First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
With the steersmart steering you have to be a little more cautious with with diff cover you go with due to the reduced clearance. I know the arb sticks out quite a bit. We run the motobiLt and it gets really close to the cover but it barely clears. Metalcloak released some nice ones too but I haven’t checked it against the steersmart stuff yet

brett
Do you have a pic of how much clearance you have? I’m currently running RK track bars but considering swapping to SteerSmarts but have Motobilt diff covers sitting in my garage to install when I do the 500 mile check after the re-gear.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Do you have a pic of how much clearance you have? I’m currently running RK track bars but considering swapping to SteerSmarts but have Motobilt diff covers sitting in my garage to install when I do the 500 mile check after the re-gear.
I can try and remember to snap one tomorrow. Any reason to not stay with the RK TB? I don’t think you’d be gaining anything going with the steersmart in practical strength.

brett

TheLodgeOne

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Motobilt, cant beat it for 100 bucks and paint it yourself
I like them too but they're not really engineered to circulate diff fluid very well.

I think ARB covers are probably best.. some of the most expensive though as well

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've got an ARB on the rear. It is heavy and solid and the dipstick is nice, too. It also has magnets on the drain plug and dipstick and the quality of the paint is excellent. It also is designed for the gear oil to flow like the OEM cover. I'd be surprised if it interferes with any aftermarket suspension components.

Last edited:

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I can try and remember to snap one tomorrow. Any reason to not stay with the RK TB? I don’t think you’d be gaining anything going with the steersmart in practical strength.

brett
That’s an option too but I may be able to sell the RK ones and get into the SteerSmarts set-up for not that much more. I’ve only heard theirs is beefier and has great reviews. Don’t think I can go wrong with either and haven’t made up my mind. Just weighing options (I’m also single, unmarried, and no kids + COVID basically means no dating so what else am I going to do :blush:, haha).

Sponsored

David P.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
That’s an option too but I may be able to sell the RK ones and get into the SteerSmarts set-up for not that much more. I’ve only heard theirs is beefier and has great reviews. Don’t think I can go wrong with either and haven’t made up my mind. Just weighing options (I’m also single, unmarried, and no kids + COVID basically means no dating so what else am I going to do :blush:, haha).
Steersmarts would be easier to adjust, right?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Maybe easier to adjust but you’ll never convince me that a pinch bolt is anywhere near as strong as a jam nut. Besides, once you get it set why would you ever need to adjust it again? Don’t get me wrong, they make great stuff and I’ll be getting their drag link and tie rod, but that track bar just creates more problems than it’s worth.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I’m not as mechanically knowledgeable on the matter but I just like the heft of the track bars from SteerSmarts. That’s not a dig at RK‘s either, just wanted to use the beefiest ones on the front and back. Finding diff covers that were compatible was the path I chose. The SteerSmarts rear is incompatible with the RK rear track bar relocation bracket. It is so beefy and rigid that it has not caused any issues for me though. Some may have a different viewpoint though (almost like the 4.88 vs. 5.13 ratio for 37s). Either way, I don’t think you can go wrong!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I’m not as mechanically knowledgeable on the matter but I just like the heft of the track bars from SteerSmarts. That’s not a dig at RK‘s either, just wanted to use the beefiest ones on the front and back. Finding diff covers that were compatible was the path I chose. The SteerSmarts rear is incompatible with the RK rear track bar relocation bracket. It is so beefy and rigid that it has not caused any issues for me though. Some may have a different viewpoint though (almost like the 4.88 vs. 5.13 ratio for 37s). Either way, I don’t think you can go wrong!
Sure they're big, but they still have a pinch-bolt adjuster which will never be as strong as the giant jam nuts that RK uses. The front track bar creates all kinds of clearance issues with stabilizers and diff covers.

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Sure they're big, but they still have a pinch-bolt adjuster which will never be as strong as the giant jam nuts that RK uses. The front track bar creates all kinds of clearance issues with stabilizers and diff covers.
You just said a lot of stuff that went over my head :giggle:...

As far as stabilizers, I just got the SteerSmarts one to go along with their steering linkage set up. Diff covers, I like Motobilt as a company so I’m running their diff covers and no issues with clearance.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You just said a lot of stuff that went over my head :giggle:...

As far as stabilizers, I just got the SteerSmarts one to go along with their steering linkage set up. Diff covers, I like Motobilt as a company so I’m running their diff covers and no issues with clearance.
Look at the adjuster on your SS rear track bar. It has a pinch bolt that you have to loosen in order to adjust it. Now look at the jam nut on your front RK track bar. You have to stick it in a vice and use a giant wrench to loosen it. The pinch bolt makes things much easier to adjust, but like I said earlier, once you get things adjusted you never have to move them again. The jam nut on the RK stuff is magnitudes stronger than the pinch bolt on the SS stuff. SS drag link and tie rod are awesome but their track bars (especially the front) are just giant for no reason but that pinch bolt is still the weak link making the RK setup that you already have superior in my opinion.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
@chevymitchell don’t you have these?
I do use these. I'm a big fan of Dana parts on Dana housings, but I don't buy diff covers for looks. I buy them for their ability to take a hit, but also to make the housing more rigid. Under load, the housing will deflect causing the gears to not mesh completely. This deflection, for people that wheel hard, is something to keep in mind as the stock cover isn't designed to do anything except seal the housing cavity. Most aftermarket covers are made thick for this reason more than the ability to take the hits. Anyway, I do like the look of the Dana cover, but looks wasn't part of my decision making process. @mgroeger and @OMTBiker are running these covers, as well. @conFUcius and @UNC Rubicon run the Motobilt covers. You can't really go wrong with either.
Sponsored