Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
If you want an insurance company to support you go with USAA, if you can. You realize their value when you have to deal with an accident.
Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Iā€™ve been with Allstate for over a decade. Iā€™m in my 30ā€™s, have my house, cars, and several other policies with Allstate. They recently got rid of their professional discounts and I got a huge price increase. My wife and I both have clean driving records, no collisions or legal issues. I pulled a quote from progressive and they beat the auto policy by $1700 a year. I went to aaa and got a quote of almost $1000 less a year.

Lacroix1

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara JL
If youā€™re in CA, OR or Canada, look no further than Wawanesa; theyā€™re the best for both service and price hands down.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Iā€™ve been with Allstate for over a decade. Iā€™m in my 30ā€™s, have my house, cars, and several other policies with Allstate. They recently got rid of their professional discounts and I got a huge price increase. My wife and I both have clean driving records, no collisions or legal issues. I pulled a quote from progressive and they beat the auto policy by $1700 a year. I went to aaa and got a quote of almost $1000 less a year.
What was the price difference between Allstate and Progressive with the Allstate discount you were getting before?

Sponsored

kjone013

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 JLUR MOJITO! (3.6, auto, loaded)
Occupation
Army
I have USAA and pay $100/month for a 2018 GMC 2500 Denali and a 2014 JKUR. Full coverage on both with $500 deductible. I've had no claims but my wife had 2 at fault and 1 not at fault claims. I've looked around and haven't found any cheaper. Also the claims process with them is seamless. My wife on the interstate, had a guy change lanes into the side of her because he was on his phone. USAA said it was 100% his fall but tho other guys insurance, progressive said it was 60% his fault and 40% my wives fault. I don't know how. But USAA waived our deductable and took progressive to arbitration becuase they fulling belived there was know way it was my wives fault since she was in her lane with no where to go, as stated in the police report.

So I fulling support USAA no matter some of the bad stories I hear about them. Until they do me wrong, they are my go to for home and auto.

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
Do you own your home or rent? I ask because if you bundle your home and car insurance with the same company, you usually get a significant break. If you rent you could also consider bundling with renters insurance.

I formerly used Geico, Progressive, and looked into USAA. I'm in my 50's and haven't had a speeding ticket for almost 30 years. We checked with a local insurance company which was actually a broker that searched rates between a bunch of companies. (This is typical with a lot of local, small insurance companies) Anyway, we ended up with an option where we now pay about 30% less for home and cars combined vs. what we used to just pay for cars. Our coverage is a lot better too. The local broker ended up writing the deal through American Family, which if we would have approached directly for the same deal, would have been higher that what we were currently paying. So the brokers can find you some deals.

So ask around with some of your local mom and pop operations. Find out if they are tied to just one company or if they shop multiple companies for you. They might be able to save you a ton of money. Plus you then have someone local to talk to if you have a claim vs. Geico or Progressive.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
A few months back I finally took the time to shop between a dozen or so companies. It's easy doing it online. I had Arbella for 2 cars and house for 30+ years, never bothering to shop. I found I was paying astronomically auto high rates. Arbella was hitting me for $2800/ yr for a 15 Edge and a 16 Mustang. I landed with Geico, $1400/ yr, a 100% savings!! Seems criminal, shame on me, shame on Arbella and shame on my agent. I spoke directly to Geico, confirmed rates, term and comparable coverage. They were very helpful. Traded the Mustang for a new Wrangler in July, and my rates dropped another $50/ yr.

I agree with other posters that using a local agent can help. Just didnā€™t work for me. Bottom line, shop around, go online, check reviews, talk to directly to the companies. Itā€™s a bizarre industry.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
You should establish a relationship with an agent who represents multiple companies. Let them do the foot work comparing company rates. I've know our agent since she was in the 8th grade! She's been our agent for 25 years. Every year or two she shops rates on our house and vehicles. We have State Farm on our vehicles including our classic FJ40. Progressive covers our RV and UTV.

Put $1000 in the bank and carry a $1000 deductible. If you have a good credit score, be sure to find a company like State Farm who takes that into consideration. We cover a 2013 F150, 1982 FJ40 and our JLUR for a little over $1000 every six months.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
What was the price difference between Allstate and Progressive with the Allstate discount you were getting before?
Progressive still had them beat by about $1300 a year.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I pay slightly less than $1100 per year with Geico for full coverage for the JL and a 2019 car. 50/100/50 coverage, no uninsured motorist $501 deductible... Interestingly, the 2019 car was quite a bit less than the JL to purchase, but the insurance rate on it was noticeably higher.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You should establish a relationship with an agent who represents multiple companies. Let them do the foot work comparing company rates. I've know our agent since she was in the 8th grade! She's been our agent for 25 years. Every year or two she shops rates on our house and vehicles. We have State Farm on our vehicles including our classic FJ40. Progressive covers our RV and UTV.
That's a broker, not an agent.
It's definitely best to shop insurance every few years. Your rates will invariably go up.
People are always going to have differing rates from different insurance companies. One factor that I didn't notice mentioned is based on how many policies are written in your location. If the company feels they're overexposed to loss or just don't want to sell in a certain area, your rates will be higher.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Some people like to have all their policies under the same company, but that is not always cheaper. I remember one company advertising that they insure everything and that their auto rates were best. I believe it was a company that I had car insurance with at the time. So, I called them up to see what it would cost to insure my motorcycle with them. I think they quoted me $3K for the same policy that I was getting from Progressive for around $100. I asked them why the difference and they said that the like to *say* that they insure everything, but they don't really *want* to insure certain thinks, so they set the rates so high that no one in their right mind would insure with them on those items.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Crazy part is that such a few percent of people actually shop yearly for insurance. I think it's less than 10% of drivers actually change. Yet we get how many commercials for car insurance blasted at us daily?

silversgrfx

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone! Just checked with Progressive and we are down below a 100 on what seems to be a like-for-like comparison. Will continue the quest (incl. home insurance), but thanks again to everyone that read and came with good suggestions!
Best thing to do with insurance is shop around and let them know your shopping for best price. I was with Allstate for a long time and when I first got a 4 door JK 6-7 years ago they jacked up my insurance to $120 month. I ended up with Geico and have remained with them and only pay $67 a month for full coverage and road side assistance and some others miscellaneous extras. Progressive kept hitting me up with their emails on how they can save me up to XXX amount. Let them do a quote and it was above $120 a month. Just my experience and observations over the years that its best to shop around.
Sponsored