Sponsored

Best factory set up now that there's 4.88s for manual?

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Another tire to consider if you're looking for lightweight are the new Good Year territories. These are what im eventually going to run. I don't know if they're available in 39s but I know the 35s are only 52lbs. Which is actually 4lbs lighter then even the Rubicon factory KO2 33s.

I think a 2 door 3.6 Manual 4.88 gears with 35 inch tires that only weight 52lbs is going to be a great set up. Definitely one hell of a mountain goat for sure..đź‘Ť

Might even go 37s with those 4.88s!!
Wow, those are some light AT's. The "MT" designation is sorta misleading, lol. Doesn't appear they're available in anything larger than a 35.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I guess there's 2 ways to look at this. Dinosaur engines? Or tried and true reliability? When it comes to off roading you don't want to be using a new unproven engine every so many years and wondering if your going break down in the middle of nowhere.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I love those engines. And most people would choose a high-displacement NA engine given the choice. (I'm holding on dearly to my 2 valve/cylinder 6.2L LT1 Camaro SS 1LE - but have to fight the cyl deactivation crap)

They are dinosaurs in the sense that they are going through a mass extinction event. The giant asteroid that is killing them is called government regulation and fuel/CO2 taxes.

In a sense FCA-NA is the only one that has kept the fight going. They seem to be the only ones to have figured out that many buyers will gladly pay gas guzzler taxes and $thousands if you drop a Hemi or a simpler NA engine on anything.

The_Skyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 6 spd 4.88
Wait - are you able to order the manual XR already? I'm waiting on ordering but my dealer hasn't said anything.

Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Wait - are you able to order the manual XR already?
In the 10/8/21 order book -

you can order a manual with 4.88 already. That's order code DMS. But so far the XR package is power train is "ERG" only which is the V6 + eTorque.

The_Skyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 6 spd 4.88
In the 10/8/21 order book -

you can order a manual with 4.88 already. That's order code DMS. But so far the XR package is power train is "ERG" only which is the V6 + eTorque.
Thanks. Slowly getting there I guess but not quite the full package.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The 4.88's might help the questionable clutch, but I still wouldn't trust it. The auto still has better gearing in my opinion, especially coupled with the xr's 4.56. That being said, I'd still go 2.0t or 4xe (massive tax incentives and electric motor torque) if I were in the market. What I wouldn't do is wait for Jeep to offer all the stuff I'd really want in one package. 2.0t with 4.88's and 35's would be a blast to drive. The fact of the matter is that factory tires are all average at best for off road use anyway. It will be interesting to see how the side walls hold up on those Territories, being that light I worry about puncture resistance.

antonc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Did they finally fix the clutch in the '22 model year or is it still prone to overheating issues?

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Another tire to consider if you're looking for lightweight are the new Good Year territories. These are what im eventually going to run. I don't know if they're available in 39s but I know the 35s are only 52lbs. Which is actually 4lbs lighter then even the Rubicon factory KO2 33s.

I think a 2 door 3.6 Manual 4.88 gears with 35 inch tires that only weight 52lbs is going to be a great set up. Definitely one hell of a mountain goat for sure..đź‘Ť

Might even go 37s with those 4.88s!!
Unfortunately tire radius has a much larger effect in drivability than tire mass.

Jeep doesnt change the gearing for rubia on falkens M/Ts which are 10lbs heavier per tire than the ko2s.

Gossamer

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, Tesla M3P
I prefer manuals. At one point, all 3 of my cars were manuals. For "reasons," I went to all autos. I've grown bored and I'm going back.

4.88 is a no brainer for off-road use. The lower the better, especially with manual. On road, the Rubicon with 4.1s has a RPM around 2,200@70 mph. It increases to around 2,600 with the 4.88s. I think this is tolerable.

It also makes the inevitable jump to 37s less complicated. đź‘Ť

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Unfortunately tire radius has a much larger effect in drivability than tire mass.

Jeep doesnt change the gearing for rubia on falkens M/Ts which are 10lbs heavier per tire than the ko2s.
"The effect of wheel weight on performance
Beyond the idea that heavier vehicles are harder to get up to speed and slow back down, reducing wheel weight means you’re reducing the “un-sprung” weight of your vehicle. There’s a lot of physics behind the full impact of that change, but ultimately, it means it’s easier for the suspension to do its job effectively. The wheels are the easiest and most cost-effective way to reduce un-sprung weight (the alternative is components like axles, wheel hubs, control arms, and certain driveshaft components).

Reducing the wheel weight in a performance vehicle – especially one meant to take corners, means you’ll quickly find better handling when you’re behind the wheel. In tests, drivers saw substantial improvements in lap times when they cut 12 pounds off each wheel.

Getting less mass in motion also means your acceleration will make a notable improvement. In testing, many drivers knocked nearly half a second off of their 0-60 times. That’s substantial, and certainly worth considering with a car that’s built for performance.

Cutting weight from your wheels isn’t just about the weight you remove, but the physics behind how that particular weight’s location makes your car behave on the track. It’s far more impactful than, for example, switching from your factory hood to a carbon fiber one. If performance is your goal, upgrading to lighter weight wheels can be worth every penny."
Both weight and diameter are equally important. If you want a particular size tire for clearance or look, keeping the weight down can help to negate the effects of the larger tire. A 33 vs a 35 is a negligible difference in diameter anyway, if you managed to drop weight in the process I'd be willing to bet you would be hard pressed to notice a difference in driveability between the 2.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
The 4.88's might help the questionable clutch, but I still wouldn't trust it. The auto still has better gearing in my opinion, especially coupled with the xr's 4.56. That being said, I'd still go 2.0t or 4xe (massive tax incentives and electric motor torque) if I were in the market. What I wouldn't do is wait for Jeep to offer all the stuff I'd really want in one package. 2.0t with 4.88's and 35's would be a blast to drive. The fact of the matter is that factory tires are all average at best for off road use anyway. It will be interesting to see how the side walls hold up on those Territories, being that light I worry about puncture resistance.
Last I heard they got the manual situation fixed. Also keep in mind you can make a manual transmission last forever. Easy to replace a clutch. Once an Auto transmission is dead its dead. So you either have to buy an entirely new transmission or move on from the vehicle. A big reason why a lot of old 2 door manual transmission Jeeps are still on the road.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Last I heard they got the manual situation fixed. Also keep in mind you can make a manual transmission last forever. Easy to replace a clutch. Once an Auto transmission is dead its dead. So you either have to buy an entirely new transmission or move on from the vehicle. A big reason why a lot of old 2 door manual transmission Jeeps are still on the road.
80hp is probably a big reason why nobody was blowing up the old manual trannys. Nothing lasts forever. Everything can be broken. Everything can also be repaired or replaced. I’ve personally gotten over 200k miles out of several Jeep auto’s. My Toyota Yaris commuter car had 240k miles on the original clutch when a Honda odyssey turned left through the front end at 40+ mph. Longevity is a roll of the dice. Most would say Jeep’s reliability is suspect. I’ve owned everything from a wagoneer with the amc 360, multiple Cherokee’s and grand Cherokee’s with the 4.0L, and an 01 grand with the 4.7L and all had motors running strong at well over 200k. Maintenance and paying attention to failed/ failing parts goes a long way in my experience. They may have fixed the clutch overheating, who knows. You can’t really go wrong either way, new and under warranty for years. By then issues should be exposed and sorted. Ours has 43k on the 2.0t with no real issues.
Sponsored