Nkyzr2

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Liberty, 2009 Chrysler T&C
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious what method is most common breaking in their new JL’s?
Sponsored

Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Two threads with "break" in the title, counting this one. Was tough to find.

(So rare to have a forum with an effective search tool. Hopefully it continues to be reasonably effective as the volume increases.)

OP
OP

Nkyzr2

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Liberty, 2009 Chrysler T&C
Vehicle Showcase
Sarcasm is one of my strongest and best traits also!

(I thought people on here were nice, I think I need a safe place to cry!)

Not like I’m worried about the break in period... just curious what others are doing. Sounds like I’ll be cruising by at 75mph give a jeep wave as I pass others.

JCstingray

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport Altitude 2.0T Sting Gray
Hi guys,
Got my new JLU 2.0 Sting gray altitude sport yesterday. Never had a new car before, always used. Came straight from the rig, had about 19 miles on it already.

Tried to follow break in procedure from manual but kind of impossible for me with work and all. I did baby the first 60mi not going over 50mph, on city streets and kept rpms <4k. However once I hit 60mi, I went straight highway, fluctuating from 60-80 mph not to exceed rpms 4k with brief WOTs. You all think that should be ok for break in or am I fudged...

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Congrats on your JLU. Assuming you have the 3.6. You're fine. Just drive moderately for the next 300. You've done more to help your JLU than a lot of people. I've read some have driven it 100's of miles home from the dealer at highway speeds the whole time, never giving it a thought. Good job.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Just drive as you normally would. Change the oil way before the oil life monitor says, like 2-3k miles. Then enjoy.

Sponsored

Mr80thSnaz

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998,1999 Neon R/T: '21 JLU 80th
I will add this.... a former (Retired) Chrysler Engineer who raced in his spare time said this on breaking in an engine..." Its not the miles its the heat cycles". Most of us, even if its only got 2 miles on it, will have a broken in engine. Its been through its final shakedown, its been heat cycled properly. Take it for what its worth... I've varied my speed, and will be doing an oil change at 2500, then extend them from there. Not really worried about engine break in anymore.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Unfortunately unless you ordered it and are sure that no one else has driven it than it is more than likely to late to worry about with all the dealership studs and customers test driving it. The good news is, it is not a boat motor and a lot more forgiving.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Of all the new vehicles that are sold I wonder what percentage have had any specific care for a break-in period? I bet its much less than half the vehicles. So more than half the vehicles on the road should be failing prematurely.
Sponsored