First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Sumitomo is also a good tire, the Japanese parent company of Falken.

Kenda is from Taiwan. I use, and really like, their mountain bike tires, but have no experience with their automotive tires. The ones posted above look nice.

The load ranges I would stick with would be SL, XL, both in p rated sizes, or Load Range C. The D and E rated tires ride rough at recommended PSI. They are great when aired way down for serious rough terrain use though. By based on how you intend to use your Jeep.

Avoid Chinese or Indonesian made tires.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bailey525

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Sumitomo is also a good tire, the Japanese parent company of Falken.

Kenda is from Taiwan. I use, and really like, their mountain bike tires, but have no experience with there automotive tires. The ones posted above look nice.

The load ranges I would stick with would be SL, XL, both in p rated sizes, or Load Range C. The D and E rated tires ride rough at recommended PSI. They are great when aired way down for serious rough terrain use though. By based on how you intend to use your Jeep.

Avoid Chinese or Indonesian made tires.
Thanks for your input man, Honestly just got back from dealer lot looking at used jeeps on the lot, I can’t make up my mind on the 255/75/17 or 265/70/17. Both looked good on the lot, definitely better than the bald 245 highway tires on there now. The 265’s were just a hair thicker but to me not by much and of course the 255/75’s were a bit taller and still thicker than the 245’s. I want as little impact on MPG and ride as possible and don’t want to have to worry about tuning changes etc…

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Thank you, although the Kenda I found is for this one:

https://tirehungry.com/kenda-klever-at2-tire-review/
I just ordered these today for my Rubicon in a 315X70R17. Looking forward to getting them mounted. If you're worried about snow and such, maybe look at the Kenda Klever RT's. My last Jeep had Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's on it and they are fantastic. If you're not going big, then you can just go Cooper AT3 4s or something. They're very good tires.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
You can find 255s in SL and C ratings, which both provide a good ride. Most 255/75/17s are about 32" tall give ot take a tenth and most 265/70/17s are 31.5" tall give or take a tenth of an inch. Both will fit with no lift needed and no modification to the speedometer needed. Pick what like and what fits your budget.

I have found that the 265/70s are running about $50 a tire cheaper than 255/75s

OP
OP

Bailey525

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can find 255s in SL and C ratings, which both provide a good ride. Most 255/75/17s are about 32" tall give ot take a tenth and most 265/70/17s are 31.5" tall give or take a tenth of an inch. Both will fit with no lift needed and no modification to the speedometer needed. Pick what like and what fits your budget.

I have found that the 265/70s are running about $50 a tire cheaper than 255/75s
ok cool so neither one will require any mods or changes with regards to tuning and speedometer? Someone had mentioned that but wasn’t quite sure

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bailey525

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just ordered these today for my Rubicon in a 315X70R17. Looking forward to getting them mounted. If you're worried about snow and such, maybe look at the Kenda Klever RT's. My last Jeep had Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's on it and they are fantastic. If you're not going big, then you can just go Cooper AT3 4s or something. They're very good tires.
I’ll take a look at the RT’s. Are those All Terrain or Mud Terrain tires? Wife drives it too and All Terrains were the middle ground choice, lol

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
No, anything within 1/2" will make no noticeable difference. Even at 1" most wouldn't notice.

You tires are probably worn down 1/2" from new now as it is. So even new 245s would look bigger compared to what you have.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Here's a list of all the tires Discount Tire has available in 265/70/17. I edited out the load range E tires and any with less than a 4 star rating. Even at 4 stars, there are some tires there I would not buy.

https://www.discounttire.com/fitmen...ingRange:4.0 - 4.9&sort=bestSeller-asc&page=0

You can read the reviews and see the prices. You can switch to 255/75/17 too, if you want to see what is in that size.

OP
OP

Bailey525

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's a list of all the tires Discount Tire has available in 265/70/17. I edited out the load range E tires and any with less than a 4 star rating. Even at 4 stars, there are some tires there I would not buy.

https://www.discounttire.com/fitmentresult/tires/size/265-70-17?q=:bestSeller-asc:loadRange:C1:loadRange:XL:loadRange:SL:allVehiclesRatingRange:5.0 - 5.0:allVehiclesRatingRange:4.0 - 4.9&sort=bestSeller-asc&page=0

You can read the reviews and see the prices. You can switch to 255/75/17 too, if you want to see what is in that size.
Thanks, appreciate the help. I will take a look, I’ve also been using Simple Tire website too..

OP
OP

Bailey525

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

https://www.discounttire.com/fitmentresult/tires/size/265-70-17?q=:bestSeller-asc:loadRange:C1:loadRange:XL:loadRange:SL:allVehiclesRatingRange:5.0 - 5.0:allVehiclesRatingRange:4.0 - 4.9&sort=bestSeller-asc&page=0

All set, ordered from Simple Tire, will have in 3 business days. I settled for 255/75/17 ones in the Kenda Klever AT2 SL rated. Got a great deal.. Thanks for all your help👍

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
You will like the way they look after replacing the worn out 245s. Let us know what you think of them and give periodic reviews as you put miles on them.

They are reviewed very well and I'd venture to say are far better than the Milestar tires, which were all the rage here last year.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bailey525

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You will like the way they look after replacing the worn out 245s. Let us know what you thin of them and give periodic reviews as you put miles on them.

They are reviewed very well and I'd venture to say are far better than the Milestar tires, which were all the rage here last year.
I definitely will…

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I’ll take a look at the RT’s. Are those All Terrain or Mud Terrain tires? Wife drives it too and All Terrains were the middle ground choice, lol
I know you've already purchased the AT2's but just to answer your question these are a hybrid MT/AT tire. It stands for Rugged Terrain. You probably chose the right ones for your use case. I almost puked the trigger on the RT's because I wanted 35's without swapping my wheels and those offer a 10.5" width version. Ultimately picked the AT2's because they should wear longer and be quieter on the road. Good luck with them!

OP
OP

Bailey525

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know you've already purchased the AT2's but just to answer your question these are a hybrid MT/AT tire. It stands for Rugged Terrain. You probably chose the right ones for your use case. I almost puked the trigger on the RT's because I wanted 35's without swapping my wheels and those offer a 10.5" width version. Ultimately picked the AT2's because they should wear longer and be quieter on the road. Good luck with them!
Thanks man, Yes, I got two today, was supposed to be all 5 but Fed X thought it would make sense to send them out on different days and trucks, lol. They look awesome though..

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Thanks man, Yes, I got two today, was supposed to be all 5 but Fed X thought it would make sense to send them out on different days and trucks, lol. They look awesome though..
Here's my Jeep with the Kenda Klever A/T2's (315X70R17). I've only had them on for about 6 miles so haven't formed much of an opinion yet. I did not they're every bit as quiet as the stock KO2's I took off. I'll put a couple hundred miles on them today so will know more by this evening. My spare tire won't fit anymore though.
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Budget A/T Tires for 2018 JL 20211016_083035
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Budget A/T Tires for 2018 JL 20211016_083123
Sponsored

Last edited: