First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
One of the reasons I’m buying a Wrangler is to tow it behind my motor home. Since most states require the towed (toad) to have a braking system while being towed, what does anyone recommend?

I tow with a 40,000 lb bus, max gvw is 53,000 lbs. When I tow, the bus is large and also has Jake brakes, I generally can’t tell there is anything back there. But I want to comply with the laws.
Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
One of the reasons I’m buying a Wrangler is to tow it behind my motor home. Since most states require the towed (toad) to have a braking system while being towed, what does anyone recommend?

I tow with a 40,000 lb bus, max gvw is 53,000 lbs. When I tow, the bus is large and also has Jake brakes, I generally can’t tell there is anything back there. But I want to comply with the laws.
Curious, what states do you flat tow thru that require the toad / a car, to have a breaking system?

In case you are interested, RoadMaster just came out with a base plate offering for the JL/JLU toad. Blue Ox will have their's out in about 30 days.

For rear brake lighting on the JL/JLU toad you will want to go with a wireless set-up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mrjimmystewart

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Since the jeep is over 3,000 lbs, all but 5 or 6 states require a supplemental braking system.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Since the jeep is over 3,000 lbs, all but 5 or 6 states require a supplemental braking system.
Yup, actually around 8 or 9 states, if I remember correctly. I think those same states are not mandating a Break-away either.

OP
OP
Mrjimmystewart

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Since the Wrangler is over 3,000 lbs, every state but the below listed requires a braking system in the toad. only Texas has a higher limit of 4,500 lbs. Since I live in California, and travel to neighboring states, I figure I clearly need an auxiliary system. I'm just not sure which might be the best one to get. Maybe this is not the board to ask, but perhaps an RV site. It seems most here are driving, not towing!!

Special Requirements States and Provinces:

Oregon - Independent braking system not required, but combination of vehicles must be able to stop within legal limits.
Wyoming, Kansas - Every combination of vehicles must have a service braking system that will stop the combination of vehicles within 40 feet from an initial speed of 20 mph on a level, dry, smooth, hard surface.
Missouri - Independent braking system not required except on trailers coupled by a 5th-wheel and kingpin.
Kentucky - Kentucky law does not specifically require brakes on many passenger car trailers, regardless of weight. However, vehicles singular or in combination must be able to stop within distance specified by statute.
New Jersey - Every trailer and semitrailer must have brakes that can be automatically applied upon break-away from the towing vehicle, and means shall be provided to stop and hold the vehicle for an adequate period of time.
In any combination of motor vehicles, means shall be provided for applying the trailer or semitrailer brakes in approximate synchronism with the brakes on the towing vehicles and creating the required braking effort on the wheels of the rear-most vehicle at the fastest rate, or means shall be provided for applying the braking effort first on the rearmost vehicle equipped with brakes.
Brakes are required on all wheels for all trailers or semitrailers with a gross weight over 3,000 pounds; provided. The gross weight of any such trailer without brakes shall not exceed 40% of the gross weight of the towing vehicle.
Delaware - Every motor vehicle when operated on a highway shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement, and to stop and hold such vehicle and any trailer attached thereto, including 2 separate means of applying the brakes.
Newfoundland - The service brakes on a combination of vehicles must be capable of bringing the motor vehicle and a fully loaded combination of vehicles to a standstill at 30 km/h under the following conditions: (1) in a straight line; (2) within 10 meters from the point at which the brakes were applied; and (3) on a dry and level paved surface made of either asphalt or concrete that is free from.

Sponsored

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase

I have always used a BrakeBuddy when towing our jeeps behind our BAMH.

smoore11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ, BMW X3, Jeep Sahara JL, Newmar Dutchstar 4369

I will be installing a Brake Buddy Stealth braking system. I got the new Roadmaster Baseplate today. My problem is tying to get the Morpar RV Towing wiring harness to connect the Stealth to the JL lights.

Kenc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM TRX, 2020 C8 Corvette, and a Wrangler 392
Occupation
Boat Builder
I will be installing a Brake Buddy Stealth braking system. I got the new Roadmaster Baseplate today. My problem is tying to get the Morpar RV Towing wiring harness to connect the Stealth to the JL lights.
I need the same harness. Does anyone know if the JK harness would work?

TXsurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU SS
I bought a BO Patriot system from my neighbor that he used in in his JK - seems to work OK in my JL

Dcmtfam

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Cooltech now has the tail light wiring harness for flat tow for the JL. I have three different vehicles that I tow so it is more economical to use a portable unit. I started off with the Brake Buddy years ago. I now use the RVIbrake 3. Very happy with it.

Sponsored

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
Whichever braking system you choose, make sure it provides proportional braking.

If your coach is equipped with air brakes, consider the SMI Air Force One. All you need to prepare it for towing is to connect a single quick-connect air-line.

We've had an AirForce One in our Mountain Aire for more than 50K miles now and it will be coming out of our Honda CR-V and going into our JLU, as soon as it arrives.

If anyone else has an AirForce One installed, I would be interested to hear about where you mounted the under-hood control unit. It looks like it should be able to tuck in beside the battery but I won't know for sure until I hear back from someone or when my JLU arrives.

OP
OP
Mrjimmystewart

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
follow up.
I installed the Cool Tech wiring harness, no diodes, uses jeep tail lights so no light bars either.

I installed a Blue Ox base plate for towing, as it also allows use of the Rusty's winch plate with stock steel bumper

I will be purchasing the Demco Dominator Tow bar as it is the lightest at 30 lbs and as far as I can tell, has the best, easiest to release, non binding releases. Very important with a jeep and the offroad, potentially uneven surfaces I expect to traverse.

I will be purchasing the RVi3 braking system. Looks like it is the easiest to set up - they have been designing braking systems for many years so this is a very refined product that works very well. All the braking systems have tradeoffs, I like these the best.

rlust

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JKU
Whichever braking system you choose, make sure it provides proportional braking.

If your coach is equipped with air brakes, consider the SMI Air Force One. All you need to prepare it for towing is to connect a single quick-connect air-line.

We've had an AirForce One in our Mountain Aire for more than 50K miles now and it will be coming out of our Honda CR-V and going into our JLU, as soon as it arrives.

If anyone else has an AirForce One installed, I would be interested to hear about where you mounted the under-hood control unit. It looks like it should be able to tuck in beside the battery but I won't know for sure until I hear back from someone or when my JLU arrives.
Where did you install the AF1 unit on the Jeep? I have a 2017 JKU.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
My AF1 is an older larger model. The latest ones are significantly thinner. My initial thought was to slide it in between the right inner fender and the battery but it was a hair too tight for my thicker older model. If you have one of the newer thinner models, it might fit there. I bend a bracket out of aluminum flat stock and mounted it above and to the left of the fuse box. The bracket supports the end closest to the engine cover and it bolted to an existing bolt along the top of the firewall.

The hood actually sits high on the inside so there are multiple alternatives available.

C5er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I am torn between the Blue OX Patriot 3 and the RVi3 has anyone else compared the two?
Sponsored