Best Fridge-Dometic or ARB?

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The Engel I purchased in May of 2003 has been plugged in and running about 85% of the time since then and has had zero problems.
I honestly don’t think I would trade it for a new fridge from any manufacturer.
Sponsored

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I had an Alpicool C40 for 2 years now. No issues. I changed the hinge so that it hinges on the short side and put it behind the driver side rear seat. It fits good with the seat up and the gap between the fridge and seat gives me assurance that the fridge can breath. (The gap is at the bottom due to the lean of the seat) I can use the factory tie down points to anchor the cooler. I also use the ARB plug with the screw in connector. It just plugs right into the fridge.

I have never had an issue with my Alpicool, I expected to try it out and buy a quality one when it died, and after 2 years it works every time.

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
so, do either/both of these fit in the rear on the left side with the rear seat up in a JLU?

my challenge is i want a fridge that will fit on the left side of the vehicle oriented long-ways front/back even when the rear seat is up.

EDIT:
i do NOT want to install a slide, as i need keep the back of the vehicle configurable for too many other things.
Both the ones I listed that I own, fit in the cargo area on the driver side with the seat up.
The ARB is bigger, but fits with no slide. The Dometic is a bit smaller and will fit with or without a slide (I used an AAL slide). I have since sold the ARB simply because I did not need two fridges, and the Dometic still gives me the option of using a slide if I decide to go back to using one some day.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I ended up with a Dometic CFX55IM. I've had it plugged in 120v in the garage for weeks and have used it once in the JLUR for a day trip. I also loaned it to my neighbor for a little trip they did up the coast to "glamp". It has worked flawlessly in that short time. I can't tell you the current draw. Others will have done extensive testing of that.

Eyeball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ & 2023 JLUR
I will give you my personal experience with a number of 12v fridge/freezers. I currently own the Iceco JP 40, Iceco gogo 20, and Engel MRO40F-U1 40 QT. I currently use the Iceco JP 40 in the back of the JL. I have used it for over a year now with no problems. Plenty of room and light weight. Nice dimensions for my configuration. Has not shut down under steep angles and Iceco states it can be operated up to 40 degrees angles. One of my main concerns is power draw. On normal mode when compressor is on it uses 2.2 to 2.4 amps. Max mode it uses 4.2 amps. The Iceco gogo 20 is dual zone and it seems to draw a little more in dual zone. One zone being refrigerated and the other being freezer mode. If I remember it was about 4 amps when compressor running. I have had it shut off once because of steep angles. Since that time I have gone over the same angle and never have shut off again. The Engel is one of my favorites using 3.2 amps. I have not used it in the Jeep because of size and the way I have the cargo area set up. But I have had the Engel for over 5 years and not one problem with it. I have friends with both ARB and Dometic. What I have experienced is both of those brands use at least twice the power draw of the Iceco and the Engel. Could there be a difference in insulation? Might be but I have not seen in my experience any difference that would make me want to go with ARB and Dometic for that reason. Are they quality units? You bet! I would love to have a 40 qt. dual zone but have not found a quality unit in that size. Hope this helps with decision making. Sorry I can't help with customer support.
When these portable units shut down due to steep inclines or declines do they auto restart or is there a manual process that needs to be followed after the incline/decline?

Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
When these portable units shut down due to steep inclines or declines do they auto restart or is there a manual process that needs to be followed after the incline/decline?
Not sure I read anything on this in my manual. Probably best to go to the website for the brand you're interested in and look up the manual.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
not sure what you’d have to do to make that happen; never seen our Dometic shut down like that.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
On another note, my wife wanted a smaller fridge for up in the cab of the pickup when we travel. I ended up getting an Iceco Go20 when they were on sale for about $395. We've had it plugged in the wall for about 2 weeks now. It has held steady with the 2 zone divider.

jlrubeinswaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I have 3 Iceco fridge/freezers. I have not had the JP series ever shut down for steep angles. Once my GO20 dual zone shut off because of the angle. Went over the same angle many times after with no problems. If I remember right I had to restart it. I guess it needed to be broke in. LOL.
Sponsored

Last edited: