Sponsored

Best Doomsday Vehicles: Top 5 Rides For Escaping The Apocalypse (you already know #1)

Pape

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
What no Hyundai ?!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Doomsday Vehicles: Top 5 Rides For Escaping The Apocalypse (you already know #1) 1698080796764

Lol,

In all seriousness, living to close to ground zero, only a fantasy to even bug out for the big one.
But this does not mean I should not be ready for the normal stuff :)
Sponsored

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
The two biggest enemies in an apocalypse would be: 1. other people, 2. what is left of the government. So, a plan that involes getting away from other people sounds like as reasonable a plan as any

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You’re making an assumption that large numbers of people won’t be trying to join you in your secluded wilderness haven. I believe you are mistaken.
A. I think most people have a city mindset, and couldn't find resources in nature if they tried.
B. Most of those who even think "get away from the cities" will be in cars headed for Tahoe or Yosemite
C. Few will be actually prepared to head out into remote wilderness areas in a vehicle that can get them there. Sure there will be the occasional backpacker, but they are massively out gunned just based off the fact they have to carry everything they own.

It seems like we forget what the typical person's mindset is now, before shit hits the fan and they are panicked. Most will be following the safety in numbers or lock myself in a/my house and only go out for supplies strategies which will quickly not end well. Do you think the average city person is going to suddenly developed hunting/trapping/fishing skills, the ability to build shelter, and firearms knowledge (let alone finding them) over night in an apocalypse? Most of them couldn't survive without goigle maps and Doordash at this point. And obviously in an apocalypse survival rates go way down, sure there may be a few random passer-bys in the woods, but odds are those with the experience, skills, and mindset to be out there aren't looking for any kind of fight either. The sense of entitlement to what others have is kind of a city trait.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
People without law and order are just another deadly animal, but worse. If your survival strategy relies on meeting random people and then trusting in and depending on them you're done already.
So then we're both dead. Got it.

Everyone thinks they're a survivalist but really none of us would make it long alone.

Few will be actually prepared to head out into remote wilderness areas in a vehicle that can get them there. Sure there will be the occasional backpacker, but they are massively out gunned just based off the fact they have to carry everything they own.
There are 200k Wranglers sold every year, and over 3M full-size pickups and SUVs. All of these vehicles are capable of "getting them there". Sure you might survive an extra few weeks in a remote location as opposed to a city, but it won't be long before another group of "I'll be fine i'm a master survivalist" types happens upon you and decides they want what you have. Then you're outnumbered because you're all alone.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The two biggest enemies in an apocalypse would be: 1. other people, 2. what is left of the government. So, a plan that involes getting away from other people sounds like as reasonable a plan as any
After Fukashima, the Japanese Food Bank sent representatives to the US's largest food bank (St Mary's in Phoenix) for input of how to manage a distribution operation. Evidently, the food supplies were not being taken and were building up at the disaster site. In Japan, no one would take food until there was enough brought in for everyone. And...everyone was fed without any violence. Imagine how that would play out here? Where did we lose our way?

[Ironically, Japan is the only area that has been the recipient of a true apocalypse - at least in modern history]

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
So then we're both dead. Got it.

Everyone thinks they're a survivalist but really none of us would make it long alone.

There are 200k Wranglers sold every year, and over 3M full-size pickups and SUVs. All of these vehicles are capable of "getting them there". Sure you might survive an extra few weeks in a remote location as opposed to a city, but it won't be long before another group of "I'll be fine i'm a master survivalist" types happens upon you and decides they want what you have. Then you're outnumbered because you're all alone.
As you noted early on, fuel will be a diminishing asset. There are literally millions of miles of forest roads, those with the take from others mentality would be foolish to even try to search them all for the random family that might have a few deer they've harvested? Again, in an actual apocalypse survival will be unlikely, but it world take someone intent on finding you years of concerted effort, especially if you intentionally went out the worst of the worst trails you could find. No those millions of full sized trucks and stock Jeeps won't likely "get you there", and a few wrong turns and you're out of fuel. I only needed fuel to get there, the robber types need enough to get back. Those burning fuel searching for a random homestead to attack won't likely exist. They'll want more populated areas to increase the odds they can steal anything of use. It's a mental exercise, and again those that had the better plan won't even get to gloat as those with the bad plans are dead. I'll take my chances as a needle in a haystack rather than a needle in a pile of needles in the cities.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
After Fukashima, the Japanese Food Bank sent representatives to the US's largest food bank (St Mary's in Phoenix) for input of how to manage a distribution operation. Evidently, the food supplies were not being taken and were building up at the disaster site. In Japan, no one would take food until there was enough for everyone. And...everyone was fed without any violence. Imagine how that would play out here? Neighbor would be killing neighbor for a loaf of bread. Where did we lose our way?
The japanese preserved their ethnic culture, so they have strong cultural bonds and tribe mentality.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Where y’all going to get fuel for these vehicles?
There’ll be a tank or too available then squat after that.
Pre-planning, my friend. Pre-planning.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Doomsday Vehicles: Top 5 Rides For Escaping The Apocalypse (you already know #1) 1698089581526

Lots of great books on this topic:

One Second After, by William Fortchen
After the EMP, by Harley Tate
Going Home, by A. American

Don't read them. They will make you spend thousand of dollars on food and water storage, and buy several thousand rounds of ammo, LOL.
Agreed. Every pinhead that watched the cable survivalist shows then went out and purchased ammunition in abundance. Years later, we're still seeing the effects on pricing and availability. It wasn't so long ago that .22LR became available again at all.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
As you noted early on, fuel will be a diminishing asset. There are literally millions of miles of forest roads, those with the take from others mentality would be foolish to even try to search them all for the random family that might have a few deer they've harvested? Again, in an actual apocalypse survival will be unlikely, but it world take someone intent on finding you years of concerted effort, especially if you intentionally went out the worst of the worst trails you could find. No those millions of full sized trucks and stock Jeeps won't likely "get you there", and a few wrong turns and you're out of fuel. I only needed fuel to get there, the robber types need enough to get back. Those burning fuel searching for a random homestead to attack won't likely exist. They'll want more populated areas to increase the odds they can steal anything of use. It's a mental exercise, and again those that had the better plan won't even get to gloat as those with the bad plans are dead. I'll take my chances as a needle in a haystack rather than a needle in a pile of needles in the cities.
It seems you have a very limited sense of just how many people there are on this rock. Bottom line is you are not going to make it long on your own...and as you pointed out it's difficult to trust anyone else in such a scenario...but i'm very confident that i'll last longer by finding others interested in combining skills and trying to survive as a group than you will by yourself.

The japanese preserved their ethnic culture, so they have strong cultural bonds and tribe mentality.
Yup, there are positives and negatives to nationalism...things people don't like to talk about.

Sponsored

THAW

First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JL4DrRubicon
Even when allowing for the low standards of "Listicles", the linked article is embarrassing....and I didn't even get past the first recommendation.

E.g.:
“The Wranglers are the highest and most commonly lifted vehicles you can get for under 200 Benjamins."
$200 for a Wrangler?
I agree about listicles, but a Benjamin = $100, 200 of them is $20,000. And paper money will be obsolete.

Last edited:

Write_Rich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler, 2007 Toyota Corolla
Personally I think the best doomsday vehicle would be a decent bike.. No need for fuel/fluids, easy to maintain, no electronics to fry and one can easily find parts or even replace it.. A couple years into your favorite doomsday scenario most of the vehicles listed by these wannabe "experts" would be DOA on the side of the road due to lack of maintenance, parts, fuel etc etc. I guess you can still use them for shelter..

If you really think doomsday is going down save the money you would spend on one of these vehicles for what every doomsday Sci Fi novel recommends. A bike, a good pair of boots, food, booze for trading and guns/ammo for hunting/protection. Maybe also learn how to hunt, fish, farm and rebuild society as well. Hey! This is the end of the world! No time outs for warranty services and no Costco for toilet paper and hand sanitizer!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I agree about listacles, but a Benjamin = $100, 200 of them is $20,000.
Agreed. I should've looked more closely at the math.