Best/Easiest Ground for Auxiliary Back Up Lights?

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Where is the best/easiest place to attach a ground for auxiliary back up lights. Run a ground wire up into body for ground near OEM rear light? Is there a ground wire in the OEM Tow Harness? There are several bolts holding up reflective panels just rear of muffler? Drilling a hole into the OEM receiver tube and using a self-tapping screw?

Advertisement

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
I haven't wired rear lights yet, but I will within the next few months when I pick a rear bumper that will have LED cubes. What I plan to do is ground the lights to one of the bolts that attached the tow package plug harness to the frame. I saw a video somewhere that said that the tow plug covers have a diagram or something similar that tells you which wire is ground. Not sure...haven't checked it out yet. I know that if you have your wire set up tapped into the tow plug white wire with orange stripe, you can run your ground wire to the 7 pin mounting bracket bolt. Just make sure that whatever bolt you use for ground, that its not painted. You need the ground to strike metal.

MojitoJLUR

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Where is the best/easiest place to attach a ground for auxiliary back up lights. Run a ground wire up into body for ground near OEM rear light? Is there a ground wire in the OEM Tow Harness? There are several bolts holding up reflective panels just rear of muffler? Drilling a hole into the OEM receiver tube and using a self-tapping screw?
I'd just look for the most accessible sheet metal section and use a self tapping screw if there aren't bolts that are close. Just make sure you scrap away any paint to get good metal contact.

Alacon01

First Name
Cody
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just tapped everything into my factory tow package when I did mine, was a quick simple job.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
I used the ground on the trailer wiring, works perfectly.

IMG_20180730_120700.jpg

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS

Advertisement

Quadratec

Advertisement