First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
viper88 check out www.wikipedia.org type in a town and it will give you a lot on info from history, demography and weather. i've been using this as part of my search in finding a place that i would like to check out and move to.
Sponsored

Bamaprof

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU EcoDiesel, 2018 Ram 3500 6.7 Dually
Occupation
Professor
Vehicle Showcase
I am sick of the midwestern winters! I am not digging the State of IL and all the taxes either. I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes but I want to see what I am getting. I can tell you it's not much in Chicago. Nothing but politicians getting fat on the backs of tax payers. Not to mention the crime.

People are abandoning IL at a record pace. Illinois is broke. There will never be enough taxes to make up for it. It a ponzi scheme. When the music stops a lot of people will not ave chairs. Not to mention the Chicago pension funds have been mismanaged for decades and are unsustainable. The only real solution is filing for bankruptcy or pension reform. Neither will happen because the politicians and Judges rely on the pensions themselves. They will never cut their own throats.

I noticed a lot of Jeepers are from FL. Any suggestions for areas to retire in FL? Still too early for retirement but need to give it some serious thought.

Gulf or East Coast?

Pros and cons?

Would love to be on the water.

Only visited Miami, the South Beach area and the Keys. Great restaurants and beaches in the South Beach area. I loved all of it. Something to be said about flip flops and shorts year around!

The Miami South Beach area has a lot of condos on the water and is appealing but I wonder if the real-estate there is in a bubble? Some people tell me all the beach front condos are inflated due to huge influxes of wealth escaping South America?

I love the Keys. Key West was so relaxed. Weather is great when it's not hurricane season. The other downside may be all the tourist if you actually live there? And of course cost.

I have friends who live on the Gulf side in the Tampa area. They live there because they are military. They said they would consider the Gulf side further south. I believe Sarasota was mentioned?

Suggestions for the East Coast?

What about hurricanes and storms? How often? How is flood insurance? Originally I planned on buying, about a $500K-$600K budget. I am considering renting first now. Someone else recommended renting full time because of hurricanes? How do you deal with hurricanes?

How about health care on either coast?

Advice?
St. Augustine! Less crowded, more distinct 4 seasons, beautiful, historic, Jacksonville and Orlando short drives.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
I'll throw my .02 in.
Wife and I are ready to get out of Charlotte and head south. Boss gave his blessing for me to work remote, and wife was on the 3rd interview for a great position - then covid19 hit. All hiring suspended, can't show our house to sell, can't travel to look at houses, etc.
Definitely want gulf side, not too crowded but proximity to city if we want, so looking hard at Sarasota. Good job opportunities for the wife, can drive into Tampa if the urge strikes, has a decent airport (I travel a good bit) and plenty of water access. Will be selling our ski boat and already have a center console picked out.
We will likely rent for period of time to get familiar with the area and see what we can afford. Ideally would like a canal side home with a boat lift, but insurance and tax is a concern. No state income tax in FL so that will be an immediate raise.
Not concerned about heat/humidity. Have been to the keys many times in July/August and acclimate quickly.
Anyway, reading through this thread it sounds like there are several of us with the same ideas.
@cosine and @viper88 - good luck and keep us updated on progress.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I have spent some time in FL and I am thinking how much more I enjoy the West in so very many different ways. FL gets oppressively hot and humid in the summer , it can be very expensive if you wish to live in a nice decent neighborhood and good luck seeing a hill .History and people of the West are way closer to my heart than the I wanna look rich , I wanna be slim , I wanna be vegetarian and I wanna just hang on the beach for the rest of my life , sorry but that's so boring.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
I have spent some time in FL and I am thinking how much more I enjoy the West in so very many different ways. FL gets oppressively hot and humid in the summer , it can be very expensive if you wish to live in a nice decent neighborhood and good luck seeing a hill .History and people of the West are way closer to my heart than the I wanna look rich , I wanna be slim , I wanna be vegetarian and I wanna just hang on the beach for the rest of my life , sorry but that's so boring.
OK, you do you sunshine.

Sponsored

Dusty Roads

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys Sport
i'm kinda in the same boat with you in knowing what part of fl to live in.(as one state of a couple that i'm looking at.) not to retire (at least 13 more years to go ) but to move out of ny due to the cold winters, taxes, cost of living and the b.s. that is going on here. i could stick around but looking at options. also i have to see if there's any opening to transfer to a post office.

what i do know is fl is very tax friendly for retire folks, cost of living is cheaper. hurricane, i've been in 1 and chased out of 4 or 5. so thats a concern for me along with the high heat, and vacationers. i'd be interested in looking in the gulf side near the pan handle more to the center bordering ga area.
My wife's side of the family is all from Queens NY. Everyone of them ended up in FLA. We inherited her Mom's house in Sun City Center after she passed. We debated whether we wanted to keep it so we each took a month off in July living in the house and finished sorting out here things. After 30 days in July neither of us wanted anything to do with FLA. in the summer. Sold the house and just continue our early spring trips to Destin. Just like Alaska is a different kind of cold, Florida is different kind of hot. Step out of the house and your glasses fog, by the time you get in the vehicle you're already sweating. Like walking into a wet wall.

Dusty Roads

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys Sport
So Ive lived in Florida all my life. I would suggest the west coast (Gulf) and there are tons of great towns to choose from. I am a St. Pete kind of guy though. Tampa is a great city, tons to do. The Gulf is the best water and beaches in Florida. You couldnt pay me to go into Daytona or the like.
Did the Daytona thing one time, never went back. We started going to Destin around 35 years ago and I've yet to see nicer beaches and better water. I have to say Destin has changed a lot since our first time there. We rented a beach front Bungalow about 30 yards from the water for 45 dollars a day. I could have lived in that place. It and most of the other places along that stretch of old 98 have now been torn down and replaced with big towering monstrosity's.

RZ.

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 Sport S
Occupation
Blueprints & Tarot
Did the Daytona thing one time, never went back. We started going to Destin around 35 years ago and I've yet to see nicer beaches and better water. I have to say Destin has changed a lot since our first time there. We rented a beach front Bungalow about 30 yards from the water for 45 dollars a day. I could have lived in that place. It and most of the other places along that stretch of old 98 have now been torn down and replaced with big towering monstrosity's.

Little late to the party, there Dusty.

These guys were done talking two years ago.

CDRMidnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
How does Naples stack up, in the scheme of Florida spots? Coworker was talking it up the other day, so now I’m curious…

Cheers and Mahalo,
-CM-

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
I'll throw my .02 in.
Wife and I are ready to get out of Charlotte and head south. Boss gave his blessing for me to work remote, and wife was on the 3rd interview for a great position - then covid19 hit. All hiring suspended, can't show our house to sell, can't travel to look at houses, etc.
Definitely want gulf side, not too crowded but proximity to city if we want, so looking hard at Sarasota. Good job opportunities for the wife, can drive into Tampa if the urge strikes, has a decent airport (I travel a good bit) and plenty of water access. Will be selling our ski boat and already have a center console picked out.
We will likely rent for period of time to get familiar with the area and see what we can afford. Ideally would like a canal side home with a boat lift, but insurance and tax is a concern. No state income tax in FL so that will be an immediate raise.
Not concerned about heat/humidity. Have been to the keys many times in July/August and acclimate quickly.
Anyway, reading through this thread it sounds like there are several of us with the same ideas.
@cosine and @viper88 - good luck and keep us updated on progress.
Since this thread has been brought back to life, here's an update:
Past 2 years - Moved to Bradenton (between Sarasota and St Pete) end of June 2020. Bought a house, bought a boat (23' center console), and have spent pretty much every weekend at the beach or on the boat fishing and/or sandbar hopping. Our friends from NC and TN now see us as a vacation destination, and we love it. So much to do and so much to see. The weather doesn't bother us, cools off enough in the winter to call it seasonal. However - if you run, bike, etc, you'll have to get up EARLY during the summer months to exercise without dying of heat stroke.
Current - Took advantage of the housing lunacy a few months ago and sold our house for about double what we paid. Bought a condo just off the Manatee river, close to where we keep the boat. No yard, pool, exterior upkeep which leaves more time for everything else. Can get on the boat and go south toward Ft Myers, Captiva, Sanibel; go north to St Pete, Clearwater; stay local around Anna Maria, Siesta, Lido; or fish inshore and offshore. Honestly, no chance to ever get bored. Very little in the way of off road except up in Ocala or the annual Jeepin w Judd event, but also perfect for doors and top off (with a spider shade) running around.
Future - Condo life is pretty good, challenge is not having a dedicated spot to do Jeep work, but I am managing with a buddy's shop. Political climate is definitely to my liking. Looking at a bigger boat with overnight accommodations. No intention of moving anywhere else.
Sponsored