Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever axle-back exhaust you go with, just keep in mind there is a locating nut on the mid section pipe, depends on the brand, you have to notch an opening for it, otherwise you will risk exhaust leaking because the pipes are not fully seated.

This is the locating nut I am talking about, see how I notch following a blue line.
20200626_213122.jpg

Brands I know have this notch built in: AFE, Borla

Brands I know do not have this notch: Dynomax, Hooker, Flowmaster

Other brands I don't know.

It shouldn't be a deciding factor when choosing exhaust brands, but keep in mind (1) ones have it probably underwent more through test (2) ones don't have it, you have to do a little bit of cutting and grinding.
I can confirm the Hooker does not have the notch. My OCD told me to add the notch so I did and it worked fine. A simple Dremmel tool or grinder will get the job done.
Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
The AFE muffler delete is basically silent under 2k rpm. I really don't know how it would be different than any other muffler delete. I rode around with no muffler for a couple hundred miles and it "droned" (essentially was just loud at 1.8-2k rpm which is highway speed). The muffler delete removed that. I don't hear the exhaust over the tires now on the highway. Over 2.5k rpm it sounds great in my opinion.

Coletrickle

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 TJ Rubicon, 19 JLU Rubicon, 21 JT Mojave
Occupation
Build Electricity with Coal
MACH Force-Xp Hi-Tuck 3" 409 Stainless Steel Axle-Back Exhaust System
https://afepower.com/afe-power-49-4...-409-stainless-steel-axle-back-exhaust-system

Buy this... seriously! It's high tuck. Looks great. Sound is perfect. No drone! Just for reference, I wasn't looking for anything loud. I have a Corvette with muffler bypass and a Ram Hemi with MagnaFlow.

I wanted something first that got rid of that big ugly in the way muffler, but didn't sound like crap and didn't drone! Good news is this is all of those. Startup is barely louder than stock. Around town driving again is barely louder than stock, but you can tell you don't have a factory muffler. And best of all freeway driving has zero drone! And I mean zero. I'm very picky about this and would have tried another brand if it was too loud and droned. I was going to do a review with sound clip eventually since I want others to see what a great option this is.

20200524_185922.jpg

20200524_193556_HDR.jpg

20200601_122508_HDR.jpg
I have an AFE hightuck muffler that was installed on my JKU. I took it the the muffler shop and had it modified to work on my JLU it was actually a nice clean looking install but the drone was terrible around 2k rpm. I took it off and reinstalled the factory muffler. AFE must have redisigned the muffler some if your not getting any drone. It looks the same as mine except for the inlet piping. Im just afraid to purchase another muffler now because the drone was so bad.

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
I have an AFE hightuck muffler that was installed on my JKU. I took it the the muffler shop and had it modified to work on my JLU it was actually a nice clean looking install but the drone was terrible around 2k rpm. I took it off and reinstalled the factory muffler. AFE must have redisigned the muffler some if your not getting any drone. It looks the same as mine except for the inlet piping. Im just afraid to purchase another muffler now because the drone was so bad.
Hmmmm... weird. You still have the factory resonator right? What engine does your JLU have? I have the 3.6L.

Coletrickle

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 TJ Rubicon, 19 JLU Rubicon, 21 JT Mojave
Occupation
Build Electricity with Coal
Hmmmm... weird. You still have the factory resonator right? What engine does your JLU have? I have the 3.6L.
Yep factory everything back to the muffler. Its a 3.6L

Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I had the Flowmaster American Thunder Axle back exhaust (muffler delete) installed and found it a bit too loud. I had a shop install the Flowmaster 40 muffler just behind the resonator and it cut the sound by about 50%. It tucks up by the frame rail well out of the way. I don't notice a drone except under heavy acceleration.

Jeep Exhaust 2.jpg

Flowmaster Series 40 Muffler 952549.jpg

Flowmaster American Thunder Axle back exhaust 817837.jpg

4LOWYO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 TJ Sport
I run the MBRP S5530AL on mine, no drone. This exhaust tucks up high enough that it really isn't visible from the rear at all.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I have a Rubi 2-door and have also been waiting for a fairly quite high-clearance exhaust...Wait is almost over, Borla will finally be offering a Touring Climber for 2-door JL's (at least for 3.6-not sure on 2.0) that should be released late September / early October. I just want one now...

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
I went with the Magnaflow rock crawler for my 2-door. It was a very easy install. It’s definitely a bit on the louder side of the options out there, but I’m a big fan of the tone of it. Driving a manual, I couldn’t stand how quiet it was, now I never have to look at the tach ha. I wouldn’t call it a “drone”, but just a good exhaust tone. It also provides much much better clearance.

77RRAD

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The newest version on Borlas climber exhaust with Touring muffler is the quitest I have heard.
Barley louder then stock, very high tuck. Nothing is below the framrails.
I tried muffler delete, AFE Mach Force, Magnaflow cat back and have heard various others.

Ron

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The newest version on Borlas climber exhaust with Touring muffler is the quitest I have heard.
Barley louder then stock, very high tuck. Nothing is below the framrails.
I tried muffler delete, AFE Mach Force, Magnaflow cat back and have heard various others.

Ron

Yup! Waiting impatiently for Borla to release their 2-door version, from what they told me a couple of weeks ago should be the end of this month or early October...

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
Savvy/Magnaflow Exhaust... NO Drone, nice tone, not too loud on interstate at constant speeds.
I've tried several iterations of mufflers and resonators.. Nothing worked.

With the Savvy muffler installed you cannot see the muffler or tailpipe from rear of Jeep.

Chubrocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2017 JKU Sport, 2013 F150, 2004 4Runner
AFE HI tuck also. No drone. Muffler is invisible, love it.
Sponsored