Sponsored

Best Brand Level II charger for 4Xe?

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm trading my Jeep for a 4Xe tomorrow and am wanting to pick up a Level II charger, any suggestions as to the best one for the money? I don't want to skimp on quality, prefer to pay more to get a good one...

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Planning to trade on a 2023 Hydro Blue Sahara 4Xe with Safety, Advanced Safety, Cold Weather, Side Steps, Black 3-Piece hard top.
Sponsored

Mowcowbell

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I bought the Autel Maxicharger home. It will charge the Jeep from empty to full in a little over 2 hours. Has WiFi and an app on your phone where you can track energy used and cost. You can also adjust the amperage output from 6-40amps. You can get it in hard wired or NEMA 14-50/6-50 versions.

OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

Mowcowbell

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I bought the one with the separate holster for the J1772 connector, but the one pictured above is the same otherwise.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Have had a ChargePoint charger for 3 years now. Good name brand, good support and has worked well. I went with them because they are everywhere. Lots of other companies now but they are one of the original.

Sponsored

GMONEY

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2D Rubi Earl
Clubs

For my Tesla I just had a NEMA 14-50 installed vice a dedicated charger. I did have ti buy the adapter for my charger to plug in but overall I decided this was the best way to go.

I didn't do a dedicated charger for multiple reasons:

1. Teslas are proprietary and if I want a new EV it may not work.

2. NEMA 14-50 can be used for other things than just charging a vehicle

3. Charger requires permit (at least where I live) 14-50 does not.

Charging is slightly slower but I charge overnight and can still add 150 miles in 5 hours at home.

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Juicebox FTW! I've had it for 1.5 years with no issues, concerns, or problems.

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Clipper creek charger.
I’ve installed 8 of them at the dealer. Clipper creek makes the same unit with dealer brand insignias. Kia are the ones we put in as well.

you really can’t go wrong with any of those listed above.

CC05A48E-6E34-46B5-8CA0-B854D3FF5920.jpeg

Oceanic

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
I've been very pleased with the entry-level Grizzle-E. It's rugged, simple, and relatively inexpensive. Since mine is installed outdoors, the rigorous weatherproofing is a plus.

Sponsored

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Rubicon XR
A charger is nothing special. Sure, some have programming to show you how much has been used - but that is more interesting than actually useful info. Some boxes look prettier than others. And some people may have had a bad experience with one brand or another (which could be attributed tn their home wiring, versus the charger - who knows).

I bought one off of eBay for under $300. At the time, we were in an apartment, and the dryer outlet was the only thing I could access. It was a 30 amp outlet, IIRC, and the charger had a feature where you could adjust the output current to 32A, 24A, or 16A. I swapped the plug to go into the 30A outlet, And set the charger to 24A to avoid overheating the circuit. When we moved back into our house, I wired a 40A outlet, returned the 32A plug to the charger, and then set the charger back to charge at 32A.

You didn’t ask my opinion, but this is the internet, so FWIW - I would not buy a 4XE again. The service support from the network is still not there. I got rid of mine and smiled the day it left.

Dabrakeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I too have the Grizzle and am very happy with it. Bought it mainly because mine will be 100% exposed to the elements and I am in a fairly harsh climate. One thing to keep in mind though is that many energy companies (in the US at least) give credits on level 2 charger purchases but there are stipulations. My provider requires that the charger be Energy Star compliant which the Grizzle is not. However, that requirement had a grandfather period that allowed exemption if the unit was purchased this year. The credit is worth $500 so worth checking out with your provider before you buy.

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Definitely check with your provider for discounts or credits. Highly recommend the ChargePoint Level 2. It’s worked flawlessly and the app is amazing.

Cruise

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
I like my Chargepoint, pretty sure any known brand would work though, I would just stay away from lesser known brands. Also check with your electric company for possible rebates, I got my charge point for under $300 through my electric company ($500 off).
Sponsored