Sponsored

Best factory set up now that there's 4.88s for manual?

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Not going to lie the 4.88 gears for the manual really has me considering going back to my original build of a 2 door Rubicon. And I was even considering the 392.

I think a 2 door Rubicon with the 3.6 and manual transmission with 4.88 gears would be a killer set up from the factory especially for adding bigger tires.

Whether you're going 2 or 4 door for a 2022 order which engine transmission set up are you now considering?
Sponsored

Blazing Saddles

First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum
Not going to lie the 4.88 gears for the manual really has me considering going back to my original build of a 2 door Rubicon. And I was even considering the 392.

I think a 2 door Rubicon with the 3.6 and manual transmission with 4.88 gears would be a killer set up from the factory especially for adding bigger tires.

Whether you're going 2 or 4 door for a 2022 order which engine transmission set up are you now considering?
Put in my order for my 2 door 6 speed/3.6 V6. Was getting a stick anyway, the 4.88 was extra icing on the cake. You know you want one.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Exactly what I wanted this summer when I traded in my ‘19 JL for a ‘21 JLR. Wasn’t patient enough to wait.

In hindsight, I like the 2.0T / 8 AT combo better than the 3.6L / 6MT. Don’t think I’ll need to regear moving up to 37s.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly what I wanted this summer when I traded in my ‘19 JL for a ‘21 JLR. Wasn’t patient enough to wait.

In hindsight, I like the 2.0T / 8 AT combo better than the 3.6L / 6MT. Don’t think I’ll need to regear moving up to 37s.
My JLUR has the 2.0/8-speed combo and I didn't feel the need to regear all the way up to 38's. Now on 40's, the thought of 4.88's is blipping the edge of my radar screen.
Jeep Wrangler JL Best factory set up now that there's 4.88s for manual? 20211013_132632
Jeep Wrangler JL Best factory set up now that there's 4.88s for manual? 20211014_133132

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
My JLUR has the 2.0/8-speed combo and I didn't feel the need to regear all the way up to 38's. Now on 40's, the thought of 4.88's is blipping the edge of my radar screen.
20211013_132632.jpg
20211014_133132.jpg
It's definitely interesting that Jeep doesn't offer any of the big upgrades for the 2.0 though.🤔

Extreme Recon 4.56 gears 3.6 auto

4.88 gears 3.6 manual.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Today’s significantly more powerful engines, and smarter multi-speed automatic transmissions have mostly eliminated the limitations gearing used to impose on drivability.

Factory gearing is not the unsurmountable issue it was decades ago. IMO, gearing, and re-gearing, get blown out of proportion on these forums.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Today’s significantly more powerful engines, and smarter multi-speed automatic transmissions have mostly eliminated the limitations gearing used to impose on drivability.

Factory gearing is not the unsurmountable issue it was decades ago. IMO, gearing, and re-gearing, get blown out of proportion on these forums.
I ran heavy tires and beadlocks on my ‘19 JLUR 2.0. It was fine unless I was trying to drive 75 on the highway. If I did, it would hunt for gears and return me 11 mpg. But the drivability was fine as you stated. City was still fine too — I’d get 18-20 in town. Didn’t seem to care about the added rotational mass at those lower speeds. The previous transmission in the JK with that setup would have been worse with the 3.6 and entirely unacceptable with the 3.8.

I think if you’re trying to run larger tires on a non rubicon it’s probably a larger issue for people as far as drivability. But that’s super subjective.

Blazing Saddles

First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum
I grabbed the 4.88 gearing only because I was getting a manual anyway. Most of the features I was going to add became standard, so I grabbed a few extra wants. The real question is, which combination best fits you? I learned to drive on a 5 speed and have always preferred sticks to autos, but I have owned both. There is never traffic around here, except during tourist season influx. I am buying the Jeep purely for fun, so I went with what I enjoy the most. My wife's Wrangler has the 3.6 with the auto and it is fantastic. If I lived back in Atlanta and had to deal with that traffic again, I would have opted for a completely different style of Wrangler.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I ran heavy tires and beadlocks on my ‘19 JLUR 2.0. It was fine unless I was trying to drive 75 on the highway. If I did, it would hunt for gears and return me 11 mpg. But the drivability was fine as you stated. City was still fine too — I’d get 18-20 in town. Didn’t seem to care about the added rotational mass at those lower speeds. The previous transmission in the JK with that setup would have been worse with the 3.6 and entirely unacceptable with the 3.8.

I think if you’re trying to run larger tires on a non rubicon it’s probably a larger issue for people as far as drivability. But that’s super subjective.
Indeed.

The last time I felt gearing was a limiting factor was on my 2008 Sahara 2-door and 2009 Rubicon 4-door. Both had the old 3.8L V6 and the 6-speed manual. The Sahara came with 3.21 gears; the Rubicon with 4.10. The Sahara cruised smoothly at 75 MPH but 6th speed was very tall; it seemed little more than a place-holder for the shifter. The Rubicon struggled to maintain 70 MPH on climbs with 3 people on board, even on the stock 32s.

But all that changed with the advent of the stronger Pentastar 3.6L V6 and the Mercedes 5-speed automatic. My 2012+ JKs drove fine, regardless of tires.

My JL Sahara drives fine on 35s with the V6 and 8-speed auto. Like you, I find my 8-speed has become mostly a 6-7 speed transmission, and my MPG has fallen to the mid-to-high teens. But the Jeep drives just fine.

BTW, re-gearing might restore the use of all eight gears on the automatic, but it is unlikely to restore my MPG. Lower gears tend to help drivability but at the cost of fuel efficiency. Can’t get around them basic laws of physics...

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I'm giving some thought to dropping an order for a 22 JLUR with 6sp manual.

Here are some rambling thoughts, since that's what you invited in the thread title:

The tire size I'm considering is the BFG KO2 39x13.5R17, which is the lightest in its category at 78lbs at that size, on a 27lb rim.

So 4.88 or 5.13 would make sense. Cheaper and more reliable to have gearing configured from the factory... but probably breaking open the axles anyway, to install RCV axles...

4.88 is a little weird to run on the factory 33s, while waiting to gather all the lift and upgrade parts together.

To your point - a 2 door with 35s and 4.88s is gonna be a real mountain goat.

Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
It's definitely interesting that Jeep doesn't offer any of the big upgrades for the 2.0 though.🤔
Part of me thinks that it's just a matter of limiting the number of manufacturing configurations they have to support. And their marketing research tells them that the most likely buyers for the XR are probably the same buyers gravitating to the old-skool V6.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
2.0s still have a low take rate, and with part supply shortages the priority for 2.0s is with the 4Xe.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It's all about managing the available engine supply. Jeep has been moving configuration options around the 2.0 and 3.6 since the launch of the JL.

It seems at the moment they have too many people wanting the 2.0 so they are putting out packages to push the 3.6. Next year, they will re-tweak again.

The 3.6 is also the cheapest to build of all the JL engine options - making folks pay more for it with extra package options (XR, 4.88, etc) must be a cash generation dream for Jeep.

Either way it is amazing that FCA has manage to continue to sell such old engines like the Pentastar and the Hemi. They were neck and neck with Toyota milking dinosaur engines - Toyota finally had to update the engines on the Tundra/Land Cruiser. FCA should be able to do it in the next 5-10 years :)

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I'm giving some thought to dropping an order for a 22 JLUR with 6sp manual.

Here are some rambling thoughts, since that's what you invited in the thread title:

The tire size I'm considering is the BFG KO2 39x13.5R17, which is the lightest in its category at 78lbs at that size, on a 27lb rim.

So 4.88 or 5.13 would make sense. Cheaper and more reliable to have gearing configured from the factory... but probably breaking open the axles anyway, to install RCV axles...

4.88 is a little weird to run on the factory 33s, while waiting to gather all the lift and upgrade parts together.

To your point - a 2 door with 35s and 4.88s is gonna be a real mountain goat.
Another tire to consider if you're looking for lightweight are the new Good Year territories. These are what im eventually going to run. I don't know if they're available in 39s but I know the 35s are only 52lbs. Which is actually 4lbs lighter then even the Rubicon factory KO2 33s.

I think a 2 door 3.6 Manual 4.88 gears with 35 inch tires that only weight 52lbs is going to be a great set up. Definitely one hell of a mountain goat for sure..👍

Might even go 37s with those 4.88s!!

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
It's all about managing the available engine supply. Jeep has been moving configuration options around the 2.0 and 3.6 since the launch of the JL.

It seems at the moment they have too many people wanting the 2.0 so they are putting out packages to push the 3.6. Next year, they will re-tweak again.

The 3.6 is also the cheapest to build of all the JL engine options - making folks pay more for it with extra package options (XR, 4.88, etc) must be a cash generation dream for Jeep.

Either way it is amazing that FCA has manage to continue to sell such old engines like the Pentastar and the Hemi. They were neck and neck with Toyota milking dinosaur engines - Toyota finally had to update the engines on the Tundra/Land Cruiser. FCA should be able to do it in the next 5-10 years :)
I guess there's 2 ways to look at this. Dinosaur engines? Or tried and true reliability? When it comes to off roading you don't want to be using a new unproven engine every so many years and wondering if your going break down in the middle of nowhere.
Sponsored