Sponsored

Best halogen housing led bulb replacement

jpqst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
As an update I finally got a chance to drive at night and I would say this set up is substantially better than stock. Visibility was much clearer and the light traveled much further. I did not have anyone flash me and the cutoff seems similar to stock. I took a picture of the lights but it didn't really come out great. Down the line I will probably replace the headlights completely but for the time being I feel like this was a great upgrade for $60.
Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
When I swapped out my halogens for Beamtechs I removed the grill, there is a reason on the HR video he did not show the driver side swap, there are AC lines in the way that do not move. I’m not saying it can’t be don’t as @TTEChris put some Beamtechs in without pulling the grill but for me pulling the grill was easier, I have not seen the Supernova V4 in person but my Beamtechs for $40 are a huge improvement

C0DE4BE7-0CAD-4842-8906-6A2D84E4418F.jpeg
@WranglerMan. The Beamtechs looks great! Are there any issues with heat dissipation inside the sealed unit?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@WranglerMan. The Beamtechs looks great! Are there any issues with heat dissipation inside the sealed unit?
No issues that I am aware of and they are still burning just as bright as day one, I’m sure there are better out there but for $40 you can’t go wrong

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
@WranglerMan , @Mark Elliott , @jpqst

Thanks. I was a bit concerned about the Beamtechs since the sealed units in our Jeeps don't have any air circulation.

It is only a matter of time, however there are several factors that will help predict how long till replacement needed.

If you live in a Northern climate when at night temp are cool and daylight longer in the summer, you should get reasonable life, however in a southern climate 1/2 to 1/3 the life expectancy I would guess (heat is everything to the life of LED). However what is life in terms of hours, that all depends how often you drive at night. Since I bought mine in Sept I have driven once at nights at this rate I should get a lifetime out of my LED lamps. If you do install LED lamps I do recommend lamps with active (fan) cooling, that will extend the life of the Lamp. Also keep in mind it is not so much the Diodes that will fail it is the driver (transformer) which generally sticks out the back of the headlight fixture and does usually have heat-sinks external, that is what I look for is good active cooling. Passive cooled LED head lamps will likely have premature failures it the plastic coffin of the head lamp fixture. Active cooled lamps generally cost a little more but not by much, the only real issue with those is the fan is just another component to fail, however fans have become very reliable these days

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
It is only a matter of time, however there are several factors that will help predict how long till replacement needed.

If you live in a Northern climate when at night temp are cool and daylight longer in the summer, you should get reasonable life, however in a southern climate 1/2 to 1/3 the life expectancy I would guess (heat is everything to the life of LED). However what is life in terms of hours, that all depends how often you drive at night. Since I bought mine in Sept I have driven once at nights at this rate I should get a lifetime out of my LED lamps. If you do install LED lamps I do recommend lamps with active (fan) cooling, that will extend the life of the Lamp. Also keep in mind it is not so much the Diodes that will fail it is the driver (transformer) which generally sticks out the back of the headlight fixture and does usually have heat-sinks external, that is what I look for is good active cooling. Passive cooled LED head lamps will likely have premature failures it the plastic coffin of the head lamp fixture. Active cooled lamps generally cost a little more but not by much, the only real issue with those is the fan is just another component to fail, however fans have become very reliable these days
I am not disagreeing with you, but I would like to add something that goes the other way.

I have fanless LED bulbs in my Polaris RZR. They are some cheap $30ish ones off amazon. They are on, any time my RZR is running. Mostly ride during daylight hours. I leave them on for daytime running lights on the trails. They are not enclosed like the Wranglers are, but they are pretty much covered in mud always. I do live in WI, but I really only use the rzr in summer. This will be the 4th season on the lights. If they fail, I wouldnt complain.

Like I said, I dont disagree with what lightsout said. It makes sense. But I have had great luck with them. In reality, its probably just luck of the draw if you get lights that last or not.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I am not disagreeing with you, but I would like to add something that goes the other way.

I have fanless LED bulbs in my Polaris RZR. They are some cheap $30ish ones off amazon. They are on, any time my RZR is running. Mostly ride during daylight hours. I leave them on for daytime running lights on the trails. They are not enclosed like the Wranglers are, but they are pretty much covered in mud always. I do live in WI, but I really only use the rzr in summer. This will be the 4th season on the lights. If they fail, I wouldnt complain.

Like I said, I dont disagree with what lightsout said. It makes sense. But I have had great luck with them. In reality, its probably just luck of the draw if you get lights that last or not.

The heat is a cancer it is typically a slow death that shortens the overall life, it could be months or years even, but make no mistake for every hour LED's operate in excess heat life it shortened. One reason is many LED drivers have capacitors that are filled with a Gel material and eventually that gel hardens thus the drivers cease to function, more heat simply excelorates that process. That is just one of the factors impeeding long life of LED, as heat is the #1 enemy of all electronics. I am not arguing that low cost LED are bad, while they may not be as robust as some of the more expensive, they may likely provide service for a reasonable amount of time. Even the extreme low cost Chinese stuff is getting better.

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I installed the Beamtechs ($31 on eBay) yesterday. I forgot to plug one in and went for a test drive last night. One Beamtech was much brighter than both OEM halogen bulbs combined.

WyoTex

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi x 2, 2009 JKU Rubi and 1981 CJ7 Rubiwannabe
I went with the Beamtech 10K lumen H13, very impressed

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads