Fancy

Fancy

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler JLU Sahara
or,dont give a shit what people think ! Best to live your life that way, just sayin
Yes. I
or,dont give a shit what people think ! Best to live your life that way, just sayin
was just trying to be fun
yes! I was just being funny. I didnā€™t realize asking a Jeep related question would garner such responses on here.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fancy

Fancy

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler JLU Sahara
Buy a few of those tie-down anchors. I'm pretty sure you can leave them in place with the soft top, and you just use them to replace the hard top bolts when it's on. Then you can use a cargo net to hold items down, and if you want things out of sight or slightly weather protected you can rig up a tarp as well.

tie down anchors I'm thinking of: https://www.gpca.us/shop/jeep-wrangler-jl-jk-hardtop-quick-release/
Great idea! I will definitely look into those. Thank you!

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Thank you so much for all the info!! I think I decided on the GPCA pro.
Nancy, you may wish to ask if GPCA will sell you only 4, rather than 6 of their bolts I reference above. I think they have a SKU for that. (I'm assuming you are a soft top only purchaser.)

I say this because the two bolts that go under the dog legs, (if you read my "War and Peace" novel length post above) must be the countersunk ones or else the dog legs will not sit properly.

Ask if GPCA provides them. They should (just those 2 countersunk bolts in M8 size and shorter than the bolts normally used to secure the hard top) and I think they do. I think they are hex size and that they provide a hex wrench: it's been a while so I forget.

I say this because I was an early adopted of the cover (a year ago), which they never tested on the soft top. I called them to say you screwed (no pun intended) up in not providing two countersunk screws for under the dog legs for soft top owners and they seem to have done so in subsequent packaging.

Now I test stuff for GPCA: but I don't work for them and pay for merchandise I like, so I independent of them.

If you have issues feel free to ask.

Remember, the bolts that keep the hard top or the GPCA cover down are have Torx size 50 heads, but the dog legs you need to lift up have two bolts near the roof that keep them there that are have smaller Torx size 40 heads.

Both bit sizes come with the wrench that is suppose to come with your rig. Make sure that the dealer provides you the wrench at purchase. If they say they're out, put in on the bill of sale (in writing) that they need to provide one.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I have both the hard and soft top
Ah--Dual top owner!

Nancy: the countersunk M8 bolts I speak of are only required when using the soft top and its dog legs.

Clearly, you will get the factory M8 bolts as part of your new vehicle by virtue of the fact that you ordered, I now see, the Dual top.

This makes purchase of the GPCA bolts an option, not a requirement; a "nice to have" if you will for the GPCA bolts tie down capabilities.

~~~~~

On a completely separate note, your soft top will come in a humongous sized box that occupies the entirety of the space behind the front seats, (baring the area higher than the seats) with the back seats folded down, right on back to the tailgate. This brings with it some implications.

• There is little room to bring extra gear with you to the dealer when purchasing the vehicle. But for the front passenger's seat and the area above the humongous box, there is limited space, so pack to the dealer lightly. I say this because some people travel large distances to the dealer for great prices (I did) and need to pack "their tooth brush," etc.
  • When you open this humongous box at home that holds the soft top, save the box inside it that is large as well--although smaller--that is very tall and wide, but shallow. It holds the soft windows and comes in handy as a storage space for those windows during times of the year that you are running with the hard top.
  • I don't know if they changed the design since the JL's release, but the hardware that holds your disconnected electric and washer fluid cables for the rear hard top window, when the soft top is installed, has a design flaw. Using it gets in the way of things closing on the soft top. Just hang these cables off to the side when running with the soft top if this hasn't been corrected and don't use the cable holding device at all.

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon

Sponsored

Rebacon

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon JL
I'd be interested in knowing if this is made out of decent quality material and can hold items stored on top of it...anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance...

I just bought the bikini top they sell for my JLUR and was surprised how nice the material was.
Storing something on top the tonneau cover, I would guess not since it has no support.

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
I just bought the bikini top they sell for my JLUR and was surprised how nice the material was.
Storing something on top the tonneau cover, I would guess not since it has no support.
Ok thanks for responding!

OP
OP
Fancy

Fancy

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler JLU Sahara
Nancy, you may wish to ask if GPCA will sell you only 4, rather than 6 of their bolts I reference above. I think they have a SKU for that. (I'm assuming you are a soft top only purchaser.)

I say this because the two bolts that go under the dog legs, (if you read my "War and Peace" novel length post above) must be the countersunk ones or else the dog legs will not sit properly.

Ask if GPCA provides them. They should (just those 2 countersunk bolts in M8 size and shorter than the bolts normally used to secure the hard top) and I think they do. I think they are hex size and that they provide a hex wrench: it's been a while so I forget.

I say this because I was an early adopted of the cover (a year ago), which they never tested on the soft top. I called them to say you screwed (no pun intended) up in not providing two countersunk screws for under the dog legs for soft top owners and they seem to have done so in subsequent packaging.

Now I test stuff for GPCA: but I don't work for them and pay for merchandise I like, so I independent of them.

If you have issues feel free to ask.

Remember, the bolts that keep the hard top or the GPCA cover down are have Torx size 50 heads, but the dog legs you need to lift up have two bolts near the roof that keep them there that are have smaller Torx size 40 heads.

Both bit sizes come with the wrench that is suppose to come with your rig. Make sure that the dealer provides you the wrench at purchase. If they say they're out, put in on the bill of sale (in writing) that they need to provide one.
Thank you so much for all the info!! I will make sure to look into all of that!!

burke2000

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wranger JLU Rubicon 2020
Occupation
BANKER
hey all!!

I am about a week away from FINALLY getting my Jeep I ordered!! YAY!! So...my question is this...what is the best cargo cover for a 2020 JLU Sahara? Iā€™m a first time owner so Iā€™m all new at this. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Nancy
I have the GCPA cover on my list if my JLUR ever arrivers!!! Ordered in July and have to wait until December.... joys of living abroad.....
From what I have researched (hours and hours) this is the only option that will allow you to have te top up or down and not have to remove it.

https://www.gpca.us/shop/gpca-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited-cargo-cover-pro/

The other option they gave you, the Shadeidea Jeep Wrangler Tonneau Cover, looks like you cannot have it on atbthe same time as the soft top as it uses (not an expert but it looks like it on the pictures).

I will be ordering my GPCA Pro cover next months as I will be in the US for a week.

Sponsored

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
I have the GPCA Pro cover. Had it on all summer with top off. It is just OK. Black faded from the sun and looks a little purple now. Also, the ends at the gate end sag quite a bit and flap around in the wind no matter how much you "cinch" it up with the velcro. However, it does keep items from flying out, and hides items nicely with the top on. Nice concept and price, but the quality/durability don't seem to be there.

I think next season I will be looking at something like the Rampage.
I feel the same way. No matter how I tighten etc I can't get it to be tight all the way around (like the marketing material) and like you the end near the gate sags. Since I didn't put my soft top on this summer it isn't a huge deal but I'd like if it was a better fit.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
I feel the same way. No matter how I tighten etc I can't get it to be tight all the way around (like the marketing material) and like you the end near the gate sags. Since I didn't put my soft top on this summer it isn't a huge deal but I'd like if it was a better fit.
I thought of modifying somehow- maybe some Velcro strips on inside of gate to fatten end to?

Scott_F

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
I have the GPCA Pro cover. Had it on all summer with top off. It is just OK. Black faded from the sun and looks a little purple now. Also, the ends at the gate end sag quite a bit and flap around in the wind no matter how much you "cinch" it up with the velcro. However, it does keep items from flying out, and hides items nicely with the top on. Nice concept and price, but the quality/durability don't seem to be there.

I think next season I will be looking at something like the Rampage.
Same here. My GPCA is fading after a couple months and doesn't fit that well. The Rampage looks nice. I'd be interested in any reports on it AND the available windbreaker. I'd really like to find something that cuts down on the forward flow of air up the middle of the vehicle with the top/doors off. (I wear hearing aids and the wind noise is pretty annoying through them)

-s
Sponsored