 2 door and 4 door would be best of both worlds. If I'm going to compromise I'll take the extra space and stability over maneuverability and break over. No rig is perfect.

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The 2 door has it's benefits, but gets tippy in a hurry on off camber climbs. Everybody I've wheeled with who owns a 2 door has either flopped or stretched the wheelbase(or both). There is also no space in a 2 door. If you ever want to take more than 1 adult, or even a tall child with you get the 4 door. Yes you will drag the belly, upgraded skids and rockers handle that issue for us small tire 4 doors. In my opinion for the type of wheeling we do, a wheelbase halfway between the 2 door and 4 door would be best of both worlds. If I'm going to compromise I'll take the extra space and stability over maneuverability and break over. No rig is perfect.
Good points the 2 door isnt the best in big drops or step ups either and space is an issue, compromise based on your plans is the best, a 4dr in deep mud is better also so while I like only 2 doors there are uses for 4.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Agreed on all points. Especially the getting tippy in the steep stuff in a 2 door.

That’s why I went 4 door. That and the extra space for people/dogs and stuff.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
If I was buying to Rock Crawl, I would buy a tricked out used LJ. The savings can be substantial buying used. If financing most of it, I would not recommend Rock Crawling. Rocks destroy even well built rigs.
built LJ rock crawler for sale
Definitely a good point, but it depends on how much time you want to wrench and what type of rock trails you plan on doing. Our very moderately built jl is perfect for moderate to difficult rock trails, but being the wife's daily and being shiny and new we avoid certain trails. We've done challenging trails like holcomb creek, John bull, and poison spider through to gold bar without destroying anything. Skipped Pritchett canyon, not doing Fordyce anytime soon, but a Rubicon trip is in the works. The skinny pedal and bad lines break parts, most trails those are both avoidable. The trails where they aren't avoidable can be avoided. I miss wheeling my beat up old xj for sure, bouncing it off rocks, full throttle assaults, etc. But we can still run most of the same trails in the shiny new Jeep with a little more care. And the wife really appreciates less time cussing under the jeep on the trail trying to get the broken parts fixed enough to get home.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dan Castro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Jeep For Crawling Rocks At Moab? 20200828_112725
Thanks dude!

OP
OP

Dan Castro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra

edit: forgot Diesel is only available in the 4 door. So skip that unless build cost isn’t a factor.
Thanks dude!

OP
OP

Dan Castro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Good points the 2 door isnt the best in big drops or step ups either and space is an issue, compromise based on your plans is the best, a 4dr in deep mud is better also so while I like only 2 doors there are uses for 4.
Thanks dude!

OP
OP

Dan Castro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Agreed on all points. Especially the getting tippy in the steep stuff in a 2 door.

That’s why I went 4 door. That and the extra space for people/dogs and stuff.
Thanks Dude!
Sponsored